Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereReligion Forum › extreme unction
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) extreme unction (Read 1,139 times)
Capt. Lola B.S.C.
LNF Speaker

Bronze Swimming Certificate

Re: extreme unction
Reply #50 - Oct 18th, 2017 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
Seawolf wrote on Oct 18th, 2017 at 6:41am:
I think most Christians can tell the difference between honest questions and silly trolling.
Jesus commands Christians not to cast pearls before swine.  The meaning being don't persist in sharing the Gospel with those that simply want to blaspheme and ridicule it.
I realize Christ's command here sounds harsh but part of the reason is for mercy's sake. It would just be helping the unbeliever incur more judgment upon himself and would not be doing such person any favors.

Fair-Minded Know It All

Not really worth wallowing with someone who willfully blasphemes the Lord,

There it is, again the Christian as insulting jerk.  Keep your pity, I have no use for the pity of really mean people, but I should have expected it.  I had no reason to think a Christian could be kind.

How convenient that your all powerful and all knowing God managed to sneak a nice little escape clause for His believers.  No debate need be too hard for you guys, when the going gets rough, call the blasphemer a pig and dip out.  Mustn't challenge the belief to critically.  The greatest sin is to ask too many questions and become blinded to the Lord.  2 Corinthians 4:4: "Whose minds the god of this age has blinded, who do not believe, lest the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine on them"

Roll Eyes

I believe that the power to effect another's well being is within us all and I freely choose to not abandon you, whatever the cruel things you say.  I will not give up as dictated by my reasonable morals. 

My grandfather and his father before him did battle and saved your wives and daughters from the bondage of slavery.  If it weren't for us, you'd all still be sacrificing your first born in an attempt to change the weather. 

"I'm a tranvestwhite and ask that you please use my preferred racial pronoun, "human."  -The Captain

IP Logged

Running Deer
LNF Party Leader
LNF Bunker

Disloyal Opposition

Reply #51 - Oct 18th, 2017 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
EF wrote on Oct 15th, 2017 at 9:51pm:
I know about the Apocrypha.  It's no coincidence it's called that.

One of the problems of sola scriptura is the fact that the canon is not self-defining.  Ordinary human beings disagreed about what should and shouldn't be canon, sometimes violently, and different branches have come to different conclusions.  Who's right?  No one knows.

"If cousins, I would much prefer to marry one my Neanderthal relatives than a screeching chimpanzee which might bite my face off as has happened recently. Of course, chimps are not even a human species so procreation between humans and chimps is out of the question." - joe_christian, on sex

IP Logged

EF
LNF House Leader
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #52 - Oct 18th, 2017 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
Running Deer wrote on Oct 18th, 2017 at 7:36pm:
One of the problems of sola scriptura is the fact that the canon is not self-defining.  Ordinary human beings disagreed about what should and shouldn't be canon, sometimes violently, and different branches have come to different conclusions.  Who's right?  No one knows.

True, no one knows for sure.  But one of the tenets, I believe, of sola scriptura, at least to the reformers, is that God directed the canonization process.  And He left the Apocrypha out for a reason.  Or so they believe.

non sumus stulti

IP Logged

Running Deer
LNF Party Leader
LNF Bunker

Disloyal Opposition

Reply #53 - Oct 18th, 2017 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
EF wrote on Oct 18th, 2017 at 12:09pm:
The Catholic belief also is, I think, that sin must be confessed to a priest and atoned for via whatever means the priest commands in order to gain immediate entrance to heaven upon death.  Hence the last rites - to take care of those sins that have been committed since the last trip to the confession box.

I think the Catholic position is that this is true of most Christians but not certain ones.  For example, even if St. Francis of Assisi did not receive Extreme Unction - I don't know if he did or not - he went directly to Heaven at his death.

Quote:
But I do know this: merely going through rituals or "sacraments" does nothing to convey grace.

Catholics agree.

"If cousins, I would much prefer to marry one my Neanderthal relatives than a screeching chimpanzee which might bite my face off as has happened recently. Of course, chimps are not even a human species so procreation between humans and chimps is out of the question." - joe_christian, on sex

IP Logged

Running Deer
LNF Party Leader
LNF Bunker

Disloyal Opposition

Reply #54 - Oct 18th, 2017 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
EF wrote on Oct 18th, 2017 at 7:38pm:
True, no one knows for sure.  But one of the tenets, I believe, of sola scriptura, at least to the reformers, is that God directed the canonization process.

There's no scriptural basis to believe that!

IP Logged

EF
LNF House Leader
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #55 - Oct 18th, 2017 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
Running Deer wrote on Oct 18th, 2017 at 7:44pm:
There's no scriptural basis to believe that!

I think there is, if one adheres to the teachings of the Doctrines of Grace.  And to a man, I think, the reformers did.

non sumus stulti

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereReligion Forum › extreme unction

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag