Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Book project
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Book project (Read 857 times)
Genesee
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Groovy!

Re: Book project
Reply #10 - Jan 2nd, 2018 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
TL?

Another piece of heaven, gone to hell...
IP Logged

Genesee
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Groovy!

Reply #11 - Jan 2nd, 2018 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
I just don't understand why anyone would need a to read a book on this topic to bridge a knowledge gap.  Huh Undecided

IP Logged

Poor Wallys Almanac
Hardhat
Conservative Caucus

Cunning... is but the
low mimic of wisdom ~Plato

Reply #12 - Jan 2nd, 2018 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
TowardLiberty wrote on Dec 31st, 2017 at 2:48pm:
Bought a new book the other day from Amazon and it just came in the mail. It is called From Mutual Aid to the Welfare State: Fraternal Societies and Social Services 1890-1967 by David Beito.

It describes how people dealt with the uncertainties of life before the government got involved and created a welfare state and what that looked like in practice. No doubt it was not perfect. But the mix of benefits and incentives was probably more on point than what has been accomplished through public policy.

That's a big red pill, for a lack of a better word, for the traditional lefty.

And it got me thinking.

I can envision a book project that would catalog a few of these kinds insights which are not common currency on the left. Perhaps it would help improve their project.

The first chapter could make the case for community based associations for handling welfare and other social services based on insights from this book on fraternal societies.

The second chapter could summarize The Triumph of Conservatism, Gabriel Kolko's book on regulation in the progressive era and how big business influenced it in order to foreclose markets and competition. Which is exactly the reverse of what most on the left think about regulation in this era.

The pendulum swings to the left and the pendulum swings towards the right.  If mortal man could control Newton's third law of physics n all things, then he might be able to do anything else (including controlling the weather and our Earth's climate). We, the people, may be able to correct a pendulum's swing and muster enough resources to begin it's correction in the opposite direction.  However, the swing to either the Left or the Right are also subject to the Law of Unintended consequences. We can only do our best. 

In spite of some of our higher levels of intelligence, human beings are subject to the same stimulous/response characteristics of all living things.  We also share the monkey see/monkey do of our ancestors and learn by doing.  It is wrong to take isolated snap shots of periods of time of our pendulum's swing and condemn either direction as wholly right or wholly wrong.

This nations' pendulum has been swinging to the Left for several decades (arguably since the 1960's).  It is now time for a correction of the unintended consequences as America sets a new course towards the Right.  In future years, no doubt, American will have to correct the pendulum swing as it gains far too much momentum in the opposite direction, but for now, what we need is a great big hard push towards the Right!

" The few will always act like the few.

Machiavelli

WWWAIM  
IP Logged

TowardLiberty
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

anti-state, anti-war and
pro-market

Reply #13 - Jan 2nd, 2018 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
Genesee wrote on Jan 2nd, 2018 at 1:52pm:
I guess, for me, what other people know beyond my perception is not considered a knowledge gap.

Okay, what do you consider it, then?

Quote:
Knowledge is a personal, private endeavor.

People gain knowledge from other people in the process of their personal endeavor to improve themselves. The growth of knowledge is seldom done in isolation. It is by interacting with the ideas of others that we often come up with our own.

2017 ECONOMIST OF THE YEAR, SHOOTERMAN POSTER OF THE YEAR & LNF ALL-STAR TEAM MEMBER

IP Logged

TowardLiberty
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

anti-state, anti-war and
pro-market

Reply #14 - Jan 2nd, 2018 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
Genesee wrote on Jan 2nd, 2018 at 2:05pm:
I just don't understand why anyone would need a to read a book on this topic to bridge a knowledge gap.  Huh Undecided

Do you think everyone already knows the history of fraternal orders and welfare? Does everyone know the history of regulation in the progressive era? Or the eugenicist roots of the minimum wage?

You don't see why one would need to read about this history in order to learn about it? You speak as if everyone had already read these books!

I just don't understand what you must be thinking to question why people would read books. I have to assume you are just joking.
« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2018 at 2:52pm by TowardLiberty »  

2017 ECONOMIST OF THE YEAR, SHOOTERMAN POSTER OF THE YEAR & LNF ALL-STAR TEAM MEMBER

IP Logged

TowardLiberty
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

anti-state, anti-war and
pro-market

Reply #15 - Jan 2nd, 2018 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
Poor Wallys Almanac wrote on Jan 2nd, 2018 at 2:24pm:
The pendulum swings to the left and the pendulum swings towards the right.  If mortal man could control Newton's third law of physics n all things, then he might be able to do anything else (including controlling the weather and our Earth's climate). We, the people, may be able to correct a pendulum's swing and muster enough resources to begin it's correction in the opposite direction.  However, the swing to either the Left or the Right are also subject to the Law of Unintended consequences. We can only do our best. 

In spite of some of our higher levels of intelligence, human beings are subject to the same stimulous/response characteristics of all living things.  We also share the monkey see/monkey do of our ancestors and learn by doing.  It is wrong to take isolated snap shots of periods of time of our pendulum's swing and condemn either direction as wholly right or wholly wrong.

This nations' pendulum has been swinging to the Left for several decades (arguably since the 1960's).  It is now time for a correction of the unintended consequences as America sets a new course towards the Right.  In future years, no doubt, American will have to correct the pendulum swing as it gains far too much momentum in the opposite direction, but for now, what we need is a great big hard push towards the Right!

In some ways I agree. The left needs to learn some lessons that could be considered "rightwing." Of course I would recast these lessons as classically liberal but thats a minor distinction. The fact is I agree that we need a greater appreciation for individualism, markets, private property and competition.

I wouldn't stop at the left though as it concerns these ideas. It seems to me the right needs the lesson just as bad when it comes to issues surrounding immigration, war and drug prohibition.

IP Logged

Genesee
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Groovy!

Reply #16 - Jan 2nd, 2018 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
TowardLiberty wrote on Jan 2nd, 2018 at 2:41pm:
Okay, what do you consider it, then?

Nothing.

Quote:
People gain knowledge from other people in the process of their personal endeavor to improve themselves.

I suppose if knowledgeably catching up with others is a productive way of improving yourself, by all means...

Quote:
The growth of knowledge is seldom done in isolation.

That's nice. Who said it was?

Quote:
It is by interacting with the ideas of others that we often come up with our own.

Whooo boy....  Grin

IP Logged

TowardLiberty
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

anti-state, anti-war and
pro-market

Reply #17 - Jan 2nd, 2018 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
Genesee wrote on Jan 2nd, 2018 at 2:54pm:
Nothing.

The implication being that no one knows anything that you do not. Must be nice!

Quote:
I suppose if knowledgeably catching up with others is a productive way of improving yourself, by all means...

Of course, this is beneath you, right?

Quote:
That's nice. Who said it was?

You suggested it when you said "knowledge is a personal, private endeavor" and questioned the point of reading.

You seem to think reading is a waste of time because nothing can be known by others that you don't already know or cannot learn on your own in a person and private endeavor.

IP Logged

Genesee
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Groovy!

Reply #18 - Jan 2nd, 2018 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
TowardLiberty wrote on Jan 2nd, 2018 at 2:46pm:
Do you think everyone already knows the history of fraternal orders and welfare? Does everyone know the history of regulation in the progressive era? Or the eugenicist roots of the minimum wage?

You don't see why one would need to read about this history in order to learn about it? You speak as if everyone had already read these books!

I just don't understand what you must be thinking to question why people would read books. I have to assume you are just joking.

You said about this book "...It describes how people dealt with the uncertainties of life before the government got involved and created a welfare state and what that looked like in practice..."

What knowledge do you intend to gain from this in order to bridge a gap? A gap of what? Personally, I think you're just being a smug, braggart and a dicktard. But, that's just my opinion.  Smiley

IP Logged

Fiddler
LNF Representative3

Trolls exterminated while
you wait ...

Reply #19 - Jan 2nd, 2018 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
Genesee wrote on Jan 2nd, 2018 at 3:04pm:
Personally, I think you're just being a smug, braggart and a dicktard. But, that's just my opinion. 

Ahhhhh ...  I bet you say that to all the smart people.. . them with their knowing stuff ..

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Book project

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules