Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › "Kurdexit" - Kurdish Statehood Referendum
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic "Kurdexit" - Kurdish Statehood Referendum (Read 115 times)
Demos
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Hook 'Em

"Kurdexit" - Kurdish Statehood Referendum
Sep 11th, 2017 at 11:54am
Print Post  

Quote:
Is the World Ready for “Kurdexit”? Referendum Among Iraqi Kurds Has Middle East on Edge

...Throughout the summer Iraqi Kurds prepared for a referendum on independence that will be held on Sept. 25. For the better part of a century, Iraq’s Kurds have been trying to undo what the League of Nations did under British pressure in 1925 when it attached the former Ottoman province of Mosul to Iraq [see it's all Limey's fault]. Their incorporation into Iraq has been an unhappy experience for the Kurds, to say the least...

In addition to the mutual frustrations and recriminations is the very fact that there is finally popular support among Iraq’s Kurds to go their own way. Young Kurds, in particular, know nothing about their fellow Iraqis, and have little in common with them. Their national myths are Kurdish myths, not Iraqi legends. In January 2005, something called the Kurdistan Referendum Movement conducted an informal referendum on independence at the same time that Iraqis were voting in the first post-Saddam parliamentary elections. A mere 98.8 percent of the Kurds who took part voted in favor. That exercise was informal, though. The referendum in a few weeks is far more consequential for the stability and unity of Iraq...

Source

IP Logged

Frank1
LNF Majority Leader

Re: "Kurdexit" - Kurdish Statehood Referendum
Reply #1 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
I doubt the Turks are ready.

I would think support for Kurdistan, within the region, would roughly line up with each nations position vis-a-vis Turkey.

If they want to stick it to Turkey, they will support Kurdistan.

To say homo sapiens, is to say Homo religiosus; there is no man without God. ~Frithjof Schuon

IP Logged

Possibly Logical
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #2 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
Frank1 wrote on Sep 11th, 2017 at 12:00pm:
I doubt the Turks are ready.

I would think support for Kurdistan, within the region, would roughly line up with each nations position vis-a-vis Turkey.

If they want to stick it to Turkey, they will support Kurdistan.

It's not that simple. Turkey has carried out a number of joint military training operations with the Iraqi Kurds (until the Iraqi government said to stop). This suggests that a united Kurdistan isn't as likely as it seems. It also suggests that Turkey may have something to gain from a separation vote, even if the Iraqi separation results in more unrest in Turkey.

IP Logged

Frank1
LNF Majority Leader

Reply #3 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
Possibly Logical wrote on Sep 11th, 2017 at 12:45pm:
It's not that simple. Turkey has carried out a number of joint military training operations with the Iraqi Kurds (until the Iraqi government said to stop). This suggests that a united Kurdistan isn't as likely as it seems. It also suggests that Turkey may have something to gain from a separation vote, even if the Iraqi separation results in more unrest in Turkey.

Ok, I really don't know a whole lot of the details.  Basically I just know the Turks have 'Kurd problems.'

To say homo sapiens, is to say Homo religiosus; there is no man without God. ~Frithjof Schuon

IP Logged

Possibly Logical
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #4 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
Frank1 wrote on Sep 11th, 2017 at 12:46pm:
Ok, I really don't know a whole lot of the details.  Basically I just know the Turks have 'Kurd problems.'

It's complicated. There are three groups of Kurds (Iraqi, Syrian, Turkish). If I remember correctly, the Iraqi Kurds don't get along with one of other two groups.

Turkey and Iran are on surprisingly good terms given that they are both regional powers and that they backed opposite sides of the Syrian conflict.

Assad isn't particularly keen on losing parts of Syria to the Syrian Kurds.

Turkey and Iraq don't really see eye to eye.

There are a lot of moving parts. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

IP Logged

Limey
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #5 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
Frank1 wrote on Sep 11th, 2017 at 12:46pm:

It's equally accurate to say that the Kurds have "Turk problems".

Under Capitalism, Man exploits Man.

Under Communism, it's the exact opposite.

IP Logged

Demos
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Hook 'Em

Reply #6 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 1:44pm
Print Post  

Quote:
Netanyahu says Israel endorses independence for Kurds

Israel’s leader on Wednesday said his country supports Kurdish independence ahead of a key referendum on the matter.

In an announcement early Wednesday, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office said Israel considers the Kurdistan Workers’ Party, or PKK, a terrorist organization. But the statement said Israel “supports the legitimate efforts of the Kurdish people to attain a state of its own"...

Source

IP Logged

Demos
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Hook 'Em

Reply #7 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 3:48pm
Print Post  

Quote:
Iraqi Kurdish Parliament Backs Independence Referendum

Lawmakers in Iraq's autonomous Kurdistan region have approved a plan to stage an independence referendum that is opposed by Baghdad and neighboring countries and has raised Western concerns that the vote could stoke fresh tensions in the region.

Jaafar Aimenky, the region's vice president who chaired the September 15 session, announced that the nonbinding referendum would go forward after an overwhelming number of regional lawmakers voted in favor...

Source

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › "Kurdexit" - Kurdish Statehood Referendum

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog