Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › - do you believe Franken will really resign? - a scam?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) - do you believe Franken will really resign? - a scam? (Read 531 times)
Walking in a Wally Wonderland
Hardhat
Conservative Caucus

Cunning... is but the
low mimic of wisdom ~Plato

Re: - do you believe Franken will really resign? - a scam?
Reply #20 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
I just stepped away from the computer long enough to hear Franken's speech (again) He said...some of the allegations against me are simply not true, while others are simply not as I remember them. "     This equates to "I didn't do anything wrong (and they are Liars) but I (may) step down later, depending upon whether or not this little song and dance routine pays off for me".

" The few will always act like the few.”

–Machiavelli

WWWAIM  
IP Logged

Josie
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Rubio Republican

Reply #21 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
Walking in a Wally Wonderland wrote on Dec 7th, 2017 at 4:56pm:
Sorry, I won't pay a buck to support that lying rag of a FakeNewspaper.   (I click on it and it says I have to pay one dollar to read the article.)   I'll get it from another source.

Thanks anyways, Josie.   Smiley

Quote:
The prospect that Roy Moore will be elected the next senator from Alabama despite an increasing number of allegations that he sexually assaulted and “dated” teenagers while he was in his 30s is rightly terrifying. As a result, some Senate Republicans are saying that Moore should be expelled immediately from the chamber if he wins the election so he can be replaced by an alternate. But that prospect is also potentially terrifying: It could hand the White House a way to shut down special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s investigation. For good.

That possibility arises as the result of the intersection of several somewhat arcane provisions of the Constitution. Begin with the Senate’s power to bar Moore. The Constitution provides that each house of Congress has the power to judge the qualifications of its members. But for good reason, the Supreme Court has said that those qualifications are “fixed” by the Constitution itself: To be in the Senate, Article I, Section 3 says that you have to be 30 years old, a U.S. citizen for nine years and from the state in which you were elected. If the Senate finds that a senator-elect does not meet those qualifications, it can exclude him or her by simple majority vote.

But our founders didn’t want to give members of Congress the power to block duly elected folks for nefarious reasons. (Most poignantly, in the case of former Democratic congressman Adam Clayton Powell of New York, the Supreme Court evidently feared that the attempt to bar him from taking his seat was a plot by white Beltway operatives to undermine the wishes of his Harlem district.) So while the Senate and the House can refuse to seat a member by simple majority vote, they can only do so for reasons laid out in the Constitution: if that person was not duly elected or if he or she fails to meet the qualifications for the chamber to which he was elected.
If Moore does win next month’s special election in Alabama, the Senate has another way to get rid of him: expulsion. Article I, Section 5 says that each house can “with the concurrence of two-thirds, expel a member.” That supermajority requirement is in there for good reason: Again, the founders wanted to avoid self-dealing by folks in Congress.

And some of the scenarios reportedly under consideration in Washington and in Birmingham make clear that this sort of self-dealing could, indeed, be very dangerous. If Moore wins and then is expelled or resigns, the 17th Amendment kicks in, giving Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey (R) the power to appoint an interim senator. Alabama law allows that senator to serve until a special election takes place; the governor decides when the special election takes place, but she can wait as long as she wants before calling one. So if Moore is gone, Ivey can appoint someone to fill the seat for a while.
One of the leading candidates to replace Moore, should it come to that, would have to be none other than the person who was last elected to that very seat: Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III. Sessions, of course, is performing another job right now as attorney general of the United States. And while he has taken a wrecking ball to many of the most time-honored principles of the department, it is what he is not doing (and indeed is unable to do) that raises the biggest concern around his possible return to his old job. Sessions recused himself from the Justice Department’s investigation into Russian attempts to interfere in last year’s presidential campaign and handed the matter over to his deputy, Rod J. Rosenstein, after it came out that Sessions had given inaccurate testimony to the Senate about his meetings with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Kislyak. Rosenstein, in turn, despite a very shaky start at the department, appointed Mueller to lead the Russia investigation, including whether President Trump’s campaign colluded with Russian operatives, and has since allowed that investigation to proceed independently.

If Sessions returns to the Senate, however, Trump will nominate another attorney general. And you can imagine what kind of litmus test he’d have for his new choice: Trump would want someone willing to shut down the Russia investigation. The president himself has said that he wouldn’t have made Sessions attorney general if he knew that Sessions would recuse from the Russia investigation.
Notably, a new attorney general would not even need to fire Mueller. Mueller serves under regulations that govern the appointment of a special counsel. I had the privilege of drafting those regulations nearly 20 years ago. We all knew at the time that they were the creation of the attorney general, and could therefore be revoked by the attorney general, too. So a new attorney general could simply repeal the regulations. Mueller would go poof, and his investigation would cease. Any facts, prosecutions, and investigative material that Mueller had uncovered would then lie under the supervision of the new appointee, selected by a president who’s been vocal about his objections to Sessions’s recusal. And if you think firing Mueller or repealing the regulations is too much, consider this: the new attorney general could simply say that he doesn’t

IP Logged

Josie
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Rubio Republican

Reply #22 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
Walking in a Wally Wonderland wrote on Dec 7th, 2017 at 4:56pm:
Sorry, I won't pay a buck to support that lying rag of a FakeNewspaper.   (I click on it and it says I have to pay one dollar to read the article.)   I'll get it from another source.

Thanks anyways, Josie.   Smiley

Quote:
have the same conflict of interest as Sessions did and assert that he can do Mueller’s job himself. (Of course, the paradigmatic case for a special counsel’s appointment, as we all understood during the drafting, is the presidentially nominated attorney general being asked to investigate the president.  But that understanding won’t stop a willful attorney general.)
These are the perverse stakes in the Moore case. This counterintuitive result may be why some, reportedly including White House officials, have been whispering about the possibility of trading Moore for Sessions. But for the strategy to succeed, it does require a confirmed attorney general (or at least a recess-appointed one). And that requires at least 50 votes in the Senate, something that might be hard to garner when there are only 52 Republican senators, several of whom have voiced public support for the Mueller investigation. One might think that senators such as Bob Corker (Tenn.) or Jeff Flake and John McCain (Ariz.) could extract a promise at a confirmation hearing for any nominee not to mess with Mueller or the regulations governing his work. But once confirmed, no attorney general would necessarily be bound by such a promise; he or she could point to any number of changed circumstances that required a different answer.
Our founders believed three things simultaneously: that elections would tend to produce statesmen; that no one was an angel; and that checks and balances were necessary to guard against abuse of power. Since seating Moore is unthinkable, maybe the best precaution would be for the Senate to commit before any hearings for a new attorney general to hiring Mueller as its own investigator if the Trump administration has him removed. Everything about Moore suggests he is not a statesman, let alone an angel. But in our zeal to protect government from this man, our other elected representatives must take care to ensure that our system of checks and balances does not suffer.

IP Logged

Vypr
LNF Representative2

Tribunal of the Holy Office
of the Inquisition

Reply #23 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
Josie wrote on Dec 7th, 2017 at 5:07pm:

I already posted that some time ago, but thanks for the memory.

I said then the Pubs WANT Moore to win so they can toss him and get Sessions into that seat. Harry went all stupid on it and argued about the price of tea in China, meanwhile my point stands. The Pubs (and Trump) are fighting hard for Moore so then can oust him, allowing Trump to get a new AG who will slow-walk the Russia investigation into oblivion.

A rare moment of candid truth from NorthKoreanFrogmanInvasion(!!), aka ReeweeWittoBwain:   RWB wrote on Nov 15th, 2017 at 9:32am:
Trump's an idiot everyone knows that

IP Logged

Hardhat
Conservative Caucus

Cunning... is but the

Reply #24 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
Josie wrote on Dec 7th, 2017 at 5:08pm:

Thanks.  But, the article seems to be speculating  on what others in the Whitehouse may be speculating.  Kind of skimpy on the facts for my taste.  I do agree with the last line... 
" Everything about Moore suggests he is not a statesman, let alone an angel. But in our zeal to protect government from this man, our other elected representatives must take care to ensure that our system of checks and balances does not suffer. " 

This may be self serving though, since if Moore loses he will surely be suing everyone involved in smearing him.

–Machiavelli

WWWAIM  
IP Logged

admin
LNF Administrator

To contact Admin send
a PM

Reply #25 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
Mojo-Jojo wrote on Dec 7th, 2017 at 4:59pm:
Wow...just...wow.

Are you THAT cynical?

There's just no way a "D" could do the right thing without it being some (((DEEPSTATE))) ploy to rob the righteous right of their great victory. IT'S A TARP!!

- if he is resigning over his abuse of women then resign immediately

Welcome to the Liberty News Forum - News and Political Discussion Forum.
IP Logged

Hardhat
Conservative Caucus

Cunning... is but the

Reply #26 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
admin wrote on Dec 7th, 2017 at 5:21pm:
- if he is resigning over his abuse of women then resign immediately

he says he's resigning over something which he says he didn't do?   Grin

–Machiavelli

WWWAIM  
IP Logged

forgotten centrist
LNF Speaker

bring back the middle
class!

Reply #27 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
Josie wrote on Dec 7th, 2017 at 4:41pm:
I should have said the appearance of moral high ground.... the Dems are trying to appear to be morally superior, but unless they investigate the under age prostitution claims on Menendez they have no basis to claim the moral high ground at all.

Personally I find it immoral to automatically believe women w/o an actual investigation, especially when you consider the timing of the claims.
Waiting till R's were stuck w/Moore is very telling, the Post could have gone looking for this story when Moore was running against Strange, but they sat on it like the access hollywood sat on the tapes of Trump till he became the nominee.
People didn't fall for that shit with Trump and hopefully they don't fall for it with Moore... there is time to investigate him, but until then he is innocent IMO

Of course the democrats have a basis for claiming the moral high ground here -- Franken and Conyers are resigning.  Moore and Trump are denying.

The republicans, for their part, are demonstrating that they'd rather have a credibly-accused sex offender than a democrat in the senate.  Not much moral high ground there.

And if Mitch "the fixer" McConnell gets Moore ejected for the express purpose of letting Trump move Sessions out of the DOJ so he can appoint a new Attorney General, the republicans will be in a power-dive away from anything resembling high ground.

TRUMP!

Nominated for 2016...
- Liberal of the Year
- Conservative of the Year
- Centrist of the Year

IP Logged

Hardhat
Conservative Caucus

Cunning... is but the

Reply #28 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
forgotten centrist wrote on Dec 7th, 2017 at 5:37pm:
Of course the democrats have a basis for claiming the moral high ground here -- Franken and Conyers are resigning.  Moore and Trump are denying.

The republicans, for their part, are demonstrating that they'd rather have a credibly-accused sex offender than a democrat in the senate.  Not much moral high ground there.

And if Mitch "the fixer" McConnell gets Moore ejected for the express purpose of letting Trump move Sessions out of the DOJ so he can appoint a new Attorney General, the republicans will be in a power-dive away from anything resembling high ground.

TRUMP!

If I may, sir...Coyners got caught with his hands in the cookie jar and even those in his own party are calling for him to leave because of his using public funds to pay hush money. Al Franken on the other hand has been all over the park with his latest stunt where he declares ti be a champion of women's causes and says he didn't do what he's accused of but he will resign (maybe) in the coming weeks.  Why will he resign if he didn't do anything?  Frankens' statements means those women who have accused him must be Liars.  Don'tchathink?

So you got a corrupt 88 year old, sickly old fool in the hospital who doesn't have the fight left in him to fight.  ("Old Marxists never die, they just fade away) so he'll fade away and wait for his wifey to get out of prison.

Fraken, on the other hand, hasn't gone anywhere.  Furthermore he's jsut double down o=n stupid by saying some of the things he's been accused of are lies and the others are things that he doesn't remember as his accusers do (translation: these women are lying)

–Machiavelli

WWWAIM  
IP Logged

Harry
LNF Representative3
LNF Bunker

Too big to fail

Reply #29 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
Vypr wrote on Dec 7th, 2017 at 3:35pm:
Sorry, public opinion exists far far apart from due process. This is how we can ostracize a child molester long after the statue of limitations has expired.

Quote:
Alabama Statutes of Limitations

Every state has its own unique statutes of limitation for both criminal and civil cases, which are essentially time limits for either filing a civil complaint or (for prosecutors) filing criminal charges on behalf of the state. In Alabama, most civil actions have a two-year statute of limitations, with exceptions including a six-year time limit for trespassing, rent collection, and debt collection. Alabama imposes a 12-month limit for all misdemeanors and a three-year time limit for most felonies, although the most serious crimes have no statutory time limits whatsoever, including murder, counterfeiting, arson, or sex offenses with minors under 16.

You were saying?

http://statelaws.findlaw.com/alabama-law/alabama-statutes-of-limitations.html

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › - do you believe Franken will really resign? - a scam?

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules