Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Tillerson: US Troops Will Stay in Syria
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Tillerson: US Troops Will Stay in Syria (Read 4,717 times)
Demos
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Hook 'Em

Re: Tillerson: US Troops Will Stay in Syria
Reply #140 - Jan 1st, 2019 at 10:24pm
Print Post  

Quote:
Powerful Antitank Missiles Put U.S. Forces in Middle East at Risk

An upgraded class of high-powered weaponry has flooded the battlefields of the Middle East, threatening even the most sophisticated battle tanks and highlighting a gap in U.S. military preparedness...

A U.S. program begun in mid-2013 provided weapons including ATGM missiles to rebels fighting the Assad regime in Syria. President Trump later canceled the program, saying in a 2017 interview with The Wall Street Journal that it allowed weapons to fall into al Qaeda hands.

“There is absolutely the possibility that the U.S. may face some of the same ATGMs it has delivered in the past to the Middle East,” said Omar Lamrani, a senior military analyst with the Austin, Texas-based defense-intelligence firm Stratfor. Islamic State and al Qaeda offshoots, among others, now possess American-made missiles, he added...

The Army is now fast-tracking a program to equip combat vehicles with advanced armor designed to counter the ATGM threat. While Mr. Trump has ordered the withdrawal of U.S. forces from Syria, there are currently more than 2,000 U.S. troops there, along with an estimated 5,000 in Iraq, 14,000 in Afghanistan and others around the Middle East and Africa...

Source

IP Logged

Demos
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Hook 'Em

Reply #141 - Jan 2nd, 2019 at 10:34am
Print Post  

Quote:
Fighting among rebels in northern Syria kills dozens

BEIRUT (AP) — Two days of fighting in rebel-held parts of northern Syria killed dozens of people as al-Qaida-linked militants press their offensive against Turkey-backed rebels, a war monitor and activists said Wednesday...

With their offensive, the al-Qaida-linked fighters are trying to cut off Turkey-backed fighters in the northern enclave of Afrin from those in the northwestern province of Idlib, amid concerns that Turkey might make a deal with Russia at the expense of the extremists, said Rami Abdurrahman who heads the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights...

Source

IP Logged

Demos
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Hook 'Em

Reply #142 - Jan 2nd, 2019 at 2:15pm
Print Post  

*sigh*

Quote:
Trump gives no timetable for Syria, wants to protect Kurds

WASHINGTON (REUTERS) - US President Donald Trump said on Wednesday (Jan 2) the United States would get out of Syria "over a period of time" and wants to protect the US-backed Kurdish fighters in the country as Washington draws down troops.

Trump said during a Cabinet meeting at the White House he never gave a four-month timetable for the withdrawal, which he announced last month against the advice of top national security aides and without consulting lawmakers or US allies participating in anti-Islamic State in Iraq and Syria operations.

Source

IP Logged

Demos
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Hook 'Em

Reply #143 - Jan 2nd, 2019 at 2:53pm
Print Post  

Reportedly said during today's cabinet meeting...

Quote:
Trump on Iran’s role in Syria: “they can do what they want there, frankly”

Source

I chortled thinking about Bolton's reaction. Probably something like this:

IP Logged

Mojo-Jojo
LNF Representative2

The hobo fohmally known
as Jojo is no mo'.

Reply #144 - Jan 2nd, 2019 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
Demos wrote on Jan 2nd, 2019 at 2:15pm:
*sigh*

Source

Heh, so Graham's sit down and the fact that his base wants to keep killing Muslims, errr...excuse me, *insert terrorist acronym* has lead him to reevaluate pulling out.

Undecided

Obama was disappointing on this front too. Couldn't close Gitmo, couldn't leave Afghanistan or Iraq.

If you are more fortunate than others, build a longer table, not a taller fence.

Oh noes! Virtue Signaling!!

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #145 - Jan 2nd, 2019 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
Demos wrote on Jan 2nd, 2019 at 2:53pm:
Reportedly said during today's cabinet meeting...

Source

I chortled thinking about Bolton's reaction. Probably something like this:

https://i.gifer.com/Hzzy.gif

I LOL'd at this.  I'm still laughing about it.  "I'm coming Elizabeth!  This is the big one!"

I'm honestly hard pressed to figure out what exactly are the negative ramifications of letting Russia and Iran be friends with Syria.

It's Syria. 

In case that needs repeating.

It's Syria. 

What exactly is the prize we're trying to hold on to here?   What exactly is the prize we're trying to deny Iran or Russia?

I mean I understand the rational behind competing with Iran for influence in the region.  At least it makes sense.  I understand the maneuverings and the desires of the neo cons.

But I'm truly at a loss as to what we're losing out on here.  On this issue, our interests should be aligned with Russia.

Aside from the people of the region (obviously) ... the ones who have paid the heaviest cost for the mistakes of our most recent interventions in the Middle East have been the West and the so called "liberal international order" that encouraged and insisted on said interventions.

Queshank

BowHunter wrote on Nov 30th, 2017 at 10:24am:
I am not aware of any article

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #146 - Jan 2nd, 2019 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
Mojo-Jojo wrote on Jan 2nd, 2019 at 4:44pm:
Heh, so Graham's sit down and the fact that his base wants to keep killing Muslims, errr...excuse me, *insert terrorist acronym* has lead him to reevaluate pulling out.

Undecided

Obama was disappointing on this front too. Couldn't close Gitmo, couldn't leave Afghanistan or Iraq.

This is what always gets people in trouble where Trump is concerned.

Why do you read an article that says:

US President Donald Trump said on Wednesday (Jan 2) the United States would get out of Syria "over a period of time" and wants to protect the US-backed Kurdish fighters in the country as Washington draws down troops.

... and think that he's "reevaluating" pulling out?

The article itself literally says "as Washington draws down troops."

This whole thread started in January.  Over Trump's desire to get out of Syria.  The most  consistent element of this thread is Trump wanting to withdraw from Syria ... even in the article quoted here. 

Unfortunately, the second most consistent element of this thread has been the Democrats' desire to stay in Syria and to fight Russia for Syria.

Queshank

IP Logged

Mojo-Jojo
LNF Representative2

The hobo fohmally known
as Jojo is no mo'.

Reply #147 - Jan 2nd, 2019 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
Queshank wrote on Jan 2nd, 2019 at 6:11pm:
This is what always gets people in trouble where Trump is concerned.

Why do you read an article that says:

US President Donald Trump said on Wednesday (Jan 2) the United States would get out of Syria "over a period of time" and wants to protect the US-backed Kurdish fighters in the country as Washington draws down troops.

... and think that he's "reevaluating" pulling out?

The article itself literally says "as Washington draws down troops."

This whole thread started in January.  Over Trump's desire to get out of Syria.  The most  consistent element of this thread is Trump wanting to withdraw from Syria ... even in the article quoted here. 

Unfortunately, the second most consistent element of this thread has been the Democrats' desire to stay in Syria and to fight Russia for Syria.

Queshank

Do these Democrats have Trump's ear?

What about Graham and the Republicans who've supported and maintain the ever-war? I watched his post WH meeting Q&A a day or so back (Source).

I'm with you on the Dems resisting Trump on everything, even when they should support him, but this is all GOP. Lindsay probably told Trump his withdrawal was very Obama like and his base wants more dead terrists.

I think he genuinely wants out, so I'm holding out hope his base can live with a withdrawal.

If you are more fortunate than others, build a longer table, not a taller fence.

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #148 - Jan 2nd, 2019 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
Mojo-Jojo wrote on Jan 2nd, 2019 at 7:02pm:
Do these Democrats have Trump's ear?

What about Graham and the Republicans who've supported and maintain the ever-war? I watched his post WH meeting Q&A a day or so back (Source).

I'm with you on the Dems resisting Trump on everything, even when they should support him, but this is all GOP. Lindsay probably told Trump his withdrawal was very Obama like and his base wants more dead terrists.

I think he genuinely wants out, so I'm holding out hope his base can live with a withdrawal.

"What about Graham and the Republicans who've supported and maintain the ever-war?"

They're Republicans.  Why should I care?  Why should it even be worthy of remark that a Republican is doin Republican things? 

Mojo, the reason I'm so hard on the left is I don't give a flying crappity smack about the Republicans or conservatives or ... /shudder ... the creepy religious people that still walk among us.

I'm more concerned about the only people in America who have paid lip service to opposing "ever-war" until they get in power and launch their own "ever-wars."

Mojo.  Where is my home in a two party system of government when both parties want war?  Where's yours? 

Queshank

IP Logged

Mojo-Jojo
LNF Representative2

The hobo fohmally known
as Jojo is no mo'.

Reply #149 - Jan 2nd, 2019 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
Queshank wrote on Jan 2nd, 2019 at 7:41pm:
"What about Graham and the Republicans who've supported and maintain the ever-war?"

They're Republicans.  Why should I care?  Why should it even be worthy of remark that a Republican is doin Republican things? 

Mojo, the reason I'm so hard on the left is I don't give a flying crappity smack about the Republicans or conservatives or ... /shudder ... the creepy religious people that still walk among us.

I'm more concerned about the only people in America who have paid lip service to opposing "ever-war" until they get in power and launch their own "ever-wars."

Mojo.  Where is my home in a two party system of government when both parties want war?  Where's yours? 

Queshank

Understood and thanks for the post.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Tillerson: US Troops Will Stay in Syria

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules