Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Is there any practical benefit to building a wall on our southern border?
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Is there any practical benefit to building a wall on our southern border? (Read 3,473 times)
Queshank
LNF Party Leader
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Is there any practical benefit to building a wall on our southern border?
Sep 7th, 2017 at 7:33am
Print Post  
Seriously.  I mean it's funny that Trump promised it so comically "Gonna make Mexico pay for it."  "Gonna have a big beautiful door in that big beautiful wall."

But I have yet to hear a Trump supporter actually say why we should build a wall.

Being a 100% open borders guy perhaps has limited my thinking on this issue. 

Can anybody actually lay out a practical benefit to the wall?  One that isn't easily countered by technology as old as civilization like shovels and ladders?

Queshank

Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told.

Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

IP Logged

Luther
LNF Majority Leader

Re: Is there any practical benefit to building a wall on our southern border?
Reply #1 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 7:38am
Print Post  
Queshank wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 7:33am:
Seriously.  I mean it's funny that Trump promised it so comically "Gonna make Mexico pay for it."  "Gonna have a big beautiful door in that big beautiful wall."

But I have yet to hear a Trump supporter actually say why we should build a wall.

Can anybody actually lay out a practical benefit to the wall?  One that isn't easily countered by technology as old as civilization like shovels and ladders?

Queshank

Quote:
Being a 100% open borders

What a moron 

Building a wall alone will not do it. So in that regard, the "Wall" is vain

All throughout our American history, world history, "ordinary people can do extraordinary things"

IP Logged

Josie
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Rubio Republican

Reply #2 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 7:48am
Print Post  

Queshank

I believe they're contemplating a double wall so they can catch invaders in between the walls or something... I personally liked Rubios plan with e-verify and other methods including fencing or "wall" or what ever in different areas.

Hard to believe anyone can be for open borders ... first of all that's an oxymoron and secondly that's insane.

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF Party Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #3 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 8:38am
Print Post  
You have to be insane to believe rocks are heavier than feathers because rocks contain more of the Earth element and feathers contain more of the Air element as well.

Yet just like the concept of borders it was something people believed quite strongly and with a great deal of evidence that seemed to back it up a long time ago.  I mean after all ... rocks ARE heavier than feathers.  It's a no brainer.

Why are you so hostile to human liberty and the concept of self actualization?  Wink

As regards a double wall, how does a double wall help if you've already figured out how to cross one wall with a shovel and a ladder? 

If we have to employ enough border agents to watch every segment of the wall to capture anyone in between, why don't we just hire enough border agents and use them as the wall?  What does an actual physical wall gain us?  Slows em down for the agents to get there?

Is there really a return on that investment worth the initial investment?  If it costs 20 billion to build a wall are we going to realize 20 billion dollars in benefits?

Queshank

Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told.

Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

IP Logged

forgotten centrist
LNF Speaker

bring back the middle
class!

Reply #4 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 9:53am
Print Post  
If they use ladders to climb over the first wall, then OBVIOUSLY they'll have no ladders left to climb over the second wall!  And tunneling will be blocked, too, because of that second wall.  Oh, and wire cutters.  If the wall is two fences, they'll use up their wire cutters getting through the first one and then they'll be stopped cold.

Trump is a genius.

Nominated for 2016...
- Liberal of the Year
- Conservative of the Year
- Centrist of the Year

IP Logged

Demos
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Hook 'Em

Reply #5 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 9:58am
Print Post  

Jobs program for engineering and construction firms? That's about the only practical benefit, and the latter assumes the thing ever gets out of the design phase.

As to actually stopping the flow of illegal immigrants and drugs, not much of a benefit. In case people haven't noticed, a lot of human and drug trafficking takes place through the ports of entry (i.e., coming over in cars, trucks, and airplanes). A border wall isn't going to stop that, and it won't do anymore that the current wall/fence does which is to create choke points where Border Patrol can focus. So, the practical effect there is to spend billions of dollars to do something we're already doing.

IP Logged

wyattstorch2004
LNF Speaker

GO CUBS

Reply #6 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
There is some number of criminals and terrorists that will have a harder time getting in, and some smaller number will be stopped or dissuaded.

How much of a benefit that is, especially considering that so many of those criminals are drug related, is rather subjective I would imagine.

I don't even see the "jobs program" argument as a very good one.  Broken window fallacy and such.

IP Logged

USyeah
LNF Majority Leader

Reply #7 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 10:03pm
Print Post  

Queshank

open borders? try just waltzing into Mexico & see how they greet you.

IP Logged

Wadsworth
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #8 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 10:52pm
Print Post  

Queshank

YOU ARE ONE OF HIS SUPPORTERS. Why don't you tell us?

Definition of Stupid: 
Knowing the truth, seeing evidence of truth, but still believing the lie.

IP Logged

wyattstorch2004
LNF Speaker

GO CUBS

Reply #9 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
Wadsworth wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 10:52pm:
YOU ARE ONE OF HIS SUPPORTERS. Why don't you tell us?

Is he?  I take him as someone who predicted Trump would win, pointed out a lot of the lunacy of the anti-Trump crowd and found Trump to be nearly as undesirable as Clinton.  And if he is a supporter, why does that mean he has to have all the answers and agree with every policy position?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Is there any practical benefit to building a wall on our southern border?

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog