Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Federal court voids North Carolina’s GOP-drawn congressional map
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Federal court voids North Carolina’s GOP-drawn congressional map (Read 1,003 times)
Wadsworth
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Federal court voids North Carolina’s GOP-drawn congressional map
Jan 10th, 2018 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
Quote:
A federal court on Tuesday ruled that Republicans in North Carolina unconstitutionally gerrymandered congressional districts in 2016 to ensure Republican “domination of the state’s congressional delegation.”
The three-judge panel struck down the map and ordered the state’s General Assembly to come up with a substitute by Jan. 24.
The decision was the first striking down of a congressional map, as opposed to a state legislative map, on the grounds that it was rigged in favor of a particular political party. Redistricting has historically been political and partisan to one degree or another.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/01/10/federal-court-void...
Good move. Gerrymandering allows our Representatives to choose their voters instead of the voters choosing their Representatives.

TowardLiberty wrote on Mar 29th, 2018 at 8:34pm:
I'll try but it might be beyond my ability. Insulting is "like 90% of what I do here."

Definition of Stupid: 
Knowing the truth, seeing evidence of truth, but still believing the lie.

IP Logged

Fiddler
LNF Representative3

Trolls exterminated while
you wait ...

Re: Federal court voids North Carolina’s GOP-drawn congressional map
Reply #1 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
Odd how the same people that lust for a flat tax don't seem to mind congressional districts that resemble one half of a Rorschach Test ..

Still  Good to see a judge put a stop to yet another Republican attempt to win by cheating.. (Think Voter ID)

IP Logged

Demos
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Hook 'Em

Reply #2 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 1:10pm
Print Post  

The North Carolina districts were pretty much text book gerrymandering and violated all kinds of redistricting norms/requirements:

I'm more interested in the Wisconsin case myself, as it deals specifically with partisan gerrymandering and its districts are not obviously out of step with redistricting requirements.

IP Logged

Harrys Sockpuppet4335
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

I'm tribal

Reply #3 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
Democrats were elated to learn this week that the U.S. Supreme Court will take up a case that seeks to eliminate partisan gerrymandering. They assume that doing so will eliminate the advantage Republicans have had in the U.S. House of Representatives in the last 25 years where, although Democrats often poll as many votes as Republicans nationwide, the GOP has won majorities in all but two of the last 12 elections.

They assume the reason for these losses can be ascribed to nefarious plots hatched in the majority of state legislatures Republicans control. If Justice Anthony Kennedy joins with the court’s solidly liberal quartet, it’s possible that the result will be a historic decision that will end a practice that dates back to the beginning of the republic.

But Democrats need to be careful about what they wish for. By asking the court to ban gerrymanders, liberals are pitting one of their interests against another. On the one hand, a ban on partisan gerrymanders would potentially hamstring GOP efforts to maximize their current advantage. But it could run headlong up against the way the court’s interpretation of the Voting Rights Act has mandated the creation of majority-minority districts. It’s far from clear that the high court can thread the political needle so as to allow those racial gerrymanders that have helped black and minority politicians without also hurting the Democratic Party that their voters support.

http://thefederalist.com/2017/06/22/democrats-think-twice-seeking-end-gerrymande...

2017 LNF Jerk of the Year

IP Logged

Wadsworth
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #4 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
Harrys Sockpuppet4335 wrote on Jan 10th, 2018 at 1:11pm:
Democrats were elated to learn this week that the U.S. Supreme Court will take up a case that seeks to eliminate partisan gerrymandering. They assume that doing so will eliminate the advantage Republicans have had in the U.S. House of Representatives in the last 25 years where, although Democrats often poll as many votes as Republicans nationwide, the GOP has won majorities in all but two of the last 12 elections.

They assume the reason for these losses can be ascribed to nefarious plots hatched in the majority of state legislatures Republicans control. If Justice Anthony Kennedy joins with the court’s solidly liberal quartet, it’s possible that the result will be a historic decision that will end a practice that dates back to the beginning of the republic.

But Democrats need to be careful about what they wish for. By asking the court to ban gerrymanders, liberals are pitting one of their interests against another. On the one hand, a ban on partisan gerrymanders would potentially hamstring GOP efforts to maximize their current advantage. But it could run headlong up against the way the court’s interpretation of the Voting Rights Act has mandated the creation of majority-minority districts. It’s far from clear that the high court can thread the political needle so as to allow those racial gerrymanders that have helped black and minority politicians without also hurting the Democratic Party that their voters support.

http://thefederalist.com/2017/06/22/democrats-think-twice-seeking-end-gerrymande...

Bottom line....Gerrymandering on either side is wrong.

I'll try but it might be beyond my ability. Insulting is "like 90% of what I do here."

Definition of Stupid: 

IP Logged

Fiddler
LNF Representative3

you wait ...

Reply #5 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
Wadsworth wrote on Jan 10th, 2018 at 1:45pm:
Gerrymandering on either side is wrong.

Yes.. and Harry supports the practice..

IP Logged

Harrys Sockpuppet4335
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

I'm tribal

Reply #6 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
Wadsworth wrote on Jan 10th, 2018 at 1:45pm:
Bottom line....Gerrymandering on either side is wrong.

The Supreme Court demands that states gerrymander. Take it up with them.

IP Logged

Fiddler
LNF Representative3

you wait ...

Reply #7 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
Harrys Sockpuppet4335 wrote on Jan 10th, 2018 at 1:50pm:
The Supreme Court demands that states gerrymander. .

Assuming they do ..  are they right or wrong to do so?

IP Logged

Wadsworth
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #8 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
Harrys Sockpuppet4335 wrote on Jan 10th, 2018 at 1:50pm:
The Supreme Court demands that states gerrymander. Take it up with them.

It has been taken up with them.  The court does not allow gerrymandering for partisan gain

Definition of Stupid: 

IP Logged

Harrys Sockpuppet4335
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

I'm tribal

Reply #9 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
Fiddler wrote on Jan 10th, 2018 at 1:52pm:
Assuming they do ..  are they right or wrong to do so?

Hush.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Federal court voids North Carolina’s GOP-drawn congressional map

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules