Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Will Oprah Run? Looking to win the states with The Color Purple?"
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Will Oprah Run? Looking to win the states with The Color Purple?" (Read 467 times)
Phillip 2.0
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Re: Will Oprah Run? Looking to win the states with The Color Purple?"
Reply #20 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
Well, Trump has opened the door to any celebrity buffoon with no political experience now thinking they too can be POTUS one day...

IP Logged

forgotten centrist
LNF Speaker

bring back the middle
class!

Reply #21 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
Maestro wrote on Jan 8th, 2018 at 3:56pm:

Not the same.

If Winfrey wants to start out as a governor somewhere and show she has political talent and can be trusted with public power, then that would be more like Reagan.

Trump showed us that political talent doesn't matter.

I think Oprah would have some of the same talent Reagan did, in that she knows how to articulate ideas and relate them to normal people.  (Trump, by the way, does not have this talent.)

I'm not very psyched about it, because she will drain the oxygen out of the room in democratic party gatherings across the country, and an otherwise better candidate might be overlooked.

2017 dream team (junior member)
and now as friendly as Jasmine!

IP Logged

President in Exile Bama Beau
LNF Party Leader
LNF Bunker

Proud member: LNF Magnificent
Seven All Star Team.

Reply #22 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
Maestro wrote on Jan 8th, 2018 at 5:09pm:
Learning is a political talent as well, but that's beside the point.

He repeatedly won elections and changed the political discussion. He, even in his first tem, had an uncanny way of connecting with voters and using that connection to get politicians from the other side to work with him. This is all political talent. Bill Clinton had a lot of that too, though he squandered it on foolishness.

But I'm not really here to defend Reagan. My point is, Oprah is an unknown when it comes to, say, working with a hostile Congress to get legislation passed. Or anything what that deals with running the executive branch of a government or even dealing with millions of people who hate your guts just for being a Democrat and speak against you on 24 hour news channels day in and out.

If she wants to start out somewhere like the House or state government, go for it. But running 1/3 of the national government? Nah. Not ready.

For whom did you vote in the 2016 race for POTUS?

Voted Most Influential Poster in the History of the Universe, 2017/2018.

IP Logged

Maestro
Hardhat
The Writer's Croft

Reply #23 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
forgotten centrist wrote on Jan 8th, 2018 at 6:05pm:
Trump showed us that political talent doesn't matter.

I disagree slightly. He showed political experience isn't necessary to get elected. (Governing is a different matter).

Hillary Clinton showed that political talent very much does matter. Her inability to relate to the electorate, articulate ideas and know where to campaign was instrumental to her loss.

Quote:
I think Oprah would have some of the same talent Reagan did, in that she knows how to articulate ideas and relate them to normal people.  (Trump, by the way, does not have this talent.)

Based on what? She's an actress/talk show hostess, yes. She's very, very personable, yes, but that's not enough. Reagan was an actor, but then spent a great deal of time traveling the country articulating political ideas, specifically related to the growth of government, communism and taxes. Oprah has not done this. Do you think Oprah has a coherent philosophy about free trade? Nation building? Taxes? 

Quote:
I'm not very psyched about it, because she will drain the oxygen out of the room in democratic party gatherings across the country, and an otherwise better candidate might be overlooked.

That is sensible.

The Dems can nominate her if they want, and in so doing, neuter one of the most potent arrows in their quiver: That the GOP elected a non-serious political neophyte based on his name recognition and little else. It's not totally true, but it's a devastating attack. They lose it if they nominate another non-serious political neophyte based on her name recognition and little else.

"For it is good to be children sometimes, and never better than at Christmas, when its mighty Founder was a child Himself."
IP Logged

Maestro
Hardhat
The Writer's Croft

Reply #24 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
Phillip 2.0 wrote on Jan 8th, 2018 at 5:58pm:
Well, Trump has opened the door to any celebrity buffoon with no political experience now thinking they too can be POTUS one day...

If the Democrats want to admit the Trump voters were right to open that door, they should nominate Oprah, yes.

If they don't, they shouldn't.

"For it is good to be children sometimes, and never better than at Christmas, when its mighty Founder was a child Himself."
IP Logged

LTx3
LNF Senior Staffer1

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #25 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
Maestro wrote on Jan 8th, 2018 at 3:56pm:

Not the same.

If Winfrey wants to start out as a governor somewhere and show she has political talent and can be trusted with public power, then that would be more like Reagan.

Governor is a management position. She has proved that by  actually creating a billion dollar business.

I'm not sure there is a best preparation for President anymore.  We can sure use a way to vet the emotionally challenged, but it looks like we are stuck with this.

IP Logged

Maestro
Hardhat
The Writer's Croft

Reply #26 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
LTx3 wrote on Jan 8th, 2018 at 6:52pm:
Governor is a management position. She has proved that by  actually creating a billion dollar business.

My, how the tables have turned.

Quote:
I'm not sure there is a best preparation for President anymore. 

I think that's a cop-out. I think people are coming up with excuses for why Oprah is qualified and Trump wasn't.

Here's the thing. Neither one was/would be prepared for what the office demands.

Do you really think Oprah Winfrey is ready to make a decision that gets people killed? Or that lets innocent people die when she could do otherwise but shouldn't? Do you think she's willing to be hated and vilified for picking the least bad of several options?

The woman spends her days being literally applauded by crowds of adoring fans. That goes out the window the moment she takes a public stand on NAFTA, farm subsidies, the PLO, and a million other things totally above her pay grade.

She isn't ready for this and has done nothing, nothing to demonstrate otherwise. This is a total, unjustified leap of faith based on fame, race, gender and charisma.

IP Logged

President in Exile Bama Beau
LNF Party Leader
LNF Bunker

Proud member: LNF Magnificent
Seven All Star Team.

Reply #27 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
Maestro wrote on Jan 8th, 2018 at 10:03pm:
My, how the tables have turned.

I think that's a cop-out. I think people are coming up with excuses for why Oprah is qualified and Trump wasn't.

Here's the thing. Neither one was/would be prepared for what the office demands.

Do you really think Oprah Winfrey is ready to make a decision that gets people killed? Or that lets innocent people die when she could do otherwise but shouldn't? Do you think she's willing to be hated and vilified for picking the least bad of several options?

The woman spends her days being literally applauded by crowds of adoring fans. That goes out the window the moment she takes a public stand on NAFTA, farm subsidies, the PLO, and a million other things totally above her pay grade.

She isn't ready for this and has done nothing, nothing to demonstrate otherwise. This is a total, unjustified leap of faith based on fame, race, gender and charisma.

Did you have the same concerns about Romney or Trump?

Did you vote for them anyway?

Voted Most Influential Poster in the History of the Universe, 2017/2018.

IP Logged

Hubba Hubba
LNF Representative2

Wrong head.

Reply #28 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
Harry wrote on Jan 8th, 2018 at 4:25pm:
With that mentorship, her failure would be imminent.

Throughout both terms.

IP Logged

walkstall
Hardhat
Conservative Caucus
LNF Bunker

WYSIWYG

Reply #29 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 6:02am
Print Post  
Wadsworth wrote on Jan 8th, 2018 at 4:23pm:
Well, if she did run, she would have a great mentor and advisor in Obama

ROTFLMAF  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Will Oprah Run? Looking to win the states with The Color Purple?"

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules