Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › hurricane irma
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) hurricane irma (Read 663 times)
forgotten centrist
LNF Speaker

bring back the middle
class!

Re: hurricane irma
Reply #10 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
Here we form a complete three-dimensional variability space of tropical cyclone climate where the variabilities are continuously linked and find that global ocean warmth best explains the out-of-phase relationship between intensity and frequency of global tropical cyclones. In a year with greater ocean warmth, the tropical troposphere is capped by higher pressure anomaly in the middle and upper troposphere even with higher moist static energy anomaly in the lower troposphere, which is thought to inhibit overall tropical cyclone occurrences but lead to greater intensities.

https://www.nature.com/articles/nclimate2646.epdf

Nominated for 2016...
- Liberal of the Year
- Conservative of the Year
- Centrist of the Year

IP Logged

Frank1
LNF Majority Leader

Reply #11 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
The capitalists really have a hard time admitting that our industrial system is bad for the environment and has a negative effect on it.

Since these people call themselves "conservatives" they give us real conservatives a bad name.

True conservatives are generally more or less luddites.

As Tolkien said: "I side with the trees against all their enemies."

To say homo sapiens, is to say Homo religiosus; there is no man without God. ~Frithjof Schuon

IP Logged

RWB
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Obama Hillary Lynch and
James Comey for prison

Reply #12 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Wadsworth wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 2:26pm:
Yeah, and the former 1st lady is a tranney Roll Eyes
maybe with all your years of experience you could teach him how to tuck  Cheesy

Liberalism The incurable disease.

IP Logged

wyattstorch2004
LNF Speaker

GO CUBS

Reply #13 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
Willy᾿s Wonka wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 2:29pm:

What does that graph look like if we were to show absolute number of category 3, 4 and 5 hurricanes?

Also, is the darker line a trend line?  What is the formula creating that line?

IP Logged

wyattstorch2004
LNF Speaker

GO CUBS

Reply #14 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
Frank1 wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 2:35pm:
The capitalists really have a hard time admitting that our industrial system is bad for the environment and has a negative effect on it.

Since these people call themselves "conservatives" they give us real conservatives a bad name.

True conservatives are generally more or less luddites.

As Tolkien said: "I side with the trees against all their enemies."

I would consider myself a capitalist and have no problem admitting that our industrial system is bad for the environment.  But if is often worth it.

Also, wouldn't the luddites oppose all sorts of technological efficiencies that might lessen that harm?

IP Logged

Frank1
LNF Majority Leader

Reply #15 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
wyattstorch2004 wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 2:43pm:
I would consider myself a capitalist and have no problem admitting that our industrial system is bad for the environment.  But if is often worth it.

Also, wouldn't the luddites oppose all sorts of technological efficiencies that might lessen that harm?

Luddites would say that technology is not the answer to our environmental problems, but that rather we must return to a simpler way of life.

Wendell Berry points out that basically our world is run on controlled explosions (the combustion engine).  How can we expect an economic system that is run on burning up the earth (coal, oil etc.), through controlled explosions, to be sustainable? 

*Note to Limey, I believe a new collection of Berry's essays titled "The World Ending Fire" is going to be (or maybe has been?) published in the UK.

To say homo sapiens, is to say Homo religiosus; there is no man without God. ~Frithjof Schuon

IP Logged

wyattstorch2004
LNF Speaker

GO CUBS

Reply #16 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
Frank1 wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 2:51pm:
Luddites would say that technology is not the answer to our environmental problems, but that rather we must return to a simpler way of life.

I wasn't referring to technology being the answer to environmental problems.  I was referring to technology which, as a side benefit, is better for the environment.  Say a loom that allows factories to operate on much less energy but requires far less workers to operate per item produced?  Wouldn't the luddite oppose this technology being used? 

How about technology that allows money to be sent around the globe electronically in an instant.  Probably cost a lot of workers their jobs, but man is it ever good for the environment to send money this way, rather than physical transportation.  Right?  How would the luddite feel?

And then there is the technology that might harm the environment but allows people to eat that otherwise might not.  Like farming technology.  I know you would have everyone simply farming for their own family.  But what if that is not feasible as it wouldn't be for a great many?  Is it better that these folks survive, or that we, instead, let them day for the sake of the environment?

IP Logged

USyeah
LNF Majority Leader

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #17 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 8:53pm
Print Post  

oh come on here's the real reason  Roll Eyes

"A number of Christian leaders have blamed LGBT people for causing Hurricane Harvey.

Despite overwhelming evidence that supports climate change as a factor in the devastating storm and subsequent flooding, a handful of evangelical leaders have ludicrously suggested the LGBT community are to blame.

Minister Kevin Swanson, who holds notoriously homophobic views, said Houston had sinned by having a "very, very aggressively pro-homosexual mayor."
“Jesus sends the message home, unless Americans repent, unless Houston repents, unless New Orleans repents, they will all likewise perish,” he told his radio show. “That is the message that the Lord Jesus Christ is sending home right now to America.”

His comments come just days after Christian radio personality Rick Wiles linked Houston's progressive attitudes with the storm."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/gay-people-hurricane-harvey-bla...

IP Logged

JohnnyBgood
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Im guilty of Locker room
talk too

Reply #18 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
forgotten centrist wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 11:09am:
The second most-powerful hurricane in recorded Atlantic history, coming on the heels of the hurricane with the heaviest rainfall in recorded continental US history, but global warming is a HOAX!

Good luck to any LNFers down in Florida!  Arch, how's it going down there?

So if there was no Global Warming records wouldn't ever be broken?

Example of how global warming people hurt their argument by sounding dumber then me.   Wink

Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, when I was dead broke I couldn't picture this.

IP Logged

JohnnyBgood
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Im guilty of Locker room
talk too

Reply #19 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
I like how the planet would never change if it wasn't for Global Warming.

Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, when I was dead broke I couldn't picture this.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › hurricane irma

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog