Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Federal court voids North Carolina’s GOP-drawn congressional map
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Federal court voids North Carolina’s GOP-drawn congressional map (Read 1,384 times)
Wadsworth
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Re: Federal court voids North Carolina’s GOP-drawn congressional map
Reply #40 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
Demos wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 3:19pm:
Roll Eyes

Go back and read page 2 of this thread. You've claimed the following:

"The court does not allow gerrymandering for partisan gain" (It does).

"It has been allowed because it was never challenged in court" (It has been).

"The difference is that you need to show proof of Gerrymandering.  This may be the case" (That's already been argued in the Wisconsin case which the SCOTUS heard in October 2017).

As usual, you're out of your depth. Instead of acknowledging when you make an incorrect statement (or at the very least reading the links you're provided), you just choose to dig a little deeper.

No it does not.  Read the article in the OP and go back to what I quoted from the article in post 37 which you have chosen to ignore.  The difference is that there was no evidence of gerrymandering for political gain in the previous cases.  In order to win a case, you must have evidence.  The previous cases did not prove their case.

Jasmine wrote on May 6th, 2018 at 7:43pm:
Yes, I heard about this. Just goes to show McLame’s true loyalties. Hopefully, Trump won’t go to his funeral very, very soon.

TowardLiberty wrote on Mar 29th, 2018 at 8:34pm:
I'll try but it might be beyond my ability. Insulting is "like 90% of what I do here."

IP Logged

Demos
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Hook 'Em

Reply #41 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 4:32pm
Print Post  

Wadsworth wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 4:26pm:
No it does not.  Read the article in the OP and go back to what I quoted from the article in post 37 which you have chosen to ignore.  The difference is that there was no evidence of gerrymandering for political gain in the previous cases.  In order to win a case, you must have evidence. The previous cases did not prove their case.

"Democrats in Indiana challenged the constitutionality of the state’s 1981 legislative apportionment plan, claiming that it diluted the votes of Indiana Democrats and therefore violated the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment. A three-judge panel of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana struck down the maps as an unconstitutional gerrymandering. The defendants then appealed to the Supreme Court" (Source).

And that was in the 1980s. They proved it as much as the plaintiffs in the North Carolina case have (how do you think these cases got to the SCOTUS in the first place).

But keep doubling down; it's bound to work out eventually.

IP Logged

Wadsworth
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #42 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
Demos wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 4:32pm:
http://cdn3-www.musicfeeds.com.au/assets/uploads/facepalm.gif

"Democrats in Indiana challenged the constitutionality of the state’s 1981 legislative apportionment plan, claiming that it diluted the votes of Indiana Democrats and therefore violated the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment. A three-judge panel of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana struck down the maps as an unconstitutional gerrymandering. The defendants then appealed to the Supreme Court" (Source).

And that was in the 1980s. They proved it as much as the plaintiffs in the North Carolina case have (how do you think these cases got to the SCOTUS in the first place).

But keep doubling down; it's bound to work out eventually.

https://www.brennancenter.org/sites/default/files/legal-work/Davis_v_Bandemer.pd...

They failed to show a threshold showing of discriminatory vote dilution. Read the opinions.

« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2018 at 8:28pm by Wadsworth »  

Yes, I heard about this. Just goes to show McLame’s true loyalties. Hopefully, Trump won’t go to his funeral very, very soon.

I'll try but it might be beyond my ability. Insulting is "like 90% of what I do here."

IP Logged

Demos
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Hook 'Em

Reply #43 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 5:39pm
Print Post  

Wadsworth wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 5:32pm:
They fail to show a threshold showing of discriminatory vote dilution. Read the opinions.

You're consistently inconsistent.

You say the North Carolina plaintiffs proved their case to the 3 judge panel. Well, so did the Indiana plaintiffs and a host of others.

When the SCOTUS overrules the district court in these prior cases, you say they didn't prove anything, yet you keep claiming there's proof in the North Carolina case based on the district court's ruling.

If there's proof in the North Carolina case, then there was proof in the others. Or since the SCOTUS hasn't ruled, we don't know if the North Carolina plaintiffs have proven their case.

So which is it? Want to double down again?

Maybe you should just quit trying to act like you know it all.

IP Logged

Wadsworth
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #44 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
Demos wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 5:39pm:
You're consistently inconsistent.

You say the North Carolina plaintiffs proved their case to the 3 judge panel. Well, so did the Indiana plaintiffs and a host of others.

When the SCOTUS overrules the district court in these prior cases, you say they didn't prove anything, yet you keep claiming there's proof in the North Carolina case based on the district court's ruling.

If there's proof in the North Carolina case, then there was proof in the others. Or since the SCOTUS hasn't ruled, we don't know if the North Carolina plaintiffs have proven their case.

So which is it? Want to double down again?

Maybe you should just quit trying to act like you know it all.

I also said we will see how this goes in the Supreme Court.  You ignorantly beleive that the verdict of one case rules on all cases there after no matter what the evidence is.

IP Logged

Demos
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Hook 'Em

Reply #45 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 5:55pm
Print Post  

Wadsworth wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 5:45pm:
You ignorantly beleive that the verdict of one case rules on all cases there after no matter what the evidence is.

Oh yeah? Care to show where I've made any such claim? Or are you mixing up your posters again? Because I'm pretty sure I haven't said that.

The opinions from Davis on have made clear that partisan gerrymandering claims are justiciable. What they have also found is that there aren't sufficient standards for determining a political gerrymander. That's where the Wisconsin case comes in (and why it's more relevant); the plaintiffs are arguing they have a sufficient way to prove it. What the SCOTUS rules in the Wisconsin case will have a significant impact on the future of partisan gerrymandering claims if they find there is a reliable standard.

IP Logged

Wadsworth
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #46 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
Demos wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 5:55pm:
Oh yeah? Care to show where I've made any such claim? Or are you mixing up your posters again? Because I'm pretty sure I haven't said that.

The opinions from Davis on have made clear that partisan gerrymandering claims are justiciable. What they have also found is that there aren't sufficient standards for determining a political gerrymander. That's where the Wisconsin case comes in (and why it's more relevant); the plaintiffs are arguing they have a sufficient way to prove it. What the SCOTUS rules in the Wisconsin case will have a significant impact on the future of partisan gerrymandering claims if they find there is a reliable standard.

Demos wrote on Jan 10th, 2018 at 3:47pm:
The Wisconsin case is already before the SCOTUS (why is this so hard to understand); they heard the arguments last October, and the plaintiffs are arguing they can prove partisan gerrymadering (Source).

And here's the oral arguments transcript from the Wisconsin case: https://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_arguments/argument_transcripts/2017/16-1161_mj...

A ruling in that case will be out before the North Carolina case will be heard.

Enough said

IP Logged

TowardLiberty
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

anti-state, anti-war and
pro-market

Reply #47 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
I think you might have finally found a way to consistently win arguments, Wads.

Just quote your opponents.

Open Trade, Open Borders, Taco Trucks on Every Corner

IP Logged

Wadsworth
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #48 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
TowardLiberty wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 8:19pm:
I think you might have finally found a way to consistently win arguments, Wads.

Just quote your opponents.

Whatever you say Harry

IP Logged

TowardLiberty
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

anti-state, anti-war and
pro-market

Reply #49 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
Wadsworth wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 8:26pm:
Whatever you say Harry

Careful. This could libelous.

You don't want to ruin my career.

Open Trade, Open Borders, Taco Trucks on Every Corner

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Federal court voids North Carolina’s GOP-drawn congressional map

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules