Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Britain Wants to Join NAFTA?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Britain Wants to Join NAFTA? (Read 1,228 times)
Limey
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Re: Britain Wants to Join NAFTA?
Reply #10 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 3:21am
Print Post  
Possibly Logical wrote on Oct 12th, 2017 at 1:21am:
Under NAFTA, at least you get to keep brown people out. The political turmoil and death of one of your most profitable industries are a small price to pay for keeping the brown people out.

...and it won't just be automotive.

We're already seeing the US aviation industry moving in for the kill, after decades of using the US government to wound and weaken our ærospace sector.

Bae Systems is laying off staff, and Bombardier is facing 200% tariff rates in the US. Both of these in a context of, shall we say,  creative Us government support for your own civil and military aircraft manufacturers.

Under Capitalism, Man exploits Man.

Under Communism, it's the exact opposite.

IP Logged

Limey
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #11 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 9:13am
Print Post  
admin wrote on Oct 11th, 2017 at 10:41pm:
- cant UK make a direct trade pact with the US?

No.

Whilst still in the EU that's not a legal possibility..

Also, the US government is fully aware of the desperate predicament we are in, and will allow us to get closer to the precipice in order to get advantages in trade.

Obviously.

There are no friends in business.

The UK is economically screwed.

IP Logged

senecaII
LNF Representative

Reply #12 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 9:33am
Print Post  
admin wrote on Oct 11th, 2017 at 10:41pm:
- cant UK make a direct trade pact with the US?

Can West-Virginia make a trade pact with Russia or Mexico?

IP Logged

Limey
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #13 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
senecaII wrote on Oct 12th, 2017 at 9:33am:
Can West-Virginia make a trade pact with Russia or Mexico?

After secession, yes.

And then Russia and Mexico will walk all over their desperate, economically insignificant arses.

IP Logged

EF
LNF House Leader
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #14 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
I can imagine that 37.5%, while standing in their breadlines waiting for handouts, justifying their vote by saying "Well, it was never about money.  It was about principle."  And they will learn that winning on principle seldom makes up for losing on money.

non sumus stulti

IP Logged

EF
LNF House Leader
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #15 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
Limey wrote on Oct 11th, 2017 at 2:42pm:
Yeah, desperation is the odour of the Government just now.

Leaving a free trade area with rules, because somehow 37.5% of our population feel it is an affront to sovereignty.

But it's OK to join another one.

We have no political leadership at all.

"Political leadership" is almost an oxymoron.  We have very little, too.  What we currently have is "political pandering."

non sumus stulti

IP Logged

Possibly Logical
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #16 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
Limey wrote on Oct 12th, 2017 at 3:21am:
...and it won't just be automotive.

We're already seeing the US aviation industry moving in for the kill, after decades of using the US government to wound and weaken our ærospace sector.

Bae Systems is laying off staff, and Bombardier is facing 200% tariff rates in the US. Both of these in a context of, shall we say,  creative Us government support for your own civil and military aircraft manufacturers.

I'm talking about Britan leaving the EU for NAFTA. The loss is the financial sector. The only gain that people are talking about, that would be rendered useless by NAFTA is control over immigration policy.

IP Logged

Limey
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #17 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
Possibly Logical wrote on Oct 12th, 2017 at 2:59pm:
I'm talking about Britan leaving the EU for NAFTA. The loss is the financial sector. The only gain that people are talking about, that would be rendered useless by NAFTA is control over immigration policy.

I'd need to do the sums.

We already trade very extensively with the US. The loss of borderless trade with the EU would be far more significant than the gain of borderless trade with the US.

The US accounts for around 19% of our export values, the EU for over 45%.

We need immigrants, while we have a growing economy.

What will gift the racist Brexit halfwit their dream is our poverty. This will stop people wanting to come here, and employers won't need them anyway.

IP Logged

Limey
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #18 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
EF wrote on Oct 12th, 2017 at 2:39pm:
I can imagine that 37.5%, while standing in their breadlines waiting for handouts, justifying their vote by saying "Well, it was never about money.  It was about principle."  And they will learn that winning on principle seldom makes up for losing on money.

A tiny bit of me, which I acknowledge but don't feel proud of, is looking forward to making twenty years of very cutting remarks to Brexiteers.

Only twenty, because the average age of the Brexit vote means that they will be dead leaving those of us currently under 50 to deal with it.

IP Logged

EF
LNF House Leader
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #19 - Oct 13th, 2017 at 9:58am
Print Post  
Limey wrote on Oct 12th, 2017 at 7:41pm:
A tiny bit of me, which I acknowledge but don't feel proud of, is looking forward to making twenty years of very cutting remarks to Brexiteers.

Only twenty, because the average age of the Brexit vote means that they will be dead leaving those of us currently under 50 to deal with it.

But then you can reverse it.  Recovering from the damage will take time, just like getting over a really bad sickness, but at least the healing can begin. 

I am 70 ish myself and recognize that a lot of good things can happen once old farts who tend to be against everything die off.  That's always been true.  Each set of old farts has its own biases, one of which is ALWAYS thinking their generation is hands down better than the ones following.  The old farts that raised the current set of old farts thought that, and this current set of old farts thinks that.  It goes back thousands of years.  If it was true that each succeeding generation was hands down worse than the one that raised it I would venture to say we would be living in a literal hell on earth. Some people think we are, but I don't. Even with Der Fuhrer in office.

I think there is a reverse synergy at work in legislative bodies and large groups of voters.  The whole is less than the sum of its parts.  I saw a neat poster one time that said "None of us is as dumb as all of us."  I think that's true.  The smart people develop systems that recognize that, which is why I think our Constitution is such a great work and why its drafters wanted to keep election of a chief executive as far removed from popular voting as possible.  But stupidity is persistent.  As Albert Einstein said, the main difference between stupidity and genius is genius has its limits. 

Unrelated thought: that Einstein comment reminded me of a Will Rogers comment, totally unrelated to the Einstein one but that's how aging brains sometimes work.  He said "The main difference between death and taxes is death doesn't get worse every time Congress is in session."

non sumus stulti

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Britain Wants to Join NAFTA?

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules