Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereChristian Forum › What Does It Mean to be a Christian
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) What Does It Mean to be a Christian (Read 589 times)
Limey
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Re: What Does It Mean to be a Christian
Reply #10 - Oct 9th, 2017 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
.. This is my Jesus year...

Under Capitalism, Man exploits Man.

Under Communism, it's the exact opposite.

IP Logged

EF
LNF House Leader
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #11 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
Limey wrote on Oct 9th, 2017 at 7:39pm:
.. This is my Jesus year...

So what did you think of the book?

non sumus stulti

IP Logged

EF
LNF House Leader
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #12 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 9:59am
Print Post  
Limey wrote on Oct 9th, 2017 at 7:38pm:
I am here to be converted.

Seriously.

I would love to have the certainty that my grandmother had.

But, as a bolshy atheist, I tend to annoy here on the Christian forum... Less so on Religion and all holds are legal in Politics.

Exclude me?

Well, taking you at your word that you are "here to be converted," I would simply advise you to read God's word.  If it were me, I would stick with the New Testament.  Two of the 4 gospels with one of them being Luke, Acts, Romans, and Ephesians would be good places to start.  CS Lewis's work "Mere Christianity" wouldn't hurt anything.  You may be familiar with him what with him being a fellow Briton.  I believe he was an atheist until a young adult, too.  Another fellow you might find interesting is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_M%C3%BCller

There are several books on this guy, some better than others.  I have one that I think is particularly good but I can't recall which and an internet search didn't ring any bells.  If I run up on it next time I am perusing my somewhat disorganized "library" I will post the title.

Even if you don't embrace the faith as a result, I think you'll find some of this interesting. 

And I don't care if you hang around on the Christian forum.  Religion forum is good enough, too.  When I want to discuss things with non-Christians as well as Christians, I prefer to use that forum.

non sumus stulti

IP Logged

Limey
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #13 - Oct 13th, 2017 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
EF wrote on Oct 10th, 2017 at 2:42pm:
by

So what did you think of the book?

I thoroughly enjoyed it, until about 65% of the way through at which point my boy, tidying up, has filed it under "what book?"

Mr. Cohen really reminds me greatly of Bill Bryson, who I would strenuously urge anyone to read.

Similar style, definitely a good thing.

When it reappears I will let you know what I think.

Lovely warm decent writing so far.

I anticipate that he remains Jewish, has good friends from within Christianity, and fuzzes over any issues about forcible settlement in Palestinian land
« Last Edit: Oct 13th, 2017 at 9:18pm by Limey »  

IP Logged

Limey
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #14 - Oct 13th, 2017 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
EF wrote on Oct 12th, 2017 at 9:59am:
Well, taking you at your word that you are "here to be converted," I would simply advise you to read God's word.  If it were me, I would stick with the New Testament.  Two of the 4 gospels with one of them being Luke, Acts, Romans, and Ephesians would be good places to start.  CS Lewis's work "Mere Christianity" wouldn't hurt anything.  You may be familiar with him what with him being a fellow Briton.  I believe he was an atheist until a young adult, too.  Another fellow you might find interesting is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_M%C3%BCller

There are several books on this guy, some better than others.  I have one that I think is particularly good but I can't recall which and an internet search didn't ring any bells.  If I run up on it next time I am perusing my somewhat disorganized "library" I will post the title.

Even if you don't embrace the faith as a result, I think you'll find some of this interesting. 

And I don't care if you hang around on the Christian forum.  Religion forum is good enough, too.  When I want to discuss things with non-Christians as well as Christians, I prefer to use that forum. 

Thank you.

I am a massive fan of CS Lewis and have read most of his stuff, because as a Sci Fi Loon I wanted to get the references... See these evil prosletysers and their schemes...

I dwell, in reading terms, in the 20s and 30s quite a lot.

Because it's you, right, I will even look at the Books you mention.
Although I know Luke quite well, I did exams on that for Methodist Sunday School and when the Anglicans (my other Granny) found out, I got extra tuition.

Something about being born in an inn?

IP Logged

EF
LNF House Leader
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #15 - Oct 15th, 2017 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
Limey wrote on Oct 13th, 2017 at 8:40pm:
I thoroughly enjoyed it, until about 65% of the way through at which point my boy, tidying up, has filed it under "what book?"

Mr. Cohen really reminds me greatly of Bill Bryson, who I would strenuously urge anyone to read.

Similar style, definitely a good thing.

When it reappears I will let you know what I think.

Lovely warm decent writing so far.

I anticipate that he remains Jewish, has good friends from within Christianity, and fuzzes over any issues about forcible settlement in Palestinian land

I don't want to spoil it for you but will if you want me to.  Let me know if the book never surfaces.

non sumus stulti

IP Logged

Sundog
LNF Intern6

Reply #16 - Oct 17th, 2017 at 8:51am
Print Post  
I always say that when people like Muckster knock the Bible, they're actually reinforcing it without even knowing it. The Bible says many times that those that follow Christ will often be persecuted.

IP Logged

fair-minded know it all
LNF Party Leader

fair-minded conservative
leaning independent

Reply #17 - Oct 18th, 2017 at 4:56am
Print Post  
Muckster wrote on Oct 3rd, 2017 at 12:59pm:
I have issues with people who seem to think knowing the bible equates to being a Christian. So I'm asking Christians what they think it means to be a Christian. Seems none of them in this forum actually knows since I've gotten no responses other than yours, which wasn't a response.

I think most Christians can tell the difference between honest questions and silly trolling.
Jesus commands Christians not to cast pearls before swine.  The meaning being don't persist in sharing the Gospel with those that simply want to blaspheme and ridicule it. 
I realize Christ's command here sounds harsh but part of the reason is for mercy's sake. It would just be helping the unbeliever incur more judgment upon himself and would not be doing such person any favors.

IP Logged

Seawolf
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker

Reply #18 - Oct 18th, 2017 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
fair-minded know it all wrote on Oct 18th, 2017 at 4:56am:
I think most Christians can tell the difference between honest questions and silly trolling.
Jesus commands Christians not to cast pearls before swine.  The meaning being don't persist in sharing the Gospel with those that simply want to blaspheme and ridicule it. 
I realize Christ's command here sounds harsh but part of the reason is for mercy's sake. It would just be helping the unbeliever incur more judgment upon himself and would not be doing such person any favors.

Best explanation of this verse I have heard.

"Without morals a republic cannot subsist any length of time; they therefore who are decrying the Christian religion, whose morality is so sublime and pure (and) which insures to the good eternal happiness, are undermining the solid foundation of morals, the best security for the duration of free governments."

Charles Carroll, signer of the DOI

IP Logged

Sundog
LNF Intern6

Reply #19 - Oct 18th, 2017 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the reinforcement Muckster.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereChristian Forum › What Does It Mean to be a Christian

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules