Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereReligion Forum › Conversation: Homophobes are idiots, yes/no discuss,
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Conversation: Homophobes are idiots, yes/no discuss, (Read 1,685 times)
BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Re: Conversation: Homophobes are idiots, yes/no discuss,
Reply #60 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 12:28am
Print Post  
One thing is manifest: Atheists don't agree with each other, sometimes they don't even like each other. They are mostly individuals as opposed to members of groups, who seem to share a characteristic: they are not easily swayed by peer pressure, although there are of course numerous exceptions. Religious nuts don't like the idea that there are atheists in the world and that's why more often than not they deny that they even exists saying stuff like "Everyone believes in something or worships something" maybe because they are afraid that someday they could become atheists themselves, in fact it's very close to how they feel about homosexuality. They think of it as "sin" rather than something people can't help being. It's all very similar.  Some of them are even closeted homosexual themselves and it makes them recoil with horror and paradoxically hate homosexuality in others all the more.

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

IP Logged

EF
LNF House Leader
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #61 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 10:31am
Print Post  
BowHunter wrote on Sep 20th, 2017 at 12:28am:
One thing is manifest: Atheists don't agree with each other, sometimes they don't even like each other. They are mostly individuals as opposed to members of groups, who seem to share a characteristic: they are not easily swayed by peer pressure, although there are of course numerous exceptions. Religious nuts don't like the idea that there are atheists in the world and that's why more often than not they deny that they even exists saying stuff like "Everyone believes in something or worships something" maybe because they are afraid that someday they could become atheists themselves, in fact it's very close to how they feel about homosexuality. They think of it as "sin" rather than something people can't help being. It's all very similar.  Some of them are even closeted homosexual themselves and it makes them recoil with horror and paradoxically hate homosexuality in others all the more.

Well, Christians don't always agree with each other, either.  That's why there are so many denominations, ranging from snake-handling foot-washers on one end to stiff-necked prigs on the other.  Maybe even part of the reason for the Irish Troubles, and certainly more than a few reformers were burned at the stake back in the 1500's and 1600's by their Roman Catholic brethren (brethren in the sense they all claimed to be Christians).

I must not be a religious nut because it does not bother me one whit that there are atheists in the world.  But everybody, except maybe the Unabomber and true hermits, belong to some sort of group.  In your case, I would guess it would be like-minded self-worshipers who think they're absolutely without equal in being the sharpest knives in the drawer.  I had to laugh out loud when I read one of your other posts where you accused someone of "arrogance."  You absolutely personify that attribute.  I know it's none of my business but you strike me as a self-important, stuffed-shirt, lapsed Catholic. 

non sumus stulti

IP Logged

EF
LNF House Leader
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #62 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 10:39am
Print Post  
Limey wrote on Sep 19th, 2017 at 10:04pm:
Actually, there's some solid research on this, which I will look up and link maybe tomorrow (it's late and this phone is crap).

Dawkins has a lot of fun with it in "the God Delusion", I remember chasing up the references.

"Right" and "wrong" are remarkably stable across cultures, and often conflict with religious ideas.

This is the religion forum, so I will opine this:

All of God's creation, even that part of it that denies Him, bears traits He instilled in them.  Some to a greater degree than others, perhaps, but they all do.  One of those is conscience.  A sense of right and wrong.  Some bear it to such a low degree that it's basically non-existent - think Hitler, Stalin, Idi Amin, child abusers, for example.  But one of reasons the sense of "right and wrong" is remarkably stable across cultures is because all people are God's creatures. 

One of the reasons religions sometimes get in the way of that is people make stuff up for personal gain.  I am thinking Creflo Dollar, Joel O'Steen, Paula White, TD Jakes for modern (and mostly low grade) perpetrators, but for more serious ones how about the "reverends" Jim Jones and Fred Phelps.  (Fred Phelps not so much, actually.  He was just a mean old bastard God finally removed from the vineyard.)

I know, the "genuius" self-worshiping atheists on this board will say that is true of ALL religious beliefs.  I'm okay with that.  This is even the right forum for it.  I await the spittle-flecked deluge that will surely follow. (Not from Limey, mind you.)
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2017 at 7:46pm by EF »  

non sumus stulti

IP Logged

BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #63 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 11:38am
Print Post  
EF wrote on Sep 20th, 2017 at 10:39am:
This is the religion forum, so I will opine this:

All of God's creation, even that part of it that denies Him, bears traits He instilled in them.  Some to a greater degree than others, perhaps, but they all do.  One of those is conscience.  A sense of right and wrong.  Some bear it to such a low degree that it's basically non-existent - think Hitler, Stalin, Idi Amin, child abusers, for example.  But one of reasons the sense of "right and wrong' are remarkably stable across cultures is because all people are God's creatures. 

One of the reasons religions sometimes get in the way of that is people make stuff up for personal gain.  I am thinking Creflo Dollar, Joel O'Steen, Paula White, TD Jakes for modern (and mostly low grade) perpetrators, but for more serious ones how about the "reverends" Jim Jones and Fred Phelps.  (Fred Phelps not so much, actually.  He was just a mean old bastard God finally removed from the vineyard.)

I know, the "genuius" self-worshiping atheists on this board will say that is true of ALL religious beliefs.  I'm okay with that.  This is even the right forum for it.  I await the spittle-flecked deluge that will surely follow. (Not from Limey, mind you.)

It takes some kind of sucker to think that the fraudulent/abusive/power hungry/self deluded religious leader is the exception instead of the unbroken rule. There isn't one of them be it in the present or in the past that didn't have an obvious ulterior motive and/or was a nut case of one sort or another.

IP Logged

EF
LNF House Leader
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #64 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 11:44am
Print Post  
BowHunter wrote on Sep 20th, 2017 at 11:30am:
You are just an imbecile.

Oh yeah???????

Neener neener neener!

non sumus stulti

IP Logged

EF
LNF House Leader
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #65 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 11:48am
Print Post  
BowHunter wrote on Sep 20th, 2017 at 11:38am:
It takes some kind of sucker to think that the fraudulent/abusive/power hungry/self deluded religious leader is the exception instead of the unbroken rule. There isn't one of them be it in the present or in the past that didn't have an obvious ulterior motive and/or was a nut case of one sort or another.

Hmmm.  Took almost an hour.  Longer than I thought it would.

non sumus stulti

IP Logged

BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #66 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 11:53am
Print Post  
EF wrote on Sep 20th, 2017 at 11:48am:
Hmmm.  Took almost an hour.  Longer than I thought it would.

I know it's a foreign notion to you but I happen to have a life.

IP Logged

BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #67 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 11:56am
Print Post  
EF wrote on Sep 20th, 2017 at 11:44am:
Oh yeah???????

Neener neener neener!

yeah, I know that it's a reference to some stupid tv show, I wish I didn't.

I hate you for making me check this.

IP Logged

EF
LNF House Leader
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #68 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 11:56am
Print Post  
BowHunter wrote on Sep 20th, 2017 at 11:53am:
I know it's a foreign notion to you but I happen to have a life.

Well, you average 12 posts a day on this kind of entertainment.

non sumus stulti

IP Logged

BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #69 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 11:58am
Print Post  
EF wrote on Sep 20th, 2017 at 11:56am:
Well, you average 12 posts a day on this kind of entertainment.

So?

(hey that's one more!)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereReligion Forum › Conversation: Homophobes are idiots, yes/no discuss,

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules