Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereReligion Forum › Question about the Bible.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Question about the Bible. (Read 2,989 times)
Seawolf
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Re: Question about the Bible.
Reply #90 - Feb 23rd, 2018 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
Running Deer wrote on Feb 23rd, 2018 at 7:57pm:
True but not the argument.  You said that the Jews put Jesus to death for claiming to be God.  I contradicted that by pointing out that St. John said the Jews wanted to put him to death to avoid Roman wrath.  Whether or not Jesus is the Christ is irrelevant to the question of why the Jews wanted to put Jesus to death.

It is hard to follow other people's arguments and see things from their perspective.  What never ceases to astound me about you is that you can't follow the arguments that you yourself are trying to make.  Part of the immense frustration of arguing with you is having to reconstruct the points that you yourself made in the previous post while you flitter off in some other direction.

I assumed you understood my intent, next time I will not assume that.  Too many of these conversations you and I have, are not on the same level.  I tend to forget you are not a student of scripture.  You know just enough to kind of argue or nitpick but you are not at the level I am.

"Without morals a republic cannot subsist any length of time; they therefore who are decrying the Christian religion, whose morality is so sublime and pure (and) which insures to the good eternal happiness, are undermining the solid foundation of morals, the best security for the duration of free governments."

Charles Carroll, signer of the DOI

IP Logged

Seawolf
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker

Reply #91 - Feb 23rd, 2018 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
EF wrote on Feb 23rd, 2018 at 9:00pm:
The Romans, not the Jews, crucified Jesus.  Only Romans could do that, legally, and I guess vigilante justice was beneath the Jews. 

Best I recall, Pontius Pilate wanted nothing to do with it.  But finally relented to avoid what he believed might be a riot of rowdy Jews demanding it.  The home office (Rome) did not like it when one of the provincial governors could not control his area.

This is the first I have ever heard the statement you made, highlighted above.  And with all due respect, it doesn't really make sense.  The Jews wanted Jesus crucified to avoid Roman wrath?

Modified to add:

I went back and searched your posts.  I found your statement.  I think you have over inferred where little implication was made.

The Jewish leaders did fear that Jesus's claims would lead the people to rebel against Roman rule, and that the Romans would react accordingly.  But their main reason was that Jesus was upsetting the status quo by claiming to be the very Son of God and being somewhat of a flaming liberal (by their current standards) in elevating the place of women, children, lepers, tax collectors, and other assorted "vermin."  The powers that be  almost always want to keep the status quo.

Excellent catch, I even highlighted his mistake and missed it, and spot on description of what Pontias Pilot was trying to avoid, a riot for not crucifying Jesus.  RR, Pilate gave the Jews a choice, crucify Barnabas or Jesus.  He figured the Jews would never ask to let a killer go, but the Jews wanted Jesus killed for blasphemy.
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2018 at 10:33pm by Seawolf »  

"Without morals a republic cannot subsist any length of time; they therefore who are decrying the Christian religion, whose morality is so sublime and pure (and) which insures to the good eternal happiness, are undermining the solid foundation of morals, the best security for the duration of free governments."

IP Logged

BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #92 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 6:19am
Print Post  
Seawolf wrote on Feb 23rd, 2018 at 10:23pm:
Excellent catch, I even highlighted his mistake and missed it, and spot on description of what Pontias Pilot was trying to avoid, a riot for not crucifying Jesus.  RR, Pilate gave the Jews a choice, crucify Barnabas or Jesus.  He figured the Jews would never ask to let a killer go, but the Jews wanted Jesus killed for blasphemy.

It's "Barabbas"... You think you're a bible scholar and you can't even spell or even pronounce the names of the characters.  Roll Eyes

When Q hears gallop noises he doesn't think zebras; he thinks there's a Democrat behind a curtain, making gallop noises.

IP Logged

Seawolf
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker

Reply #93 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 7:26am
Print Post  
BowHunter wrote on Feb 24th, 2018 at 6:19am:
It's "Barabbas"... You think you're a bible scholar and you can't even spell or even pronounce the names of the characters.  Roll Eyes

Ahh, I forgot our resident Frenchman is also an English scholar.   Grin. It was late last nite and just too lazy to correct it but thank you for pointing it out.  You got the gist of my point.  If you had taken the time I probably spelled Pilot's name wrong too.   Wink

IP Logged

atreyu
LNF Staffer1

Reply #94 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 7:54am
Print Post  
The crucifixion doesn't even pass a common sense smell test.  They crucified a guy that would do miracles in which they knew he could wipe all of them out any time he wanted.

Right.....

Shortly after that the dead rose from their graves, seems like an amazing event, that no one else even bothered to write about. 

IP Logged

Seawolf
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker

Reply #95 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 8:35am
Print Post  
atreyu wrote on Feb 24th, 2018 at 7:54am:
The crucifixion doesn't even pass a common sense smell test.  They crucified a guy that would do miracles in which they knew he could wipe all of them out any time he wanted.

Right.....

Shortly after that the dead rose from their graves, seems like an amazing event, that no one else even bothered to write about. 

Curious, why are you even here posting if you do not believe the crucifixion took place?  Unfortunately for you most historians do not deny this event.  By historians I mean those that were within 100 years of the event.

IP Logged

EF
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #96 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 9:03am
Print Post  
Seawolf wrote on Feb 24th, 2018 at 8:35am:
Curious, why are you even here posting if you do not believe the crucifixion took place?  Unfortunately for you most historians do not deny this event.  By historians I mean those that were within 100 years of the event.

It would appear that we now have at least TWO "evangelical atheists."  I'm cool with that.  I'll interact with them when I feel led and leave them alone when I don't.  Except for his evangelical atheistic fervor, Bow and I agree on a lot more than we disagree on.  I guess that's why the old adage about not discussing politics and religion with people you want to remain friendly with is so true.  But that's the good thing about the anonymity of these message boards.  You never have to fool with anybody unless you want to and there are no commitments.

non sumus stulti
but
accidit stercore

IP Logged

atreyu
LNF Staffer1

Reply #97 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 11:30am
Print Post  
Seawolf wrote on Feb 24th, 2018 at 8:35am:

I'm not denying a crucifixion took place, they were common in the time period.   It's one of the things the christian bible may be accurate on, but not the supernatural events leading up to and after it.   A guy getting crucified does not a god make.

You only trust historians when they agree with your viewpoint.  I doubt you agree with them when they say that the rest is not very historically reliable.

IP Logged

Seawolf
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker

Reply #98 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 11:42am
Print Post  
atreyu wrote on Feb 24th, 2018 at 11:30am:
I'm not denying a crucifixion took place, they were common in the time period.   It's one of the things the christian bible may be accurate on, but not the supernatural events leading up to and after it.   A guy getting crucified does not a god make.

You only trust historians when they agree with your viewpoint.  I doubt you agree with them when they say that the rest is not very historically reliable.

Again, not my task to convince you.  I do not believe the fallacy we accidentally happened.  Makes no logical sense that the creation we see is so balanced and yet nature accidentally got this all right.

IP Logged

atreyu
LNF Staffer1

Reply #99 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
Seawolf wrote on Feb 24th, 2018 at 11:42am:
Again, not my task to convince you.  I do not believe the fallacy we accidentally happened.  Makes no logical sense that the creation we see is so balanced and yet nature accidentally got this all right.

.....and /facepalm back to creating an argument that no one made.  I guess that's one way to win an argument, though it borders on insanity.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereReligion Forum › Question about the Bible.

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules