Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › If Trump does an interview with Mueller and lies, can he then pardon his own felony?
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) If Trump does an interview with Mueller and lies, can he then pardon his own felony? (Read 366 times)
Vypr
LNF Party Leader

Tribunal of the Holy Office
of the Inquisition

If Trump does an interview with Mueller and lies, can he then pardon his own felony?
Jan 8th, 2018 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
Word is Trump's team is preparing for a possible interview with Mueller's team. That's bad news for the Liar in Chief and I wouldn't be surprised if they try to find some way to dodge it. I mean, Trump on the record where lying is illegal? I would be very surprised if his legal team allows it in the end. Trump is totally uncontrollable and they know it. He's a pathological liar. He simply can't help himself. I suspect sometimes he doesn't even keep facts straight enough not to lie.

1. So if he lies to Mueller and gets indicted for that (among other thing), can he pardon himself?
2. Would the Trump supporters applaud Trump pardoning himself on lying to Mueller in particular?

“It’s like Forrest Gump won the presidency, but an evil, really f**king stupid Forrest Gump.
He can’t help himself. He’s just a f**king idiot who thinks he’s winning when people are b*tching about him.”

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/04/republican-congressman-unloads-motherfker-trump-furious-top-message-conservative-pundit/

2017 LNF Conservative of the Year

IP Logged

Greg55_99
LNF Bunker

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: If Trump does an interview with Mueller and lies, can he then pardon his own felony?
Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
Naw.

Greg

&&&&"You want the TRUTH? You can't handle THE TRUTH!!"

IP Logged

Maestro
Hardhat
The Writer's Croft

Re: If Trump does an interview with Mueller and lies, can he then pardon his own felony?
Reply #2 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
Most legal scholars say the pardoning power has always been understood to be "other-centered," and that this is the most plain understanding of the term.

So, no. If a President tried, it would almost certainly go to the SCOTUS and I think they'd rule against him.

As for who would applaud it, who cares?

"For it is good to be children sometimes, and never better than at Christmas, when its mighty Founder was a child Himself."
IP Logged

Vypr
LNF Party Leader

of the Inquisition

Reply #3 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
Maestro wrote on Jan 8th, 2018 at 3:53pm:
Most legal scholars say the pardoning power has always been understood to be "other-centered," and that this is the most plain understanding of the term.

So, no. If a President tried, it would almost certainly go to the SCOTUS and I think they'd rule against him.

As for who would applaud it, who cares?

Ok, I agree if he tried to pardon himself, no go. But pardoning others with whom he may have direct ties and a shared issue?

“It’s like Forrest Gump won the presidency, but an evil, really f**king stupid Forrest Gump.
He can’t help himself. He’s just a f**king idiot who thinks he’s winning when people are b*tching about him.”

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/04/republican-congressman-unloads-motherfker-trump-furious-top-message-conservative-pundit/

IP Logged

forgotten centrist
LNF Speaker

bring back the middle
class!

Reply #4 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
I hadn't thought of this.  When I read that Mueller might meet with Trump, I thought it was just a meeting, and that it was pretty pointless.  But if it's going to be testimony, under oath, then Trump is in big trouble.

I doubt Trump has ever done well under oath, in the thousands of lawsuits he's been involved in.  Indeed, there were something like 9 top law firms that declined the president's patronage because of his refusal to heed legal advice.

2017 dream team (junior member)
and now as friendly as Jasmine!

IP Logged

Vypr
LNF Party Leader

of the Inquisition

Reply #5 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
forgotten centrist wrote on Jan 8th, 2018 at 6:12pm:
I hadn't thought of this.  When I read that Mueller might meet with Trump, I thought it was just a meeting, and that it was pretty pointless.  But if it's going to be testimony, under oath, then Trump is in big trouble.

I doubt Trump has ever done well under oath, in the thousands of lawsuits he's been involved in.  Indeed, there were something like 9 top law firms that declined the president's patronage because of his refusal to heed legal advice.

Mueller and team will eat the "genius" alive. Hell, Trump will probably hand it to them on a platter. He can't control his mouth and he is, counter to claims to the contrary, not smarter than Mueller. And he's certainly not smarter than Mueller's team taken as a group. They will put him on a spit and let him roast himself.

But hey, if he's innocent and he has nothing to hide as he claims almost daily, he should get in front of this and speak to the Mueller team. Prove it.

IP Logged

walkstall
Hardhat
Conservative Caucus
LNF Bunker

WYSIWYG

Reply #6 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
Vypr wrote on Jan 8th, 2018 at 6:22pm:
Mueller and team will eat the "genius" alive. Hell, Trump will probably hand it to them on a platter. He can't control his mouth and he is, counter to claims to the contrary, not smarter than Mueller. And he's certainly not smarter than Mueller's team taken as a group. They will put him on a spit and let him roast himself.

But hey, if he's innocent and he has nothing to hide as he claims almost daily, he should get in front of this and speak to the Mueller team. Prove it.

There is always the 5th and Executive privilege.   Grin

Trump’s ‘Americans Are DREAMers, Too’

IP Logged

Vypr
LNF Party Leader

of the Inquisition

Reply #7 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
walkstall wrote on Jan 8th, 2018 at 6:32pm:
There is always the 5th and Executive privilege.   Grin

If he takes the 5th everyone automatically will assume he has something to hide and has broken the law. His shtick all along is that he has done nothing wrong. If he takes the 5th or refuses to play along, it will damage credibility even with his base and will add weight to any indictments that eventually come down against him or his family/cohorts. Also, he can be compelled to testify in front of the grand jury. If that happens, no lawyers will be present.

IP Logged

Maestro
Hardhat
The Writer's Croft

Reply #8 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
Vypr wrote on Jan 8th, 2018 at 6:11pm:
But pardoning others with whom he may have direct ties and a shared issue?

Outside of impeachment, the presidential pardon of federal crimes is absolute. So, yes.

Trump would not be the first President to pardon someone with whom he had personal ties, shared issues, or from whom he had even received campaign and other contributions.

Some have suggested an amendment that states Presidential pardons can be overturned by a super majority of Congress within a short time period to prevent those kinds of abuses. Might not be a bad idea.

"For it is good to be children sometimes, and never better than at Christmas, when its mighty Founder was a child Himself."
IP Logged

Vypr
LNF Party Leader

of the Inquisition

Reply #9 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
Maestro wrote on Jan 8th, 2018 at 6:57pm:
Outside of impeachment, the presidential pardon of federal crimes is absolute. So, yes.

Trump would not be the first President to pardon someone with whom he had personal ties, shared issues, or from whom he had even received campaign and other contributions.

Some have suggested an amendment that states Presidential pardons can be overturned by a super majority of Congress within a short time period to prevent those kinds of abuses. Might not be a bad idea.

This is not so clear cut. Pardoning Flynn for example could be taken as evidence to obstruct justice, as it would potentially remove Flynn as a cooperating witness against Trump. The pardon power used in a way that it benefits you personally insofar as helping evade possible prosecution for crimes you may have committed should be interpreted no differently than pardoning yourself. Otherwise you are granting a nearly unchecked and absolute power.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › If Trump does an interview with Mueller and lies, can he then pardon his own felony?

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules