Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereSports Forum › NFL Picks: Week 13
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) NFL Picks: Week 13 (Read 1,804 times)
Abe
LNF Representative3
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Re: NFL Picks: Week 13
Reply #30 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 7:52am
Print Post  
Or we can make it very simple and very fair. You miss Thurs, you miss the week along with NO changes allowed for anyone after you submit your picks Thursday.

Again what's the big deal especially tonight not being allowed to change it can make all the difference if they upset as SF, Seattle and the Jets did.

So someone please point out what the difference is when we post our picks and before game time Sunday we revise them because we have more info on starters and QB's that may be out? That^ and doing the a similar thing on Monday's. 

Fair is fair, no? there are 4 here that can still win this week if Cinnci wins (or any Monday game)

Seriously I'd like to hear what other's think. What's the difference if one submitted their teams on a Thursday and revised them all their picks by Sunday?  Nothing..same thing here...a chance to win in an honest manner. Smiley

I admit changing to Cinncinatti this week will probably be meaningless... BUT...that's this week what if their was a change in starters or a QB can't make a game? Or two more evenly teams were playing and someone wanted to flip their pick, take the risk and try to win the week?

Should by chance Cinnci upset...so too would one upset the results of the week...WITHOUT cheating.

I get the notion that we now know all the other results but so what? Tonight's or any Monday night game doesn't start....until Monday. What if we changed our picks that we submitted by say Sat? Why can't we change them prior to Sunday's start.

I see no difference.

Cinnci isn't that bad a team so there is still one more chance for 4 people.

« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2017 at 8:00am by Abe »  

IP Logged

Abe
LNF Representative3
LNF Bunker

Reply #31 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 10:25am
Print Post  
Grin Grin Grin I know I ranted but one more...leave it to a woman (my wife) to apply logic when I told her and use a political analogy.

If we can't change picks (in an honest way), our picks for Monday in order to snatch victory from defeat (without cheating or collusion), the 4 people with 11 are having their paths to victory blocked.  If we flip our pic, the two leaders have that right as well.

IT AIN'T OVER 'TILL IT"S OVER!-Yogi

Think of the election. The snowflakes are still persisting that Hilary won the popular vote. We know it's the EC that counts. She picked the wrong states to campaign in and lost. He blocked her path to victory using a sound and legal strategy. This isn't an election but it makes the point.

So if 2 people have 12 and 4 people have 11, why is it locked up? Give me a viable and logical reason why we should not either be allowed to change a pick prior to game time. If that's set in stone, then you don't get your picks in by Thursday game time, then you don't play.  The determining game has yet to be played.

Don't get mad Josie, I'm not singling you out but I need to make a point. You're kicking all our asses anyway Wink...but we all agreed to let Josie's Thursday night pick stand BECAUSE the game was 0-0. She picked incorrectly but what if she hadn't and picked correctly.

What's the difference in what I am suggesting.

THIS IS IMPORTANT even during the playoffs...what if like ( what is likely to happen) we all have the same picks in two early games and one sees that everyone has the same picks...so I or you decide, I'll risk what I think might be a sure pick to an uncertain one because if by luck I am right, I win?...a path to victory with no cheating.

Are we not allowed to employ a perfectly honest strategy? Where am I wrong?

IP Logged

obi wan kenobi
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

VYPR winner of LNF''S
FAKE CONSERVATIVE AWARD

Reply #32 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
Abe wrote on Dec 4th, 2017 at 10:25am:
Grin Grin Grin I know I ranted but one more...leave it to a woman (my wife) to apply logic when I told her and use a political analogy.

If we can't change picks (in an honest way), our picks for Monday in order to snatch victory from defeat (without cheating or collusion), the 4 people with 11 are having their paths to victory blocked.  If we flip our pic, the two leaders have that right as well.

Think of the election. The snowflakes are still persisting that Hilary won the popular vote. We know it's the EC that counts. She picked the wrong states to campaign in and lost. He blocked her path to victory using a sound and legal strategy. This isn't an election but it makes the point.

So if 2 people have 12 and 4 people have 11, why is it locked up? Give me a viable and logical reason why we should not either be allowed to change a pick prior to game time. If that's set in stone, then you don't get your picks in by Thursday game time, then you don't play.  The determining game has yet to be played.

Don't get mad Josie, I'm not singling you out but I need to make a point. You're kicking all our asses anyway Wink...but we all agreed to let Josie's Thursday night pick stand BECAUSE the game was 0-0. She picked incorrectly but what if she hadn't and picked correctly.

THIS IS IMPORTANT even during the playoffs...what if like ( what is likely to happen) we all have the same picks in two early games and one sees that everyone has the same picks...so I or you decide, I'll risk what I think might be a sure pick to an uncertain one because if by luck I am right, I win?...a path to victory with no cheating.

I agree 100% we should be allowed till midnight Sunday pacific time to change our Monday pick. Now I'm one of the ones with 11 BUT even if I only had 7 I might switch just because of like you said there was a few upsets this week and all were by the home team. And of course Cincinnati is the home team tonight. BUT on the other side of the coin you couldn't change your picks in Vegas after you'd wagered.

Liberalism The incurable disease.

IP Logged

Abe
LNF Representative3
LNF Bunker

Reply #33 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
obi wan kenobi wrote on Dec 4th, 2017 at 1:51pm:
I agree 100% we should be allowed till midnight Sunday pacific time to change our Monday pick. Now I'm one of the ones with 11 BUT even if I only had 7 I might switch just because of like you said there was a few upsets this week and all were by the home team. And of course Cincinnati is the home team tonight. BUT on the other side of the coin you couldn't change your picks in Vegas after you'd wagered.

I agree but I see it two other ways. Go back and look

One :we aren't taking away anything from the two leaders and they are free to change.

Two: No different than one forgets to pick on Thursday and then pops up noon time Sunday and...an hour before the game and has the advantage of any injuries or roster changes and variables that might affect their picks.

Granted it's a game, why not allow strategies to play a part? It's not cheating and I know this has happened to others as well as myself. I have 3 others with me just this week.

Anytime prior to kickoff is fair. To use me as an example, I can't win but I can still gain a point...[b]so it's that point I risk by making the choice to change. It's still 50/50.[/b]

I hope when Jas reads this she understands I'm not taking it out on her. Maybe it's too late this year but we need to think about a few things, one of which I talked to her privately about before.

Bottom line for me two choices.

1. You can change any pick as long as your game hasn't started.

2. You miss Thursday, You miss the week.

Think about it. Any one of 4 could unseat the two leaders tonight and win if they can change their picks. Now as of TODAY, we can't? Why? and...Why hand it to two people who could still lose... but not likely.

Probably a bit late in the season and I don't want to make it a big issue but it dawned on me a few weeks ago and I let it go but...

Why do we declare a winner for all purposes and intents when anyone can still change their picks tonight in hopes of either winning or gaining another 1 point by rolling the dice.

I don't see where it's cheating or different than when one gives their Thursday picks and then revises their weekend ones before game time Sunday.

Take Thanksgiving. Three games on one day. If I had or anyone had 3 wrong picks they would have been within their rights to revise their Sunday picks in the hopes of offsetting the 3 bad choices. Why doesn't that extent to Monday? Just because Jas is kind enough to do all the work and tell us where we stand prior to game time...the game hasn't been played and there is still a path to victory.

If you can change Sunday, you can change Monday. It's still 50/50. Now it's down to a less than that since 4 of us who "could win" can't

If Cinnci wins and let's say I or anyone nailed the tie breaker, we win. The week doesn't end until "the fat lady sings". Wink Just because prior to Sunday Jas is kind enough to let us know where we stand.

I guess the bottom line for me is it's strategies vs rules and I don't see how the strategy of changing the pick of a Monday game is a big deal's game ends. Having said that it's probably all moot since we're talking about Cinnci.

As to Vegas, you may not be able to change it but if you feel you made the wrong choice you can hedge, make another bet and pick both sides if you think you made a choice or it would help you to win or break even.

Like I said, the leaders aren't hurt in any way. \\I would bet that no one here sees it my way but I don't like this premature idea of declaring winners before all games are played. Do I think Cinnci will win? No? So if I switch I actually lose the point I would have rec'd if Pittsburgh

See the risk is still on the 4 people in second place who can win if they can strategically change their choice in something that has yet to be played.. being allowed to change Sunday's picks is no different than Monday.

If the 4 second place winners change to the underdog they are the ones losing the point if Pitts wins however if they are allowed to change...(you know the rest).

Not proposing anything that won't apply to everyone. Wink

« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2017 at 4:18pm by Abe »  

IP Logged

Jasmine
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker
Conservative Caucus

God Bless America!

Reply #34 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
Thanks for your input, Abe. I have considered your argument, but at least for now we will be keeping the current rules intact.

In a nutshell:

1. You are allowed to change your picks as often as you like up until the start of the first Sunday game. After that, all picks are locked in. No changes allowed.

2. If for any reason you miss picking the Thursday game, you are still allowed to pick the Sunday and Monday games (and Saturday, too, if applicable). But, of course, you automatically forfeit the Thursday game.

This "league" is strictly for fun, and we encourage everyone to play in that spirit of fun. Sometimes, people either forget or are too busy to get their Thursday pick in. That doesn't mean they should forfeit all the Sunday games. We want everybody to have a chance to play.

While changing your Monday Night Football pick may be good strategy, I feel it goes against the spirit of our league. We should all be more like Walkstall, who helps "opponents" by pointing out that they missed picking a game. That is the kind of sportsmanship that should prevail here. We all want to win, but we also want others to do well.

My decision on this matter is final. If we do the league again next season, we can tackle this issue together and let everyone have their say. I am certainly amenable to rule changes in the future.

While we're at it, I also have another proposed rule change that I would like to implement next year: Whoever winds up in First Place after the regular season will receive a .5 advantage in the playoffs. In other words, if the #1 seed and #4 seed are matched up and both have 11 wins at the end of that weekend, the #1 seed wins by virtue of the .5 advantage. I propose this to reward the top seed for winning the regular season. (Sort of like a home field advantage.)

Thank you.

Mar 13th, 2018 at 11:23am: "I think a #16 seed will upset a #1 seed in the NCAA Tournament."

IP Logged

Abe
LNF Representative3
LNF Bunker

Reply #35 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
While I appreciate the politeness of your response...the change was made yesterday. It takes on more urgency tonight since 4 people can win over a game not played yet.

Jasmine wrote on Dec 3rd, 2017 at 11:45pm:
The results so far:

I have amended our rule so that we cannot change picks this late in the weekend.

Smiley

I suspect that part of the was due to the fact that you figured out just what I was thinking because it's a fair way to win. It is a game and if I can or you can still win fairly, I don't see the big deal. Friendly game or not, we all play to win. If it's friendly and somewhat informal who gets hurt?

Enjoy the rest of the season. I'm taking a knee in protest for the rest of the season. Undecided See you on the Politics Boards.

Good luck to all.

IP Logged

Jasmine
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker
Conservative Caucus

God Bless America!

Reply #36 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
Abe wrote on Dec 4th, 2017 at 4:40pm:
While I appreciate the politeness of your response...the change was made yesterday. It takes on more urgency tonight since 4 people can win over a game not played yet.

I actually mentioned my intention to implement this earlier this season, when you brought up the tie-breaker situation. I just did not write it down officially.

I am sorry you have decided to sit out the rest of the way, and I hope you reconsider. If not, no hard feelings.

Mar 13th, 2018 at 11:23am: "I think a #16 seed will upset a #1 seed in the NCAA Tournament."

IP Logged

Abe
LNF Representative3
LNF Bunker

Reply #37 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
Jasmine wrote on Dec 4th, 2017 at 4:44pm:
I actually mentioned my intention to implement this earlier this season, when you brought up the tie-breaker situation. I just did not write it down officially.

I am sorry you have decided to sit out the rest of the way, and I hope you reconsider. If not, no hard feelings.

Never any where you are concerned.  WinkThank you in advance for all the hard work you put into the of running this. I appreciate it. Smiley

I will not be playing any further.
« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2017 at 4:57pm by Abe »  

IP Logged

Josie
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Rubio Republican

Reply #38 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Abe wrote on Dec 4th, 2017 at 10:25am:

Lol.

I never used the switching teams option even when it was an option before rule changes were made as I believe that once you pick it should stay that way...comparing the one time I was 3 minutes late making my Thursday pic when the teams were 0-0 is disingenuous as those three minutes don't hold the same advantage as one would have waiting until the last game was being played on Monday to change their pick not to mention it would change Jasmine fun volunteer  job into a full time job trying to monitor all the changes.

IP Logged

Abe
LNF Representative3
LNF Bunker

Reply #39 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
Josie wrote on Dec 4th, 2017 at 5:24pm:
Lol.

I never used the switching teams option even when it was an option before rule changes were made as I believe that once you pick it should stay that way...comparing the one time I was 3 minutes late making my Thursday pic when the teams were 0-0 is disingenuous as those three minutes don't hold the same advantage as one would have waiting until the last game was being played on Monday to change their pick not to mention it would change Jasmine fun volunteer  job into a full time job trying to monitor all the changes.

I must have missed the kickoff and final score of tonight's game. Shocked

Spoken like the true leader. I see strategy AND fun. You see just the fun. Everyone sees things differently. It's what makes the word go around.

I suggested no ill doing on anyone's part.   I merely used that for illustrative purposes. Meant to be an example where Jas showed her flexibility. She did give us all a chance to object and no one did. She admits she just invoked what I'm referring to almost simultaneously as I thought about it. Clearly she saw the opportunity and addressed it before I did. She is the boss lady.

She made her position clear. I respect that and I thanked her for all she does. Iwould not want to do it and I appreciate her.

Much like you were Rubio and I was Cruz...we don't agree. What's your beef? I din't say a negative word about you. Never accused you of anything either. I gave many other examples to back what I though perhaps should be allowed.

Congrats in advance. I predict you will be this year's winner come the conclusion of the Super Bowl. Kiss
« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2017 at 5:45pm by Abe »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereSports Forum › NFL Picks: Week 13

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules