Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereReligion Forum › Conversation: Homophobes are idiots, yes/no discuss,
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Conversation: Homophobes are idiots, yes/no discuss, (Read 1,688 times)
EF
LNF House Leader
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Re: Conversation: Homophobes are idiots, yes/no discuss,
Reply #70 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 11:59am
Print Post  
BowHunter wrote on Sep 20th, 2017 at 11:56am:
yeah, I know that it's a reference to some stupid tv show, I wish I didn't.

I hate you for making me check this.

Let me know what you find out in between spurts of "living your life."

non sumus stulti

IP Logged

EF
LNF House Leader
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #71 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
BowHunter wrote on Sep 20th, 2017 at 12:00pm:
Boy, are you inept.

Wink

non sumus stulti

IP Logged

Limey
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #72 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
Well, I can't really do spittle flecked. Not my idiom, nor my métier.

We are back to the absolute beginning, which is that you believe - and for believing, proving is irrelevant except as comfort - something.
In this case, that God put conscience in the template.

Thus, the uniformity of "right" and "wrong" across cultures.

You could see that the opposite view, which is that, given conscience is independent of religion maybe that hints at "good" being independent of God?

Under Capitalism, Man exploits Man.

Under Communism, it's the exact opposite.

IP Logged

EF
LNF House Leader
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #73 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
Limey wrote on Sep 20th, 2017 at 12:09pm:
Well, I can't really do spittle flecked. Not my idiom, nor my métier.

We are back to the absolute beginning, which is that you believe - and for believing, proving is irrelevant except as comfort - something.
In this case, that God put conscience in the template.

Thus, the uniformity of "right" and "wrong" across cultures.

You could see that the opposite view, which is that, given conscience is independent of religion maybe that hints at "good" being independent of God?

Well, the one true God has naught to do with most religions, for that matter.  I would certainly agree that "conscience" is independent of "religion," but I will not take it as a given (nor did you say it was, for that matter) that "conscience" is independent of God.  Nor would I take it as a given (I bet you wouldn't, either) that good is independent of conscience. 

And you're right.  I seek not to prove anything.  Way above my pay grade.

non sumus stulti

IP Logged

EF
LNF House Leader
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #74 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
BowHunter wrote on Sep 20th, 2017 at 12:07pm:
You are nothing.

Where does that rank with imbecile and inept?  I would say nothing is the worst.  Can't really decide on the other two.  But the other two are not necessarily mutually exclusive.  If one is nothing one cannot be an inept imbecile, though.

Interesting food for thought.  How do you tell an inept imbecile from an ept one?

non sumus stulti

IP Logged

Muckster
LNF Senior Staffer1

Reply #75 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
Seawolf wrote on Sep 16th, 2017 at 5:49pm:
One moment you want to attempt to use science, ie global warming, the next you want to dismiss science.  You libs are never consistent.
Your ignorance is astounding. Now I know why you want to hide in your Christians only forum.

I think if you can't discuss in a serious and informed manner in this general religion forum, then you should either stick to the safety of your Christian forum, or we'll need to ask the admins to remove your access to this forum.

IP Logged

Seawolf
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker

Reply #76 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
Muckster wrote on Sep 20th, 2017 at 1:32pm:
Your ignorance is astounding. Now I know why you want to hide in your Christians only forum.

I think if you can't discuss in a serious and informed manner in this general religion forum, then you should either stick to the safety of your Christian forum, or we'll need to ask the admins to remove your access to this forum.

There is no limit to they hypocrisy of the left as I clearly demonstrated and if you don't like it talk to admin.  I always encourage you or anyone else to take up issues with him, it is his forum.  If the shoe fits wear it with pride.  I have zero patience with insults so if this is your forte, you are in the wrong forum.  Want to be edited, act like an arse then watch your posts disappear.  It does you or Bow no favor complaining about edits of your vulgarity or personal attacks.
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2017 at 4:16pm by Seawolf »  

"Without morals a republic cannot subsist any length of time; they therefore who are decrying the Christian religion, whose morality is so sublime and pure (and) which insures to the good eternal happiness, are undermining the solid foundation of morals, the best security for the duration of free governments."

Charles Carroll, signer of the DOI

IP Logged

Running Deer
LNF Party Leader
LNF Bunker

Disloyal Opposition

Reply #77 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
Limey wrote on Sep 19th, 2017 at 10:04pm:
Actually, there's some solid research on this, which I will look up and link maybe tomorrow (it's late and this phone is crap).

Dawkins has a lot of fun with it in "the God Delusion", I remember chasing up the references.

"Right" and "wrong" are remarkably stable across cultures, and often conflict with religious ideas.

There are some basic notions which are (more or less) required for a stable society.  I would expect those to be relatively similar from group to group.  Outside of that, I'm all ears.

"If cousins, I would much prefer to marry one my Neanderthal relatives than a screeching chimpanzee which might bite my face off as has happened recently. Of course, chimps are not even a human species so procreation between humans and chimps is out of the question." - joe_christian, on sex

IP Logged

Limey
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #78 - Sep 21st, 2017 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
Running Deer wrote on Sep 20th, 2017 at 5:53pm:
There are some basic notions which are (more or less) required for a stable society.  I would expect those to be relatively similar from group to group.  Outside of that, I'm all ears.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4766490.stm

Above is a non scholarly article with links. It's about altruism explicitly rather than morality.
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2006/10/31/health/psychology/31book.html

Same for the above, but it's focused on morality.

Sorry, I had a file of links garnered for a similar conversation recently on another board (yes I have been cheating on you LNF) but I can't find it.

Under Capitalism, Man exploits Man.

Under Communism, it's the exact opposite.

IP Logged

Running Deer
LNF Party Leader
LNF Bunker

Disloyal Opposition

Reply #79 - Sep 21st, 2017 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
I don't think these links contradict anything.  They indicate that most humans have some common inherent traits, but our societies strongly condition how we perceive right and wrong.

However, one of the links talks about "adultery" as a cross-cultural value.  I don't really buy it.  Pederasty by married men was fine in Sparta but horrifies us.  Historically, Christianity has considered remarrying after divorce to be adultery.  Islam never did.  And so on.  Every culture has rules about permissible and impermissible sexual relationships, but those rules often differ by quite a bit.  The variance in what is officially-wrong-but-winked-at is even greater.

"If cousins, I would much prefer to marry one my Neanderthal relatives than a screeching chimpanzee which might bite my face off as has happened recently. Of course, chimps are not even a human species so procreation between humans and chimps is out of the question." - joe_christian, on sex

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereReligion Forum › Conversation: Homophobes are idiots, yes/no discuss,

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules