Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Is there any practical benefit to building a wall on our southern border?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Is there any practical benefit to building a wall on our southern border? (Read 1,555 times)
patrick2
LNF Speaker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Re: Is there any practical benefit to building a wall on our southern border?
Reply #10 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 3:03am
Print Post  
Queshank wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 7:33am:
Seriously.  I mean it's funny that Trump promised it so comically "Gonna make Mexico pay for it."  "Gonna have a big beautiful door in that big beautiful wall."

But I have yet to hear a Trump supporter actually say why we should build a wall.

Being a 100% open borders guy perhaps has limited my thinking on this issue. 

Can anybody actually lay out a practical benefit to the wall?  One that isn't easily countered by technology as old as civilization like shovels and ladders?

Queshank

Dope.  Smiley

A wall has NEVER been an impermeable barrier that can never be crossed.  It's an obstacle that slows invaders down until they can be dealt with by other means.  It can be made formidable enough so that some people who could cross the wall, won't, because of the difficulties engendered.  How about the walls around our prisons?  The prisoners consider them a joke, and just flutter over them all the time - right?  Right.  The walls at the border now HAVE been a joke.  Put a bunch of razor wire on top of and around them, and electrify the razor wire, and then see how much of a joke they are.  The key is defense in depth:  a REAL wall, sensors, border guards, etc, in a hierarchy.  How about some prison camps in the new mexico desert, instead of just giving them a pat on the back, and sending them home to try again?  The wall also needs to be part of an integrated system: stiff fines for scofflaw employers who hire invaders, and banks who wire their money back to mexico.  Big penalties for "sanctuary cities".

IP Logged

Nazi Hunter B.S.C.
LNF Speaker

Bronze Swimming Certificate

Reply #11 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 4:45am
Print Post  
patrick2 wrote on Sep 8th, 2017 at 3:03am:
Dope.  Smiley

A wall has NEVER been an impermeable barrier that can never be crossed.  It's an obstacle that slows invaders down until they can be dealt with by other means.  It can be made formidable enough so that some people who could cross the wall, won't, because of the difficulties engendered.  How about the walls around our prisons?  The prisoners consider them a joke, and just flutter over them all the time - right?  Right.  The walls at the border now HAVE been a joke.  Put a bunch of razor wire on top of and around them, and electrify the razor wire, and then see how much of a joke they are.  The key is defense in depth:  a REAL wall, sensors, border guards, etc, in a hierarchy.  How about some prison camps in the new mexico desert, instead of just giving them a pat on the back, and sending them home to try again?  The wall also needs to be part of an integrated system: stiff fines for scofflaw employers who hire invaders, and banks who wire their money back to mexico.  Big penalties for "sanctuary cities".

Will Mexico also pay for the new prison and prisoners?  If so, I suggest we go for the platinum VIP package. Gold plated walls and such, similar to some of Trumps homes.

"Be Kind; Everyone You Meet is Fighting a Hard Battle" Plato

IP Logged

crepe05
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #12 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 5:51am
Print Post  
Queshank wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 8:38am:
You have to be insane to believe rocks are heavier than feathers because rocks contain more of the Earth element and feathers contain more of the Air element as well.

Yet just like the concept of borders it was something people believed quite strongly and with a great deal of evidence that seemed to back it up a long time ago.  I mean after all ... rocks ARE heavier than feathers.  It's a no brainer.

Why are you so hostile to human liberty and the concept of self actualization?  Wink

As regards a double wall, how does a double wall help if you've already figured out how to cross one wall with a shovel and a ladder? 

If we have to employ enough border agents to watch every segment of the wall to capture anyone in between, why don't we just hire enough border agents and use them as the wall?  What does an actual physical wall gain us?  Slows em down for the agents to get there?

Is there really a return on that investment worth the initial investment?  If it costs 20 billion to build a wall are we going to realize 20 billion dollars in benefits?

Queshank

Ask your question of someone who has lost a child or a parent or a sibling through the actions of an illegal immigrant.

We are supposed to be a nation of laws.  These people are breaking our laws and I, for the life of me, don't know why so many people don't give a durn about it.  Take the time to change our immigration laws if you don't like them.  That's the process.  You just want to continue to ignore the illegality of it, but then bitch about it.

IP Logged

Luther
LNF Party Leader

Reply #13 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 6:44am
Print Post  
Queshank wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 7:33am:
Seriously.  I mean it's funny that Trump promised it so comically "Gonna make Mexico pay for it."  "Gonna have a big beautiful door in that big beautiful wall."

But I have yet to hear a Trump supporter actually say why we should build a wall.

Can anybody actually lay out a practical benefit to the wall?  One that isn't easily countered by technology as old as civilization like shovels and ladders?

Queshank

Quote:

It sure has.... Roll Eyes

Quote:
Why are you so hostile to human liberty and the concept of self actualization?

All throughout our American history, world history, "ordinary people can do extraordinary things"

IP Logged

Wadsworth
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #14 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
wyattstorch2004 wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 11:07pm:
Is he?  I take him as someone who predicted Trump would win, pointed out a lot of the lunacy of the anti-Trump crowd and found Trump to be nearly as undesirable as Clinton.  And if he is a supporter, why does that mean he has to have all the answers and agree with every policy position?

Nah.  go back and read some of his posts.  Clinton is a hawk and Trump is not.  Right?

Definition of Stupid: 
Knowing the truth, seeing evidence of truth, but still believing the lie.

IP Logged

Wadsworth
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #15 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
crepe05 wrote on Sep 8th, 2017 at 5:51am:
Ask your question of someone who has lost a child or a parent or a sibling through the actions of an illegal immigrant.

We are supposed to be a nation of laws.  These people are breaking our laws and I, for the life of me, don't know why so many people don't give a durn about it.  Take the time to change our immigration laws if you don't like them.  That's the process.  You just want to continue to ignore the illegality of it, but then bitch about it.

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
I love your talking points.  What does a "nation of laws" mean to you.  Does it mean that you can get convicted of a crime and be pardoned?  We are not a nation of laws.  We as a country make and break laws everyday.  If the law is not working, then maybe we need to try something else.  Like making it easier and less costly to become a citizen.

Definition of Stupid: 
Knowing the truth, seeing evidence of truth, but still believing the lie.

IP Logged

The Original Wally
Hardhat
Conservative Caucus

Cunning... is but the
low mimic of wisdom ~Plato

Reply #16 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
Josie wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 7:48am:
I believe they're contemplating a double wall so they can catch invaders in between the walls or something... I personally liked Rubios plan with e-verify and other methods including fencing or "wall" or what ever in different areas.

Hard to believe anyone can be for open borders ... first of all that's an oxymoron and secondly that's insane.

You are correct!  It's also important to have a physical barrier which will be far easier to patrol and secure than open terrain. 

A future Administration would be hard pressed in allowing lax border enforcement, if a physical barrier is erected.  You can see it's weak points and increase security far better than the shotgun approach of catch as catch can along the entire unprotected southern border.

" The few will always act like the few.

Machiavelli

WWWAIM  
IP Logged

Demos
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Hook 'Em

Reply #17 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 12:40pm
Print Post  

The Original Wally wrote on Sep 8th, 2017 at 12:22pm:
You are correct!  It's also important to have a physical barrier which will be far easier to patrol and secure than open terrain.

And we already have physical barriers along much of the border which are designed to create choke points making it easier to patrol.

IP Logged

just_me
LNF Representative

Reply #18 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
Just think of all the mexicans that will be put to work building tunnels. And workers will be needed to build ladders and it will also give people jobs in stores selling them. So i believe it will be good for the mexican economy.

just me

IP Logged

patrick2
LNF Speaker

Reply #19 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
Nazi Hunter B.S.C. wrote on Sep 8th, 2017 at 4:45am:
Will Mexico also pay for the new prison and prisoners?  If so, I suggest we go for the platinum VIP package. Gold plated walls and such, similar to some of Trumps homes.

So you're ducking the issue per se of the wall?  I didn't say mexico would pay for the prisons, but their imported goods can be taxed to pay for the wall, as has been pointed out.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Is there any practical benefit to building a wall on our southern border?

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog