Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Trump has Played the Media, or, Que is Right
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Trump has Played the Media, or, Que is Right (Read 514 times)
forgotten centrist
LNF Speaker

bring back the middle
class!

Re: Trump has Played the Media, or, Que is Right
Reply #10 - Oct 11th, 2017 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
There's this tendency to grant Trump credit for these amazing powers of persuasion, media manipulation, head-fakes, tea leaves, etc., but I'm not really buying it.  Sometimes, an unforced gaffe is more than an unforced gaffe, but nothing in Trump's long public history suggests that he's any kind of genius.

He was good at beating a bunch of republican primary opponents in a highly fractured contest.  It's something, but it's not genius.  He beat a flawed and unpopular democratic opponent (with a little help from his friends, and a great big push from the electoral college).  It's something, but it's not genius.

If he were some kind of media-play guru, he'd have gotten some part of his agenda enacted by now.  Nothing so far.  Executive actions don't count -- easily undone (as we're seeing.)  He needs to get policy enacted through congress in order to show progress, and he can't stop throwing bombs in the capital rotunda.  They can't even seem to get a tax cut passed, and that is the one unifying bedrock underlying the republican party.

For what it's worth, I don't think Obama was any particular genius, either.  He was effective when he had a democratic congress for 2 years.  More than I can say for Donnie.

Nominated for 2016...
- Liberal of the Year
- Conservative of the Year
- Centrist of the Year

IP Logged

wyattstorch2004
LNF Speaker

GO CUBS

Reply #11 - Oct 11th, 2017 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
Mojo-Jojo wrote on Oct 11th, 2017 at 5:10pm:
No real argument from me wyatt, just want to acknowledge your response and apologize for conflating the media and left leaning citizens. There is indeed some overlap but I was posting from a citizen's perspective and not the media's.

As to the media's role, I believe CNN is the left's FOX News which is great for them, right now, but reflects the partisan splintering at a higher level.

I guess they figured they could do MSNBC better than MSNBC.

Quote:
I'm ok with media bias but would prefer a big firm or two stay purely objective and boring. There's already a bazillion (that's a REAL number) outlets for strongly partisan perspectives...would be sad to lose the middle entirely but if that's where they think the money's at, then there they'll go.

My big problem is that any media organization that claims objectivity is generally just covering up (poorly or not) a bias.  I far prefer to simply have outlets show their bias, either explicitly or through obvious advocacy in their publications.  I am fine reading multiple biased articles about an issue from whatever "sides" exist.  And I would rather do that than read a biased article by someone feigning objectivity.  And I think that is what many in the media do (like the folks at the White House press briefings), and they don't do it very well, IMO.

forgotten centrist wrote on Oct 11th, 2017 at 5:23pm:
There's this tendency to grant Trump credit for these amazing powers of persuasion, media manipulation, head-fakes, tea leaves, etc., but I'm not really buying it.  Sometimes, an unforced gaffe is more than an unforced gaffe, but nothing in Trump's long public history suggests that he's any kind of genius.

He was good at beating a bunch of republican primary opponents in a highly fractured contest.  It's something, but it's not genius.  He beat a flawed and unpopular democratic opponent (with a little help from his friends, and a great big push from the electoral college).  It's something, but it's not genius.

Perhaps we should just call it jiu-jitzu...  Wink

At any rate, I didn't say anything about genius.  Just that he played the media.  He got them to stand in opposition of respecting the flag and the anthem, and in support of tax subsidies for NFL teams.

Quote:
If he were some kind of media-play guru, he'd have gotten some part of his agenda enacted by now.

Let's not forget the millions and millions of dollars he got NBC (big league media player) to pay him for his show.  Not to mention the millions of dollars in free press he got in his campaign.  He knows a little something about how they operate.

Quote:
Nothing so far.  Executive actions don't count -- easily undone (as we're seeing.)

Speaking of which (side note), thoughts on the action to allow associations buy group insurance in any state?  Good, right?  (I don't know why that wouldn't have been allowed all along).  Was going to start a thread about it, but might as well discuss here.

Quote:
He needs to get policy enacted through congress in order to show progress, and he can't stop throwing bombs in the capital rotunda.  They can't even seem to get a tax cut passed, and that is the one unifying bedrock underlying the republican party.

In his defense, he hasn't been at it very long.  But yes, he is not nearly as good at working congress as he is the media.  Obama didn't just get the ACA without a lot of work and convincing on his own side.

Quote:
For what it's worth, I don't think Obama was any particular genius, either.  He was effective when he had a democratic congress for 2 years.  More than I can say for Donnie.

Well, Obama also had a filibuster-proof majority for a short time.  Too bad they didn't get any immigration reform during that time.

IP Logged

admin
LNF Administrator

To contact Admin send
a PM

Reply #12 - Oct 11th, 2017 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
- maybe the liberal media believe the majority think like them, like leftists?

Welcome to the Liberty News Forum - News and Political Discussion Forum.
IP Logged

wyattstorch2004
LNF Speaker

GO CUBS

Reply #13 - Oct 11th, 2017 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
admin wrote on Oct 11th, 2017 at 8:46pm:

They certainly work in a bubble.  A bubble where they think large swaths of people are swayed by the day in and day out minutia of which they write and talk, like all the snark over "binders of women", private jet use of cabinet members, etc.

IP Logged

Limey
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #14 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 3:23am
Print Post  
admin wrote on Oct 11th, 2017 at 8:46pm:

.... If Democrat voters count as "leftists", then on your recent election, that is correct,  surely?

Under Capitalism, Man exploits Man.

Under Communism, it's the exact opposite.

IP Logged

BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #15 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 4:26am
Print Post  
Limey wrote on Oct 12th, 2017 at 3:23am:
.... If Democrat voters count as "leftists", then on your recent election, that is correct,  surely?

Arguments like that can only be used when they favor the right...

Non sequitur:

The Hamster is at it Again wrote on Mar 2nd, 2017 at 4:30am:
... that has less power than a hair dryer used by a eunuch.

Rabbit_Reborn wrote on Feb 5th, 2017 at 5:40pm:
...that makes me a moron.

IP Logged

wyattstorch2004
LNF Speaker

GO CUBS

Reply #16 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
Limey wrote on Oct 12th, 2017 at 3:23am:

I wouldn't go that far.  Most Americans didn't vote at all.  And the majority of them that did favor Clinton, but it doesn't mean they share the ideologies of media leftists.  They just thought Clinton better than Trump.

IP Logged

Harry and company
LNF Representative
LNF Bunker

Too big to fail

Reply #17 - Oct 13th, 2017 at 12:49am
Print Post  
I think I said it first. I didn't, of course go on and on like Q does, of course.

IP Logged

USyeah
LNF Majority Leader

Reply #18 - Oct 13th, 2017 at 12:57am
Print Post  
wyattstorch2004 wrote on Oct 12th, 2017 at 2:47pm:
I wouldn't go that far.  Most Americans didn't vote at all.  And the majority of them that did favor Clinton, but it doesn't mean they share the ideologies of media leftists.  They just thought Clinton better than Trump.

bottom line that majority came from California & the reality is we do not elect a president by popular vote.

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF Representative3
LNF Bunker

Reply #19 - Oct 13th, 2017 at 3:59am
Print Post  
You need look no farther than what is being acknowledged right here in this thread, without any conscious recognition of the fact.  This is why I say the left are lobsters in a slowly boiling pot.

Right here in this thread we are talking about how breitbart and CNN are polar opposites. 

Um.  Wtf?  Why is breitbart even on the same page as CNN?  "The most trusted name in news."

More importantly why is CNN ("The most trusted name in news.") being acknowledged as the opposite side of the coin from breitbart ... and nobody even pushes back on that idea.  It's just taken as a given that CNN is on the side of the "left."  Claimed and fully owned by the left in the Trump era.

Does the average leftist even understand why the average rightist hates CNN so much?  Why Trump is bashing the shit out of CNN so much?  Why doesn't Trump go after MSNBC with the same vim and vigor? 

Because CNN pretends to be objective when every single conservative in the country knows they have a leftist perspective.  And now they, along with most other major media outlets, have completely dropped the charade.  They're "out of the closet." 

And you don't think Trump has deliberately created this situation, fanned the flames of, and exploited this?  What planet have you guys been living on?

FC I find your comments here especially baffling.

You must be quite young?  I don't mean that with disrespect.  I mean it because this:

I was ten years old in 1980.  Growing up in South Dakota.  How the crappity smack did I know the name of a New York real estate developer?

You can argue all you want that being a billionaire by the time you're 40 is "easy."  But reality says otherwise.  Especially as a real estate developer.  Not striking it rich with oil.  Not hitting the lottery with stock payoffs.  Not getting lucky with tech.  Not selling new products to IBM and convincing them to pay you for every computer they build because they don't understand how Operating Systems work yet.  One of the oldest businesses in the world.  Real estate.

You are seriously just going to use 'he's passed no legislation' as a standard of measure?

Why?  Is it because that's all the news reporters can talk about because they think that's important?

He's repeatedly altering the political landscape of America ... and you think "Hahaha, he can't get Obamacare repealed!  What a l0s3r!!! hahaha"  In retrospect, which was more important for Obama?  Getting Obamacare passed?  Or keeping thousands of legislative seats in the hands of Democrats throughout the country?  Whoops?

Donald Trump has changed the world.  And you still think he's an incompetent moron.

I don't pull this shit out of my ass FC.  The confirmation in my biases are from leftist publications.  It's not all about the fact that he's the god damned mule from the Foundation series. 

This is a progressive, liberal reporter writing in the New York Times.  I don't get this shit from breitbart and the daily wire and The Federalist (altho they've been writing a lot about this stuff too) ... I get it from leftist organizations.

New York Times - Oct 12, 2017 : Democrats Are Playing Checkers While Trump Is Playing Chess

A few snippets here and there from respected OBAMA team members, like Cornell Belcher:

When Trump stands up in front of his audience at rallies during the campaign and tells them he’s going to give them their country back, Trump is having a conversation about race. Our response is that we are going to raise the minimum wage — we are having a conversation about economics. We are playing checkers while Trump is playing chess. And he continues to do so as he focuses on things like Black N.F.L. players taking a knee. Until Democrats can inoculate against some of the heightened angst, most prominently found among blue collar whites, about the changing face of America, they will struggle to compete for white non-college voters.

Or Arthur Lupia:

Republican strategists seem to understand the consequences of these changes. You can see this difference when contrasting the slogan “Make America Great Again” with the slogan “I’m with her.” The subject in the Trump tagline is America. The phrase directly addresses growing anxiety about the rate of change. The subject in the Clinton tagline is the candidate herself.

Many liberal elites, who see right-leaning voters as blindly following the edicts of an unbending dogma on many issues, have little to no awareness of their own blind allegiance to an unbending dogma on many issues. This blind spot, which has only grown in recent years, makes the left exceptionally easy to troll. In other words, the left’s lack of awareness of the excesses of their own evolving dogma makes it increasingly easy for Breitbart, Fox News, and similar-minded others to portray liberals as hypocritical and out of touch with the day-to-day lives of many Americans.

Who do these comments sound like FC?  If you said .. "Sounds like what Queshank has been saying for almost two years!" you win a prize.

Queshank

Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told.

Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Trump has Played the Media, or, Que is Right

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog