Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › hurricane irma
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) hurricane irma (Read 1,566 times)
crepe05
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Re: hurricane irma
Reply #30 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 5:42am
Print Post  
Archie wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 10:16pm:
The weather is normal so far. But it was hard to find water to store for drinking, size D and C batteries, ATMs ran out of money, and I went to the bank for some just in case cash, and they had no 50s limited 20s but did have plenty of 5s and hundreds. So you end up with more 100 bills than you want. I was able to buy some stuff a Home Depot and use a 100 dollar bill. I have not seen any problems at gas stations yet, will top it off tomorrow. Mandatory evacuation for Merit Island. That is about 3 miles east of me. I am about a mile and a half west of the Indian River. Indian River is on the west side of Merit Island, and the Banana River is on their east side. And it is not that wide. Beautiful homes there, some million dollar.
With all the research I could do, I am hoping that the wind will be 80mph or less here Sunday with just showers.
I spent a good part of the day yesterday closing storm shutters, and today taking all my wife’s decorations out of our trees and getting all decorations off the walls of our back screened room and put all furniture pillows in the house with her hanging plants so nothing gets blown around or wet.
Other than that , all is fine so far.
Smiley

I wish you and your family well!

IP Logged

Luther
LNF Majority Leader

Reply #31 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 6:54am
Print Post  
Uncle Ichabod wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 10:54am:
Yes.  Because the incidences of super volcano eruptions have been trending up since the industrial revolution.  Roll Eyes

Sure.  And it's possible that the Earth's surface was molten lava.  It possible that the Earth was one gigantic snowball. It's possible that the Earth's atmosphere was at one time poisonous to humans. 

None of which has anything to do with the data and trends we are now seeing.

We're concerned with the period in Earth's history in which humans developed and thrived.

Warming is driving change.  Both terms are valid and useful.

Quote:
Yes.  Because the incidences of super volcano eruptions have been trending up since the industrial revolution.  Roll Eyes

You missed the point Roll Eyes

Quote:
Sure.

All righty..... then! Wink Smiley

All throughout our American history, world history, "ordinary people can do extraordinary things"

IP Logged

Josie
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Rubio Republican

Reply #32 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
Praying for the people of Florida and anywhere being hit by Irma.

IP Logged

USyeah
LNF Majority Leader

Reply #33 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
Josie wrote on Sep 8th, 2017 at 10:33pm:

perhaps you could pray for the roads to open up, like the red sea parted, & the people on them can all get to safety. ohhh & if you have time pray for empty gas tanks to be filed, you know kinda like water to wine or fishes & bread ...
I'll watch the news & see if your prayers have been answered.

IP Logged

Wadsworth
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #34 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
Josie wrote on Sep 8th, 2017 at 10:33pm:

The most hateful lying person on this forum is actually praying.  Pray for you evil ass while your are at it.
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2017 at 1:22am by Wadsworth »  

Definition of Stupid: 
Knowing the truth, seeing evidence of truth, but still believing the lie.

IP Logged

glen65
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

Reply #35 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
forgotten centrist wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 11:26am:
Sea level rise attributable to climate change – some of which is due to coastal subsidence caused by human disturbance such as oil drilling – is more than half a foot (15cm) over the past few decades (see here for a decent discussion). That means the storm surge was half a foot higher than it would have been just decades ago, meaning far more flooding and destruction.

In addition to that, sea surface temperatures in the region have risen about 0.5C (close to 1F) over the past few decades from roughly 30C (86F) to 30.5C (87F), which contributed to the very warm sea surface temperatures (30.5-31C, or 87-88F).

There is a simple thermodynamic relationship known as the Clausius-Clapeyron equation that tells us there is a roughly 3% increase in average atmospheric moisture content for each 0.5C of warming. Sea surface temperatures in the area where Harvey intensified were 0.5-1C warmer than current-day average temperatures, which translates to 1-1.5C warmer than “average” temperatures a few decades ago. That means 3-5% more moisture in the atmosphere.

That large amount of moisture creates the potential for much greater rainfalls and greater flooding. The combination of coastal flooding and heavy rainfall is responsible for the devastating flooding that Houston is experiencing.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/aug/28/climate-change-hurricane-h...

We find that gridded temperatures, Main Development Region, and global average temperature explain the observations best. The most extreme events are especially sensitive to temperature changes, and we estimate a doubling of Katrina magnitude events associated with the warming over the 20th century. The increased risk depends on the spatial distribution of the temperature rise with highest sensitivity from tropical Atlantic, Central America, and the Indian Ocean. Statistically downscaling 21st century warming patterns from six climate models results in a twofold to sevenfold increase in the frequency of Katrina magnitude events for a 1 °C rise in global temperature

http://www.pnas.org/content/110/14/5369.full

I can keep going...

You can run your trap with this as much as you like. It still doesn't change the fact that climate and weather are two different things. What you're attempting to do is right on par with those (someone like Archie) who might try to take a cold weather event, to make a case against the existence of climate change. 

IP Logged

Luther
LNF Majority Leader

Reply #36 - Sep 9th, 2017 at 6:03am
Print Post  
USyeah wrote on Sep 8th, 2017 at 10:54pm:
perhaps you could pray for the roads to open up, like the red sea parted, & the people on them can all get to safety. ohhh & if you have time pray for empty gas tanks to be filed, you know kinda like water to wine or fishes & bread ...
I'll watch the news & see if your prayers have been answered.

Grin Cheesy Grin Shocked

" God helps those who help themselves" - Ben Franklin

All throughout our American history, world history, "ordinary people can do extraordinary things"

IP Logged

Uncle Ichabod
LNF Representative

Wrong head.

Reply #37 - Sep 9th, 2017 at 9:18am
Print Post  
glen65 wrote on Sep 8th, 2017 at 11:20pm:
It still doesn't change the fact that climate and weather are two different things.  

FC's comment is anything but suggesting that climate and weather are the same.  He has, as I have, pointed out that trends rather than single events are the basis for determining change. 
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2017 at 9:58am by Uncle Ichabod »  

IP Logged

JohnnyBgood
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Im guilty of Locker room
talk too

Reply #38 - Sep 9th, 2017 at 9:28am
Print Post  
The Original Wally wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 11:12am:
HAVE YOU HEARD ANY CREDIBLE SOURCE ACTUALLY SAY THIS STORM OR THE LAST ONE HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH GLOBAL WARMING?  IF SO, PLEASE PROVIDE A LINK.

(OR IS IT JUST MORE ALINSKY " NEVER ALLOW A GOOD CRISIS TO GO TO WASTE" POLITCAL HYPE OF A TRAGIC SITUATION?)

.. oops

Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, when I was dead broke I couldn't picture this.

IP Logged

glen65
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

Reply #39 - Sep 9th, 2017 at 10:25am
Print Post  
Uncle Ichabod wrote on Sep 9th, 2017 at 9:18am:
FC's comment is anything but suggesting that climate and weather are the same.  He has, as I have, pointed out that trends rather than single events are the basis for determining change. 

That's real cute, but I didn't say he actually claimed the two were the same. Here's what he said in the op...
forgotten centrist wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 11:09am:
The second most-powerful hurricane in recorded Atlantic history, coming on the heels of the hurricane with the heaviest rainfall in recorded continental US history, but global warming is a HOAX!
Good luck to any LNFers down in Florida!  Arch, how's it going down there?

Here he's clearly trying to use a major weather event, to refute claims by those on the other side of the climate change argument. Just as you can't use weather to disprove climate change, you don't use it to prove it's existence either. One doesn't get an exemption from that rule because they might be on the other side of the argument, or it happens to be a different or more severe weather event. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › hurricane irma

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog