Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › United States is the ONLY Nation in the World to Imprison Children For Life
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) United States is the ONLY Nation in the World to Imprison Children For Life (Read 777 times)
Nazi Hunter B.S.C.
LNF Speaker

Bronze Swimming Certificate

United States is the ONLY Nation in the World to Imprison Children For Life
Sep 6th, 2017 at 6:14am
Print Post  
We really ought to be ashamed of ourselves, particularly Florida, our worst offender.  This tough on crime, three strikes and you're out bullshit is leading us straight to hell.

https://www.panjury.com/verdict/us-the-only-nation-in-the-world-to-imprison-c

Dr. Louis Kraus, the chairman of the juvenile justice reform committee at the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, called the practice “a devastating process to even conceptualize.” “These kids have not developed. These are eighth-graders and, in some states, younger than that,” he said.

Issuing life sentences for children is banned under numerous international laws, including the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, the Convention Against Torture and the U.N. Convention on the Rights of the Child — which the U.S. and South Sudan are the only two states to have signed but not ratified. Also, a U.N. oversight body has found that the sentence violates the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination, since youths of color are more likely to receive the sentence than white offenders.

« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2017 at 8:20am by Nazi Hunter B.S.C. »  

"Be Kind; Everyone You Meet is Fighting a Hard Battle" Plato

IP Logged

crepe05
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Re: United States is the ONLY Nation in the World to Imprison Children For Life
Reply #1 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 6:32am
Print Post  
Oh, the poor, sweet innocent kids.  How dare we get them off the streets forever for killing others?  The one poor sweet innocent kid they mentioned was a 14 y.o. girl who stabbed to death two girls of a rival gang.  Yeah, imprison her until she's 18 and let her try it again.

We don't put people in prison because of their age.  We put them in prison because of the crime they committed.

IP Logged

Nazi Hunter B.S.C.
LNF Speaker

Reply #2 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 6:48am
Print Post  
crepe05 wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 6:32am:
Oh, the poor, sweet innocent kids.  How dare we get them off the streets forever for killing others?  The one poor sweet innocent kid they mentioned was a 14 y.o. girl who stabbed to death two girls of a rival gang.  Yeah, imprison her until she's 18 and let her try it again.

We don't put people in prison because of their age.  We put them in prison because of the crime they committed. 

Did you read the article?  I'm guessing not.  The U.S. Supreme Court disagrees with you and has since made the practice unconstitutional, though some states are still asshats like Florida.

Developmental psychology aside, there are more reasons to consider.

Delivering the opinion of the court, Justice Elena Kagan wrote, “Mandatory life without parole for a juvenile precludes consideration of his chronological age and its hallmark features — among them, immaturity, impetuosity and failure to appreciate risks and consequences. It prevents taking into account the family and home environment that surrounds him — and from which he cannot usually extricate himself — no matter how brutal or dysfunctional.”

IP Logged

walkstall
Hardhat
Conservative Caucus
LNF Bunker

WYSIWYG

Reply #3 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 6:58am
Print Post  

Some other Nations just off them.

Dem's new 2018 platform, we are trusted more than CNN!

IP Logged

crepe05
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #4 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 7:11am
Print Post  
Nazi Hunter B.S.C. wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 6:48am:
Did you read the article?  I'm guessing not.  The U.S. Supreme Court disagrees with you and has since made the practice unconstitutional, though some states are still asshats like Florida.

Developmental psychology aside, there are more reasons to consider.

Delivering the opinion of the court, Justice Elena Kagan wrote, “Mandatory life without parole for a juvenile precludes consideration of his chronological age and its hallmark features — among them, immaturity, impetuosity and failure to appreciate risks and consequences. It prevents taking into account the family and home environment that surrounds him — and from which he cannot usually extricate himself — no matter how brutal or dysfunctional.”

Yeah, I read the article.   It did not talk about the large number of kids raised in the same way who did not  kill people.  As for the S.C., I'm giving my opinion, which is what I thought this board is all about and is allowed.  I don't believe that the Supreme Court is infallible.   Their decisions must be followed or else we would have anarchy, but I don't have to agree with all of them.

IP Logged

The Original Wally
Hardhat
Conservative Caucus

Cunning... is but the
low mimic of wisdom ~Plato

Reply #5 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 8:19am
Print Post  
Nazi Hunter B.S.C. wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 6:14am:
We really ought to be ashamed of ourselves, particularly Florida, our worst offender.  This tough on crime, three strikes and you're out bullshit is leading s straight to hell.

https://www.panjury.com/verdict/us-the-only-nation-in-the-world-to-imprison-c

Dr. Louis Kraus, the chairman of the juvenile justice reform committee at the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, called the practice “a devastating process to even conceptualize.” “These kids have not developed. These are eighth-graders and, in some states, younger than that,” he said.

Issuing life sentences for children is banned under numerous international laws, including the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, the Convention Against Torture and the U.N. Convention on the Rights of the Child — which the U.S. and South Sudan are the only two states to have signed but not ratified. Also, a U.N. oversight body has found that the sentence violates the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination, since youths of color are more likely to receive the sentence than white offenders.

The problem of life time imprisonment of children could be easily fixed with electric highchairs!

" The few will always act like the few.

Machiavelli

WWWAIM  
IP Logged

Limey
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #6 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 8:22am
Print Post  
The Original Wally wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 8:19am:
The problem of life time imprisonment of children could be easily fixed with electric highchairs!

I knew that the conservatives included some callous people  but I didn't know that you were in that sub-set.
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2017 at 8:46am by Limey »  

Under Capitalism, Man exploits Man.

Under Communism, it's the exact opposite.

IP Logged

Nazi Hunter B.S.C.
LNF Speaker

Reply #7 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 8:23am
Print Post  
walkstall wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 6:58am:
Some other Nations just off them. 

Arguably more humane than a lifetime of imprisonment.

IP Logged

The Original Wally
Hardhat
Conservative Caucus

Cunning... is but the
low mimic of wisdom ~Plato

Reply #8 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 8:23am
Print Post  
Limey wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 8:22am:
I knew that the conservatives included some sick scum but I didn't know that you were in that sub-set.

The Libs all just want to murder them in their mother's womb.  Far more 'compassionate'!

" The few will always act like the few.

Machiavelli

WWWAIM  
IP Logged

Nazi Hunter B.S.C.
LNF Speaker

Reply #9 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 8:30am
Print Post  
crepe05 wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 7:11am:
Yeah, I read the article.   It did not talk about the large number of kids raised in the same way who did not  kill people.  As for the S.C., I'm giving my opinion, which is what I thought this board is all about and is allowed.  I don't believe that the Supreme Court is infallible.   Their decisions must be followed or else we would have anarchy, but I don't have to agree with all of them.

No kid is ever raised the same way, what a ridiculous statement.  Even children in the same household, raised by the same parents can have varied upbringings. On top of that, each individual person has there own set of mitigating circumstances that the court will take into account.

In essence, the SCOTUS decided it was true that children are different than adults and can not be held to the same standard lest we run afoul of the 8th amendment. 

Incidentally or on purpose, it's a biblical idea to begin with and should be adopted by any nation daring to call itself Christian.

When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me.  1 Corinthians 13:11
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2017 at 8:44am by Nazi Hunter B.S.C. »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › United States is the ONLY Nation in the World to Imprison Children For Life

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog