Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Book project
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Book project (Read 737 times)
TowardLiberty
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

anti-state, anti-war and
pro-market

Book project
Dec 31st, 2017 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
Bought a new book the other day from Amazon and it just came in the mail. It is called From Mutual Aid to the Welfare State: Fraternal Societies and Social Services 1890-1967 by David Beito.

It describes how people dealt with the uncertainties of life before the government got involved and created a welfare state and what that looked like in practice. No doubt it was not perfect. But the mix of benefits and incentives was probably more on point than what has been accomplished through public policy.

That's a big red pill, for a lack of a better word, for the traditional lefty.

And it got me thinking.

I can envision a book project that would catalog a few of these kinds insights which are not common currency on the left. Perhaps it would help improve their project.

The first chapter could make the case for community based associations for handling welfare and other social services based on insights from this book on fraternal societies.

The second chapter could summarize The Triumph of Conservatism, Gabriel Kolko's book on regulation in the progressive era and how big business influenced it in order to foreclose markets and competition. Which is exactly the reverse of what most on the left think about regulation in this era.

Kolko is a noted lefty academic and his work is thoroughly researched and documented. You will not view the progressive era the same way after reading it.

And then next chapter might summarize some of the ideas in Illiberal Reformers by Thomas Leonard. This book explains how minimum wage policy was first championed by progressives as a tool of eugenics and how other laws dealing with women in the work place were promoted for those reasons. This a careful work which documents these claims in the progressives own words. It is eye opening in the extreme.

Essentially, this is an attempt to red pill a lefty but I recoil against that kind of rhetoric for it is language often used by the alt right and the last thing I'd ever want to do is associate myself with those tool-bags. So I need to find a better way to explain this project.

Any ideas? And what books would you point to that might complement those I have listed here?
« Last Edit: Dec 31st, 2017 at 5:42pm by TowardLiberty »  

"Practical men, who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influences, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist." J M Keynes

"In the first place, the dichotomy between "theoretical" and "practical" is a false one. In economics, all arguments are theoretical. And, since economics discusses the real world, these theoretical arguments are by their nature "practical" ones as well." M Rothbard

IP Logged

USyeah
LNF Majority Leader

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Re: Book project
Reply #1 - Dec 31st, 2017 at 9:17pm
Print Post  

the problem of having only private org. dealing with help & charity is that only approved of people receive benefits which is why the government has to be involved so that all people have equal access.

IP Logged

TowardLiberty
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

anti-state, anti-war and
pro-market

Reply #2 - Jan 1st, 2018 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
USyeah wrote on Dec 31st, 2017 at 9:17pm:
the problem of having only private org. dealing with help & charity is that only approved of people receive benefits which is why the government has to be involved so that all people have equal access.

That's true but it seems to me a feature not a bug. For when people have equal access there will abuse of the system. One of the great benefits of these private systems is that community feedback limited the scope for abuse.

There was no incentive to game the system for the charity was voluntary and conditional. This motivated people to get back to work.

"Practical men, who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influences, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist." J M Keynes

"In the first place, the dichotomy between "theoretical" and "practical" is a false one. In economics, all arguments are theoretical. And, since economics discusses the real world, these theoretical arguments are by their nature "practical" ones as well." M Rothbard

IP Logged

Harry
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

I'm tribal

Reply #3 - Jan 1st, 2018 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
If I understand correctly, this is a compilation of previous works?

2017 LNF Jerk of the Year

IP Logged

TowardLiberty
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

anti-state, anti-war and
pro-market

Reply #4 - Jan 1st, 2018 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
Harry wrote on Jan 1st, 2018 at 4:37pm:
If I understand correctly, this is a compilation of previous works?

Yeah- a summarizing of the work of others.

IP Logged

crepe05
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #5 - Jan 2nd, 2018 at 7:08am
Print Post  
Has anyone ever thought about writing about things that actually work?  Go ddown to where help is needed and get your hands dirty working with whatever group needs help for whatever reason.  I get so sick of theory, theory, theory and talk, talk, talk.  If help is needed in some area, provide the kind of help that is needed.  Such a simple concept that a lot of do-gooders ignore.

IP Logged

TowardLiberty
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

anti-state, anti-war and
pro-market

Reply #6 - Jan 2nd, 2018 at 10:21am
Print Post  
crepe05 wrote on Jan 2nd, 2018 at 7:08am:
Has anyone ever thought about writing about things that actually work?  Go ddown to where help is needed and get your hands dirty working with whatever group needs help for whatever reason.  I get so sick of theory, theory, theory and talk, talk, talk.  If help is needed in some area, provide the kind of help that is needed.  Such a simple concept that a lot of do-gooders ignore.

Ironic that you would say that in this thread for the focus here is on how particular approaches worked or didn't work in history and how these lessons can guide us going forward. Before you can act you must have an idea of what you want to accomplish and what means are suitable for accomplishing it.

I have written many things that can be considered purely theoretical. This is not one of them!

IP Logged

Genesee
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

If trust is misfortune,
then wish me well...

Reply #7 - Jan 2nd, 2018 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
TowardLiberty wrote on Dec 31st, 2017 at 2:48pm:
Bought a new book the other day from Amazon and it just came in the mail. It is called From Mutual Aid to the Welfare State: Fraternal Societies and Social Services 1890-1967 by David Beito.

It describes how people dealt with the uncertainties of life before the government got involved and created a welfare state and what that looked like in practice. No doubt it was not perfect. But the mix of benefits and incentives was probably more on point than what has been accomplished through public policy.

That's a big red pill, for a lack of a better word, for the traditional lefty.

And it got me thinking.

I can envision a book project that would catalog a few of these kinds insights which are not common currency on the left. Perhaps it would help improve their project.

The first chapter could make the case for community based associations for handling welfare and other social services based on insights from this book on fraternal societies.

The second chapter could summarize The Triumph of Conservatism, Gabriel Kolko's book on regulation in the progressive era and how big business influenced it in order to foreclose markets and competition. Which is exactly the reverse of what most on the left think about regulation in this era.

Kolko is a noted lefty academic and his work is thoroughly researched and documented. You will not view the progressive era the same way after reading it.

And then next chapter might summarize some of the ideas in Illiberal Reformers by Thomas Leonard. This book explains how minimum wage policy was first championed by progressives as a tool of eugenics and how other laws dealing with women in the work place were promoted for those reasons. This a careful work which documents these claims in the progressives own words. It is eye opening in the extreme.

Essentially, this is an attempt to red pill a lefty but I recoil against that kind of rhetoric for it is language often used by the alt right and the last thing I'd ever want to do is associate myself with those tool-bags. So I need to find a better way to explain this project.

Any ideas? And what books would you point to that might complement those I have listed here?

Why do you need to read books?

Some men you just can't reach.
IP Logged

TowardLiberty
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

anti-state, anti-war and
pro-market

Reply #8 - Jan 2nd, 2018 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
Genesee wrote on Jan 2nd, 2018 at 1:23pm:
Why do you need to read books?

Why?

Because other people know stuff I don't and reading them helps to bridge that gap.

IP Logged

Genesee
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

If trust is misfortune,
then wish me well...

Reply #9 - Jan 2nd, 2018 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
TowardLiberty wrote on Jan 2nd, 2018 at 1:47pm:
Why?

Because other people know stuff I don't and reading them helps to bridge that gap.

I guess, for me, what other people know beyond my perception is not considered a knowledge gap. Knowledge is a personal, private endeavor.

Some men you just can't reach.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Book project

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules