Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Open to the Public Means All of the Public?
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Open to the Public Means All of the Public? (Read 451 times)
wyattstorch2004
LNF Speaker

GO CUBS

Open to the Public Means All of the Public?
Dec 7th, 2017 at 12:14am
Print Post  
http://www.kansascity.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/melinda-henneberger/article1...

The article above passed along a question with regard to the cake baker case before the supreme court.

"A lawyer for Phillips argued that his “friends on the other side...would compel an African-American sculptor to sculpt a cross for a Klan service or force a gay opera singer to perform at Westboro Baptist” because he’d also done so at the National Cathedral."

So what of this question?  If a sculptor is open to the public, should they have to sculpt a cross for the KKK?   And the gay opera singer?  Should they have to perform for Westboro Baptist Church?

Or what about one I saw earlier (but can't remember where): should a Muslim baker be required to create a cake with a cartoon of Muhammad on it?

The article points out that the state of Colorado was OK with gay bakers turning away customers wishing to have a cake that said "marriage is between one man and one woman".  So those who feel "open to the public means all of the public", do you disagree with the state of Colorado in those cases?

IP Logged

Josie
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Rubio Republican

Re: Open to the Public Means All of the Public?
Reply #1 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 12:35am
Print Post  
There were so many designers that refused to make Melania Trump a dress.

This is how gay coffee shop owners behaved when some anti abortion activists came in for a cup of coffee

IP Logged

wyattstorch2004
LNF Speaker

GO CUBS

Reply #2 - Dec 11th, 2017 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
Josie wrote on Dec 7th, 2017 at 12:35am:

This is how gay coffee shop owners behaved when some anti abortion activists came in for a cup of coffee

I would certainly support the right of the folks in these examples to turn down any and all business they do not wish to carry out.  No person or group should be forced into a contract they do not wish to be a part of.

IP Logged

admin
LNF Administrator

To contact Admin send
a PM

Reply #3 - Dec 11th, 2017 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
- isnt it really an issue of property rights? - liberals dont believe in property rights

Welcome to the Liberty News Forum - News and Political Discussion Forum.
IP Logged

forgotten centrist
LNF Speaker

bring back the middle
class!

Reply #4 - Dec 11th, 2017 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
valid point

Nominated for 2016...
- Liberal of the Year
- Conservative of the Year
- Centrist of the Year

IP Logged

JohnnyBgood
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Im guilty of Locker room
talk too

Reply #5 - Dec 11th, 2017 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
admin wrote on Dec 11th, 2017 at 3:44pm:
- isnt it really an issue of property rights? - liberals dont believe in property rights

Civil Rights come 1st today. That's the way it is, and always will be. Get use to it.

Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, when I was dead broke I couldn't picture this.

IP Logged

JohnnyBgood
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Im guilty of Locker room
talk too

Reply #6 - Dec 11th, 2017 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
However, civil rights are taking advantage of more then any other right.

Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, when I was dead broke I couldn't picture this.

IP Logged

Maestro
Hardhat
The Writer's Croft

Reply #7 - Dec 11th, 2017 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
wyattstorch2004 wrote on Dec 7th, 2017 at 12:14am:
http://www.kansascity.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/melinda-henneberger/article1...

The article above passed along a question with regard to the cake baker case before the supreme court.

"A lawyer for Phillips argued that his “friends on the other side...would compel an African-American sculptor to sculpt a cross for a Klan service or force a gay opera singer to perform at Westboro Baptist” because he’d also done so at the National Cathedral."

So what of this question?  If a sculptor is open to the public, should they have to sculpt a cross for the KKK?   And the gay opera singer?  Should they have to perform for Westboro Baptist Church?

Or what about one I saw earlier (but can't remember where): should a Muslim baker be required to create a cake with a cartoon of Muhammad on it?

The article points out that the state of Colorado was OK with gay bakers turning away customers wishing to have a cake that said "marriage is between one man and one woman".  So those who feel "open to the public means all of the public", do you disagree with the state of Colorado in those cases?

I think the problem is some people are trying to have it both ways.

The Left has generally considered all forms of artistic expression "speech" that is protected and the Supreme Court has generally agreed with them.

If that's true, then I think a cake that a baker designs is speech and is protected. He should not be compelled to create one that sends he message he doesn't approve of.

Same for a sculptor, painter, singer etc.

I'll say it another way.

If this baker has to make a cake for a gay wedding, then Celine Dion should not have had the freedom to turn down Trump's request to perform at his inauguration. Other singers cannot refuse Republican candidates the right to play (for a fee) their recorded music at their rallies, etc.

I believe those artists should not be forced to perform or rent out the use of their music against their will and I believe the same of the baker.

IP Logged

TowardLiberty
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

anti-state, anti-war and
pro-market

Reply #8 - Dec 11th, 2017 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
Clearly the law is being selectively applied.

You might even say this is institutionalized discrimination. The law is protecting the right to refuse for some but denying it to others. How can that be consistent with the rule of law?

I would agree with admin that this is ultimately a property rights issue. Either you have the right to control your own labor or you do not.

I imagine those who champion these sorts of laws do not seek to see them universally applied.

"Practical men, who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influences, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist." J M Keynes

"In the first place, the dichotomy between "theoretical" and "practical" is a false one. In economics, all arguments are theoretical. And, since economics discusses the real world, these theoretical arguments are by their nature "practical" ones as well." M Rothbard

IP Logged

Limey
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #9 - Dec 11th, 2017 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
Josie wrote on Dec 7th, 2017 at 12:35am:

Thanks for posting this video Josie.

It’s a really good exploration of the whole Gay Cake issue (which is A Thing in Britain too, along with Gays in my Christian Hotel).

Under Capitalism, Man exploits Man.

Under Communism, it's the exact opposite.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Open to the Public Means All of the Public?

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules