Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Federal court voids North Carolina’s GOP-drawn congressional map
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Federal court voids North Carolina’s GOP-drawn congressional map (Read 980 times)
Demos
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Hook 'Em

Re: Federal court voids North Carolina’s GOP-drawn congressional map
Reply #10 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 2:28pm
Print Post  

Wadsworth wrote on Jan 10th, 2018 at 1:59pm:
The court does not allow gerrymandering for partisan gain

Actually, partisan gerrymandering has been allowed. Whether or not it will continue to be will be decided in the Wisconsin case.

IP Logged

Wadsworth
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #11 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
Demos wrote on Jan 10th, 2018 at 2:28pm:
Actually, partisan gerrymandering has been allowed. Whether or not it will continue to be will be decided in the Wisconsin case.

It has been allowed because it was never challenged in court..  Now it has and the court rules against gerrymandering for political gain.

TowardLiberty wrote on Mar 29th, 2018 at 8:34pm:
I'll try but it might be beyond my ability. Insulting is "like 90% of what I do here."

Definition of Stupid: 
Knowing the truth, seeing evidence of truth, but still believing the lie.

IP Logged

Demos
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Hook 'Em

Reply #12 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 3:23pm
Print Post  

Wadsworth wrote on Jan 10th, 2018 at 3:21pm:
It has been allowed because it was never challenged in court.

It has been challenged in court; the SCOTUS has just never ruled whether its unconstitutional. 

IP Logged

Harrys Sockpuppet4335
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

I'm tribal

Reply #13 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
Wadsworth wrote on Jan 10th, 2018 at 3:21pm:
It has been allowed because it was never challenged in court..  Now it has and the court rules against gerrymandering for political gain.

Vieth v. Jubelirer, 541 U.S. 267 (2004), was a case heard before the United States Supreme Court. The ruling was significant in the area of partisan redistricting and political gerrymandering. The court, in a plurality decision by Justice Antonin Scalia and joined by Chief Justice William Rehnquist and Justices Sandra Day O'Connor and Clarence Thomas, with Justice Anthony Kennedy concurring in the judgment, upheld the ruling of the District Court in favor of the appellees that the alleged political gerrymandering was not unconstitutional.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vieth_v._Jubelirer

2017 LNF Jerk of the Year

IP Logged

Wadsworth
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #14 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
Demos wrote on Jan 10th, 2018 at 3:23pm:
It has been challenged in court; the SCOTUS has just never ruled whether its unconstitutional. 

Quote:
The three-judge panel struck down the map and ordered the state’s General Assembly to come up with a substitute by Jan. 24.
From the article in the OP.  Whether it goes all the way to the Supreme court ... We'll see.

I'll try but it might be beyond my ability. Insulting is "like 90% of what I do here."

Definition of Stupid: 

IP Logged

Demos
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Hook 'Em

Reply #15 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 3:31pm
Print Post  

Wadsworth wrote on Jan 10th, 2018 at 3:27pm:
From the article in the OP.  Whether it goes all the way to the Supreme court ... We'll see.

Partisan gerrymandering cases have made it to the SCOTUS before. See the link in Harry's post. That same case and another are mentioned in the link I provided. And the Wisconsin case has already been taken up by the SCOTUS.

If you want examples of other partisan gerrymandering cases, I can get you those as well.

As stated, partisan gerrymandering has been allowed, despite legal challenges, because it hasn't been found unconstitutional by the SCOTUS. Whether or not that changes depends on the outcome of the Wisconsin case.

IP Logged

Wadsworth
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #16 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Harrys Sockpuppet4335 wrote on Jan 10th, 2018 at 3:23pm:
Vieth v. Jubelirer, 541 U.S. 267 (2004), was a case heard before the United States Supreme Court. The ruling was significant in the area of partisan redistricting and political gerrymandering. The court, in a plurality decision by Justice Antonin Scalia and joined by Chief Justice William Rehnquist and Justices Sandra Day O'Connor and Clarence Thomas, with Justice Anthony Kennedy concurring in the judgment, upheld the ruling of the District Court in favor of the appellees that the alleged political gerrymandering was not unconstitutional.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vieth_v._Jubelirer

From the article you sourced

Quote:
The plurality opinion determined that partisan gerrymandering claims were nonjusticiable because there was no discernible and manageable standard for "adjudicating political gerrymandering claims." The court did not explicitly overturn its ruling in an earlier case, Davis v. Bandemer, which had found the issue of partisan gerrymandering within the judiciary's remit: five justices were unwilling to determine that partisan gerrymandering claims were nonjusticiable.
Justice Anthony Kennedy concurred with the ruling of the court to uphold the District Court's decision maintaining that cases of political gerrymandering were not justiciable. He did not, however, foreclose the possibility that judicially manageable standards for gerrymandering could be developed in future cases before the Court.
Justice John Paul Stevens, Justice David Souter, and Justice Stephen Breyer each provided dissenting opinions.

In that particular case, you are right, but in this particular case it was shown that the districts were gerrymandered for political gain.
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2018 at 3:42pm by Wadsworth »  

Definition of Stupid: 

IP Logged

Wadsworth
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #17 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
Demos wrote on Jan 10th, 2018 at 3:31pm:
Partisan gerrymandering cases have made it to the SCOTUS before. See the link in Harry's post. That same case and another are mentioned in the link I provided. And the Wisconsin case has already been taken up by the SCOTUS.

If you want examples of other partisan gerrymandering cases, I can get you those as well.

As stated, partisan gerrymandering has been allowed, despite legal challenges, because it hasn't been found unconstitutional by the SCOTUS. Whether or not that changes depends on the outcome of the Wisconsin case.

The difference is that you need to show proof of Gerrymandering.  This may be the case.  As I said we will see if it goes to the Supreme court, but as for now the federal judges have determined that in this case.

Quote:
While courts have invalidated redistricting plans, including ones in North Carolina, as racially discriminatory, judicial objection to gerrymandering for partisan gain is relatively new territory, with legal standards unsettled by the U.S. Supreme Court. Indeed, the court has never struck down a redistricting plan on the basis of partisan gerrymandering.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/01/10/federal-court-void...

Definition of Stupid: 

IP Logged

forgotten centrist
LNF Speaker

bring back the middle
class!

Reply #18 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
Another gerrymandering case is on the docket for SCOTUS as well -- this one in Maryland.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/blog/bs-md-redistricting-2017...

I'm particularly interested in this one, because republicans are suing over gerrymandering done by democrats.  It's a case where the republicans might win the battle but lose the war (by undermining the numerous states where they have been the dominant gerrymanderers.)

2017 dream team (junior member)
and now as friendly as Jasmine!

IP Logged

Wadsworth
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #19 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
forgotten centrist wrote on Jan 10th, 2018 at 3:41pm:
Another gerrymandering case is on the docket for SCOTUS as well -- this one in Maryland.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/blog/bs-md-redistricting-2017...

I'm particularly interested in this one, because republicans are suing over gerrymandering done by democrats.  It's a case where the republicans might win the battle but lose the war (by undermining the numerous states where they have been the dominant gerrymanderers.)

Yes, I am familiar with that one too.  We will see how all this goes.

Definition of Stupid: 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Federal court voids North Carolina’s GOP-drawn congressional map

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules