Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Just What We Need
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Just What We Need (Read 124 times)
Luther
LNF House Leader

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Just What We Need
Jan 11th, 2018 at 6:28am
Print Post  

Chit hole Puerto Rico to become a state Roll Eyes

Quote:
Puerto Rico on Wednesday launched a bid for statehood by announcing a shadow delegation to lobby Congress.

Republican Resident Commissioner Jenniffer González-Colón announced the commission's members on the House floor, The Hill reports, saying Puerto Rico was reduced "to a second-class citizenship" because of its territorial status

Read Full Article Here Report: Puerto Rico Launches Statehood Bid to End Its 'Second-Class Citizenship'

https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/puerto-rico-statehood-congress-delegation/2018...

All throughout our American history, world history, "ordinary people can do extraordinary things"

un·known quan·ti·ty
noun
a person or thing whose nature, value, or significance cannot be determined or is not yet known.

IP Logged

Maestro
Hardhat
The Writer's Croft

Re: Just What We Need
Reply #1 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
Well, they're not paying any federal taxes now (business or personal), so that would presumably change with statehood.

Of course, that would probably drive the businesses away, which would dramatically decrease the tax receipts.

I'm ambivalent towards Statehood. They should get to determine their fate, though.

If they want Statehood (which they have voted for once, but with low turnout due to a boycott) it's hard to justify denying it, likewise if they choose to break free or stay as they are.

"For it is good to be children sometimes, and never better than at Christmas, when its mighty Founder was a child Himself."
IP Logged

Luther
LNF House Leader

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #2 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 7:15am
Print Post  
Maestro wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 7:18pm:
Well, they're not paying any federal taxes now (business or personal), so that would presumably change with statehood.

Of course, that would probably drive the businesses away, which would dramatically decrease the tax receipts.

I'm ambivalent towards Statehood. They should get to determine their fate, though.

If they want Statehood (which they have voted for once, but with low turnout due to a boycott) it's hard to justify denying it, likewise if they choose to break free or stay as they are.

Quote:
Well, they're not paying any federal taxes now (business or personal), so that would presumably change with statehood

Yep

Quote:
it's hard to justify denying it,

But...... the chit hole has dug themselves in a 72 BILLION dollar mess. More with the recent hurricane?

It's actually easy to justify not to Roll Eyes

All throughout our American history, world history, "ordinary people can do extraordinary things"

un·known quan·ti·ty
noun
a person or thing whose nature, value, or significance cannot be determined or is not yet known.

IP Logged

Maestro
Hardhat
The Writer's Croft

Reply #3 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 8:23am
Print Post  
Luther wrote on Jan 12th, 2018 at 7:15am:
It's actually easy to justify not to Roll Eyes

It's hard not to accept some responsibility for what goes on in PR, given that they are a territory of the U.S.

However, I'd propose a compromise. I agree that allowing what would become the poorest State into the union is problematic. What I would like to see is a joint U.S. / PR plan to bring their economy, standard of living and infrastructure up to something that would be closer to the average U.S. state. Maybe a 10 to 20 year plan. One that doesn't involve welfare increases, but actual economic improvements. If we can meet that goal, Statehood is theirs if they want it. Given that they are a territory, not a State, mandating the required steps would be easier to accomplish as there would be fewer 10th Amendment concerns.

That might be unrealistic, but I'm not so sure.

"For it is good to be children sometimes, and never better than at Christmas, when its mighty Founder was a child Himself."
IP Logged

BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #4 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 8:28am
Print Post  
Well, since a shithole like Hawaii became the 50th state, anything is possible...

When Q hears gallop noises he doesn't think zebras; he thinks there's a Democrat behind a curtain, making gallop noises.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Just What We Need

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules