Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › This is what Democrats and leftists need to start paying attention to
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) This is what Democrats and leftists need to start paying attention to (Read 730 times)
Queshank
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

This is what Democrats and leftists need to start paying attention to
Jan 11th, 2018 at 9:58am
Print Post  
Heartland Democrats to Washington: ‘You’re Killing Us’

A new report blames an elitist national party for alienating vast swaths of once reliable voters. If the party doesn’t win them back, it could spell disaster in 2020.

This is the reality of my existence here in South Dakota.  The Democrats seem determined to go all in on the issues that are important to people in California and New York.  That's not a winning strategy.  I think most of the Democratic leadership is aware of this and that's why they're banking so hard on Mueller being their flawed champion. That's a big gamble considering what's at stake.

A few quotes that are exactly what I've been saying to my leftist friends.

There are 737 counties in the Midwest—Trump won all but 63 of them. “We can’t keep bombing in the rural parts of these states,” Bustos told me. And with arguably some of the most critical midterms in American history less than 10 months away, the 2020 presidential election already looming and redistricting control on the line, Democrats need to find a fix fast, said Robin Johnson, a Bustos adviser and consultant who teaches political science at Monmouth College in Illinois, and conducted the interviews for the report last summer. “If we don’t get this right in the next two cycles,” he told me, “we’re done”—rendered mostly powerless in Congress and in Heartland state houses.

From the Appalachian regions of Ohio to the Iron Range of Minnesota and the northern reaches of Michigan and Wisconsin, across Iowa and Missouri and through the southern swaths of Indiana and Illinois—areas in which Bill Clinton triumphed and Hillary Clinton tanked—the quotes from the 72 rural Democrats Johnson interviewed read like a pent-up primal scream. And Terry Goodin’s comments pop out in particular. In the report, he says the Democratic Party is “lazy,” “out of touch with mainstream America,” relying on “too much identity politics” where “winners and losers are picked by their labels.” The Democrats in his district, he laments, “feel abandoned.”

“Do you ever find yourself, as a Democrat, wanting to push back?” I asked.

“You’re looking at a Democrat right there,” Goodin said. “He’s a Democrat who voted for Donald Trump.”

“He’s also,” I said, “a Democrat who didn’t want to train a Muslim in his truck because he was afraid of getting blown up.”

“But you know,” Goodin said, “you let people live their lives, and you don’t question—I mean, what good would it have done?” He went on: “There’s no reason for confrontation—that’s the trouble with Congress now—because Delmis Burns and I, you wash away some of the odd things, what some people may consider odd that he would have said, what he said about the Muslim guy—the reason he said that is there’s no Muslims around our area. So he just don’t trust ‘em. He don’t know who they are … But Delmis Burns and I probably agree on 90 percent of everything we’d ever talk about. So why would I focus on the 10 percent that I don’t agree with him on?”

The east and west coast are not going to save the Democrats.  And the Democrats are in a tough spot.  The east and west coast control all of the megaphones.  (Unless you're Donald Trump and figure out how to do an end run) 

It is not the Republican Party that is in trouble.  I've been maintaining this for awhile now.  It is the Democratic Party that is in trouble.  They are trapped between the peddlers of identity politics who will abandon them if they abandon identity politics and vote 3rd party, and what used to be their bread and butter voter base: Blue collar workers and farmers.  It used to be in my state that even tho they always voted Republican for president, they always had Democratic senators and Representatives.  The state house was always Democrat. I've watched that change before my eyes in my 47 years of living in SD Minnesota and a brief stint in Ohio.

Democrats need to get their shit together and stop focusing so much on this feel good do nothing shit ... like Russia.  Let Russia play out how it plays out and clean up your crappity smacking own houses people.

The argument needs to be made that women's issues are important for gays, transgenders AND women.  Human rights issues are important for Hispanics, blacks, Muslims, AND white people.  The burgeoning police state isn't just important for blacks, it's important for all the unarmed white and Hispanic citizens being shot too (and there's far more of them than there are blacks)

Just use a Venn diagram. 

It's not that complicated. 

51% of the people in this country are women.  You know how many lesbians are women?  All of them.  Who benefits from protecting women's issues?  Lesbians.  /gasp.  Shocking.  Are lesbians women first or lesbians first?  Which is more integral to their identity?  Are transgender women women first or transgenders first?  Which is more important to their identity (if you answer something other than "women" BZZZZZZT!  I think you missed the real point of transgender issues in your drive to fuel the Democratic tank with identity politics fumes instead of actual gas.)

In 2015 1388 people were killed by police.  Only 318 of them were black.  Why focus on 23% of the killings when you could focus on 100% of them and draw more support?

Just stupid.

/rant off

Queshank

BowHunter wrote on Nov 30th, 2017 at 10:24am:
I am not aware of any article

IP Logged

MJ

Re: This is what Democrats and leftists need to start paying attention to
Reply #1 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 11:57am
Print Post  
Rural, small-town America has a problem: their way of life is vanishing. Small family farmers have been eaten up by Beck, CPS and the like. The Five-and-Dimes are gone to make room for Walmart, and the local steel mill was taken over by Yale MBAs and relocated to China for lower labor costs.

The local response often involves cutting school funding, ensuring that God teachers don't want to teach there, and depriving students from the opportunity to get a strong educational foundation useful for making it in a changing world. And with no educated people, why would any other industry want to move in?

The Democratic response to this has been "uh..." while the Republicans have responded with blaming women for trying to start careers of their own, Mexicans for taking the auto supplier manufacturer job that pays 10% of what misunderstood-Trump-voter used to make (as if that's their fault) and non-Christians for objecting to being forced to read Ken Ham's and David Barton's crap in textbooks after being mandated to participate in school prayer. Democrats need a plan, yes, but let's not pretend that anyone else is offering workable solutions.

Queshank, I've met the Rep. Terry Goodin that's interviewed here. Good guy, but he's not one the entire party should look to as a way forward. You mention women's issues -- well, the right to make their own reproductive choices is a pretty core one, and Goodin is opposed to it, as one example. Sure, it plays well in rural Indiana where his family name goes a long way. That folksy charm doesn't represent Indianapolis, only an hour away but a world apart, with a much more diverse and educated population. So his trucker friend who just doesn't like Muslims might not feel so welcomed, because he won't be. 

I roll my eyes every time someone mentions the map of the country, showing how much red is the and his little blue there is. What this ignores is that the red is a lot of area where almost nobody lives, and the small blue pockets largely equal or surpass the people in the red area. That's not to say that the red areas are irrelevant, but can we atleast accept that those east and west coasts aren't some small pocket? -- there's a lot of people there, without fawning Politico features about how misunderstood they are.

Between Politico, WaPo, NYT, CNN, etc, there's a full-length featured story literally every week about rural white Trump voter who voted his own job and pay away because he doesn't like "other" people and longs for the past, but swears he's a good person who we should listen to. Enough already. 
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2018 at 12:02pm by MJ »  

Cleek's Law: Today’s conservatism is the opposite of what liberals want today, updated daily.

IP Logged

glen65
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

Reply #2 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
Queshank wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 9:58am:
Democrats need to get their shit together and stop focusing so much on this feel good do nothing shit ... like Russia.  Let Russia play out how it plays out and clean up your crappity smacking own houses people.

Not going to happen, they already have so much invested in the Russia collusion angle, they're not going to simply let go of it. If anything they are attempting to expand its scope, in order to keep the whole thing going.

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #3 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
MJ wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 11:57am:
Rural, small-town America has a problem: their way of life is vanishing. Small family farmers have been eaten up by Beck, CPS and the like. The Five-and-Dimes are gone to make room for Walmart, and the local steel mill was taken over by Yale MBAs and relocated to China for lower labor costs.

The local response often involves cutting school funding, ensuring that God teachers don't want to teach there, and depriving students from the opportunity to get a strong educational foundation useful for making it in a changing world. And with no educated people, why would any other industry want to move in?

The Democratic response to this has been "uh..." while the Republicans have responded with blaming women for trying to start careers of their own, Mexicans for taking the auto supplier manufacturer job that pays 10% of what misunderstood-Trump-voter used to make (as if that's their fault) and non-Christians for objecting to being forced to read Ken Ham's and David Barton's crap in textbooks after being mandated to participate in school prayer. Democrats need a plan, yes, but let's not pretend that anyone else is offering workable solutions.

Queshank, I've met the Rep. Terry Goodin that's interviewed here. Good guy, but he's not one the entire party should look to as a way forward. You mention women's issues -- well, the right to make their own reproductive choices is a pretty core one, and Goodin is opposed to it, as one example. Sure, it plays well in rural Indiana where his family name goes a long way. That folksy charm doesn't represent Indianapolis, only an hour away but a world apart, with a much more diverse and educated population. So his trucker friend who just doesn't like Muslims might not feel so welcomed, because he won't be. 

I roll my eyes every time someone mentions the map of the country, showing how much red is the and his little blue there is. What this ignores is that the red is a lot of area where almost nobody lives, and the small blue pockets largely equal or surpass the people in the red area. That's not to say that the red areas are irrelevant, but can we atleast accept that those east and west coasts aren't some small pocket? -- there's a lot of people there, without fawning Politico features about how misunderstood they are.

Between Politico, WaPo, NYT, CNN, etc, there's a full-length featured story literally every week about rural white Trump voter who voted his own job and pay away because he doesn't like "other" people and longs for the past, but swears he's a good person who we should listen to. Enough already. 

The point is not the "map" of the country MJ showing so much red.  The point is the map of the country showing so little blue.  You're ignoring the electoral college and the continued concentration of "blue" in fewer and fewer high population areas.  You're ignoring that the 700,000 people in South Dakota have 2 senators ... and the 39 million people in California have 2 senators as well...

The Democratic Party is nearly powerless at this point in most of the country.  THAT is the point here.  Goodin's stance on abortion is irrelevant.  He's just the person being interviewed here.  I know a shit load of Democrats here in South Dakota.  I don't know any who are anti abortion.  You seem to be suggesting we should throw all those Democrats to the wilderness in favor of party approved Democrats in New York.

You pretty much ignored my whole point to simply regurgitate the same old crap that rationalizes and justifies the Democrats continued decline.

Your dismissal of the opinions of people all over the country is duly noted.  But misses so much.  Like how voting Democrat has been voting jobs and pay away as well.  Like disregarding legitimate concerns about "illegal" immigration (held by legal immigrants more than most) to smear the the concerned about "others."  Is the Chinese immigrant in an article I shared yesterday's problem with "illegal" immigrants a fear of the others?  How about the Hispanic carpenter immigrant that had a problem with illegal immigration?  Does he just hate ... well ... Hispanics?

Instead of opening their arms wide to include more people and attract more voters ... the Democrats are shunning and dismissing people and shrinking their voting pool.  That's great that I've been hearing Democrats hammer on "changing demographics" as their reason for disregarding so many American citizens.  But exactly how is it going to help to have 3 million more Hispanics in California vote Democrat?  Those demographics aren't spread out over the entire country.  They're concentrated in specific areas of the country that already vote blue.

Queshank

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #4 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
glen65 wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 12:29pm:
Not going to happen, they already have so much invested in the Russia collusion angle, they're not going to simply let go of it. If anything they are attempting to expand its scope, in order to keep the whole thing going.   

Glen let's be honest on that and let people in on the dirty little secret.

It's because the Democratic leadership knows its the only play they've got.  They're trapped in a box.

Queshank

IP Logged

Mojo-Jojo
LNF Representative2

The hobo fohmally known
as Jojo is no mo'.

Reply #5 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
Meh, the GOP has played the golbalization card better.

That's it.

They're the better party at assigning blame. The Democrats lost the blue collar vote when we started outsourcing our factories. Instead of fighting the inevitable, the Dems jumped in bed with Wall Street and embraced "free trade". When both major parties are doing NOTHING to stop the outsourcing, what's a worker to do? The GOP is great at the blame game and that's pretty appealing to someone who's lost or may lose his job.

Those Mexicans took our jobs!

The GOP seems to dislike foreigners. The Dems seem to embrace them.

I'm switching to Republican!  Angry

How long before folks realize they've been had?

If you are more fortunate than others, build a longer table, not a taller fence.

IP Logged

Lomelis
LNF Speaker

Wonderboy

Reply #6 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
I don't see the Dem's in that big of trouble overall.  They screwed up big time in the last election.  The party chose probably the worst candidate, a corrupt New York elitist who ran a horrible campaign.

If it had been anybody else but Hillary and had the party elite not attempted to crown her thus turning off a lot of voters there would probably be a Dem sitting in the white house right now.

Ignorant Blessings from Wads:

Wadsworth wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 4:13pm:
Watched it.  A shotgun is for long ranged shooting.  That is why hunters like them.  An AR-15 is not.  That video was misleading.

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #7 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
Mojo-Jojo wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 1:22pm:
Meh, the GOP has played the golbalization card better.

That's it.

They're the better party at assigning blame. The Democrats lost the blue collar vote when we started outsourcing our factories. Instead of fighting the inevitable, the Dems jumped in bed with Wall Street and embraced "free trade". When both major parties are doing NOTHING to stop the outsourcing, what's a worker to do? The GOP is great at the blame game and that's pretty appealing to someone who's lost or may lose his job.

Those Mexicans took our jobs!

The GOP seems to dislike foreigners. The Dems seem to embrace them.

I'm switching to Republican!  Angry

How long before folks realize they've been had?

I think a bunch did ... that's why they voted Trump over the impeccably credentialed Republicans who've been crappity smacking them.

And a whole bunch of other people on the left did too.  That's why they voted Bernie over the impeccably credentialed Democrats who've been crappity smacking them.

The tack the Democrats have been taking for the past 20 years has gotten them to where they are now.  Irrelevant across most of the country as this article is discussing.  And the findings of the study being discussed in said article are showing (and warning of) increasing irrelevancy as time goes on across much of the country.

The tack the Republicans have been taking for the past 20 years has gotten them Trump lol.

Queshank

IP Logged

glen65
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

Reply #8 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
Queshank wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 1:09pm:
Glen let's be honest on that and let people in on the dirty little secret.

It's because the Democratic leadership knows its the only play they've got.  They're trapped in a box.

Queshank

Point is, what Goodin is complaining about here is very unlikely to change. If things continue as they have with the Dems, I suspect that his frustration will get to the point, where he might eventually leave the party.

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #9 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
Lomelis wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 1:38pm:
I don't see the Dem's in that big of trouble overall.  They screwed up big time in the last election.  The party chose probably the worst candidate, a corrupt New York elitist who ran a horrible campaign.

If it had been anybody else but Hillary and had the party elite not attempted to crown her thus turning off a lot of voters there would probably be a Dem sitting in the white house right now.

Is that why the Democrats have lost 1,000 seats nationwide?  Cuz they're fine and 2016 was an aberration?

The point to this is the Democrats have lost the Midwest.

They still hold the coasts.  But ... they always did.

What 2016 showed is what happens when the Democrats lose the Midwest.

Queshank

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › This is what Democrats and leftists need to start paying attention to

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules