Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereReligion Forum › How did Christmas get so secular?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic How did Christmas get so secular? (Read 518 times)
EF
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

How did Christmas get so secular?
Dec 15th, 2017 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
Many people (and I use that term in the same sense Der Fuhrer does, which means “practically nobody”) have approached me with my thoughts on how Christmas got to be such a secular holiday.  Which is really neat because I did some research on that very topic several years back, pre-internet.

Bugs, Porky, Daffy, Yosemite Sam, and I were having a break in between takes on one of our joint motion pictures, and the subject of Christmas came up.  I think it was Daffy who said he wondered when Christmas got to be such a secular holiday.  I resolved to find out.

I visited a “library” and consulted “books.”  For those unfamiliar with those terms, a book is a collection of pieces of paper on which writing appears, bound between covers made of heavier paper or cardboard.  Libraries are buildings which house a lot of books. Writing from memory, this is what I found out:

There was a pope, Leo I think (which is a safe guess because there were so darned many of them by that name) who decided the pagans needed some true religion.  This was in the 300’s I think, before later popes decided torture was a better and more effective way to get converts.  He approached a bunch of pagans with the idea of becoming Christians, and they said maybe. Their main concern was a holiday they celebrated in late December every year during which they gave each other presents, hung evergreens to celebrate fertility, and did a lot of drinking and screwing.

The pope said they could keep that holiday but they’d have to say they were doing it for Jesus and he (the pope) would appreciate it if they cut back a little on the drinking and screwing.  They said they would.  But they didn’t and that’s why so many Christmas parties (especially office parties) are like they are today.

So it didn’t BECOME secular, it started off that way.  It was an attempt to steal a pagan holiday and it failed.   But I still like it, and have a decorated pagan fertility symbol in my house even now.  And as I mentioned, I listen to a Christmas music only radio station from December 1 through Christmas.  My two favorite Christmas hymns are O Holy Night and Run Run Rudolph.

IO Saturnalia! Merry Christmas! Happy Holidays!

Elmer Fudd

non sumus stulti
but
accidit stercore

IP Logged

billy.pilgrim
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Re: How did Christmas get so secular?
Reply #1 - Dec 15th, 2017 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
EF wrote on Dec 15th, 2017 at 3:09pm:
Many people (and I use that term in the same sense Der Fuhrer does, which means “practically nobody”) have approached me with my thoughts on how Christmas got to be such a secular holiday.  Which is really neat because I did some research on that very topic several years back, pre-internet.

Bugs, Porky, Daffy, Yosemite Sam, and I were having a break in between takes on one of our joint motion pictures, and the subject of Christmas came up.  I think it was Daffy who said he wondered when Christmas got to be such a secular holiday.  I resolved to find out.

I visited a “library” and consulted “books.”  For those unfamiliar with those terms, a book is a collection of pieces of paper on which writing appears, bound between covers made of heavier paper or cardboard.  Libraries are buildings which house a lot of books. Writing from memory, this is what I found out:

There was a pope, Leo I think (which is a safe guess because there were so darned many of them by that name) who decided the pagans needed some true religion.  This was in the 300’s I think, before later popes decided torture was a better and more effective way to get converts.  He approached a bunch of pagans with the idea of becoming Christians, and they said maybe. Their main concern was a holiday they celebrated in late December every year during which they gave each other presents, hung evergreens to celebrate fertility, and did a lot of drinking and screwing.

The pope said they could keep that holiday but they’d have to say they were doing it for Jesus and he (the pope) would appreciate it if they cut back a little on the drinking and screwing.  They said they would.  But they didn’t and that’s why so many Christmas parties (especially office parties) are like they are today.

So it didn’t BECOME secular, it started off that way.  It was an attempt to steal a pagan holiday and it failed.   But I still like it, and have a decorated pagan fertility symbol in my house even now.  And as I mentioned, I listen to a Christmas music only radio station from December 1 through Christmas.  My two favorite Christmas hymns are O Holy Night and Run Run Rudolph.

Elmer Fudd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN4Uu0OlmTg

the wis-dum of acrhie
"I am sure Trump is like me."
"There is no capitalism under Obama’s rule. He is a fu8&^ communist."

IP Logged

EF
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #2 - Dec 15th, 2017 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
billy.pilgrim wrote on Dec 15th, 2017 at 3:29pm:

Touching film.  Fortunately for Jaz, it was mostly desert primates.  Not "ardent Christians."

non sumus stulti
but
accidit stercore

IP Logged

Limey.
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #3 - Dec 15th, 2017 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
EF wrote on Dec 15th, 2017 at 3:09pm:

Elmer Fudd

A neat summing up.

The fundamental reason for the midwinter debauch is the point of no return with livestock and stored feed.

You have to thin the herd, might as well eat ‘em.

Plus, pre-refrigeration, drinks like beer didn’t last and the last brew was late Autumn. Might as well finish it off before it turns to vinegar.

Under Capitalism, Man exploits Man.

Under Communism, it's the exact opposite.

IP Logged

EF
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #4 - Dec 15th, 2017 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
Limey. wrote on Dec 15th, 2017 at 4:14pm:
A neat summing up.

The fundamental reason for the midwinter debauch is the point of no return with livestock and stored feed.

You have to thin the herd, might as well eat ‘em.

Plus, pre-refrigeration, drinks like beer didn’t last and the last brew was late Autumn. Might as well finish it off before it turns to vinegar.

Wasn't nature furnishing plenty of refrigeration?

non sumus stulti
but
accidit stercore

IP Logged

Limey.
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #5 - Dec 15th, 2017 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
EF wrote on Dec 15th, 2017 at 6:12pm:
Wasn't nature furnishing plenty of refrigeration?

Shhh.

That was the line our great great17 grandads spun when asked by great great grandma17 “why do we have to drink all the beer tonight?”

Out of respect, let’s keep the bluff going.

Under Capitalism, Man exploits Man.

Under Communism, it's the exact opposite.

IP Logged

EF
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #6 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
Limey. wrote on Dec 15th, 2017 at 7:34pm:
Shhh.

That was the line our great great17 grandads spun when asked by great great grandma17 “why do we have to drink all the beer tonight?”

Out of respect, let’s keep the bluff going.

Mum's the word. 

non sumus stulti
but
accidit stercore

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereReligion Forum › How did Christmas get so secular?

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules