Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › American military power
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) American military power (Read 649 times)
Limey.
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Re: American military power
Reply #50 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
Poor Wallys Almanac wrote on Feb 11th, 2018 at 2:07pm:
As our know, we struggle with our domestic politics, too.  Both of our nations are strong enough to survive the ebb and wane of both the conservative and the liberal tug of 'war'.

I happen to subscribe to the belief in Peace through Strength, as did Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher.  Each of our nations have strong political forces who are much more of the opinions that appeasement and disengagement, somehow will make the world a safer place and is in each of our nation's best strategic interests.

When you through in globalization and open borders and immigration into the mix, other nation's ideas of what is in the best interests of Britain and the best interests of the USA, seem to carry far more weight than the options of of own citizens (or so it sometimes seems). Cheers!  Smiley

Margaret Thatcher cut our forces, and tried to give British overseas territories (& their population) to fascist dictatorships.

"Peace through Strength" for her meant hiding behind America.

Sad but true.

Under Capitalism, Man exploits Man.

Under Communism, it's the exact opposite.

IP Logged

Poor Wallys Almanac
Hardhat
Conservative Caucus

Cunning... is but the
low mimic of wisdom ~Plato

Reply #51 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
Limey. wrote on Feb 11th, 2018 at 2:24pm:
Margaret Thatcher cut our forces, and tried to give British overseas territories (& their population) to fascist dictatorships.

"Peace through Strength" for her meant hiding behind America.

Sad but true.

I am sorry to hear that.  From a Conservative on this side of the pond, I admired a whole lot about here strong Leadership.  I recall here telling George Herbert Walker Bush, "Don't go wobbly legged on me now George" when together our coalition of the willing ejected Saddam Hussain out of Kuwait.  She was the Iron Lady and she was right on the mark with her read on George Bush, Sr.'s greatest flaw.  Desert Storm was the last "good war", in my humble opinion...and Thanks!  Wink

" The few will always act like the few.

Machiavelli

WWWAIM  
IP Logged

Harrys Sockpuppet4335
LNF House Leader
LNF Bunker

I'm tribal

Reply #52 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
Internet President Bama Beau wrote on Feb 11th, 2018 at 1:58pm:

Britain will be fine alright. They will probably remain in the EU,
and if we are lucky, give us more people like Christopher Steele.

You're right. The Brits are a bit uptight, and can use more fiction in their literary diet.

2017 LNF Jerk of the Year

IP Logged

Limey.
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #53 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
Poor Wallys Almanac wrote on Feb 11th, 2018 at 2:30pm:
I am sorry to hear that.  From a Conservative on this side of the pond, I admired a whole lot about here strong Leadership.  I recall here telling George Herbert Walker Bush, "Don't go wobbly legged on me now George" when together our coalition of the willing ejected Saddam Hussain out of Kuwait.  She was the Iron Lady and she was right on the mark with her read on George Bush, Sr.'s greatest flaw.  Desert Storm was the last "good war", in my humble opinion...and ThanksWink

Well I only played a minor part but you're welcome.

Under Capitalism, Man exploits Man.

Under Communism, it's the exact opposite.

IP Logged

Demos
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Hook 'Em

Reply #54 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 2:13pm
Print Post  

Queshank wrote on Feb 10th, 2018 at 10:42am:
And that is exactly what the quote I shared from Machiavelli is describing.

Except Machiavelli is writing about establishing a new order when a prince takes over a state. But Trump hasn't introduced new forms of government or changed it significantly in any way. Look at the budget that was just passed, which he signed. It increased spending and expanded deficits (Source). And the fights we're having aren't substantively new as far as policy goes (it's just who's defending what that's shifted).

Quote:
You can win a debate to win the contest.  Or you can do like Bush did in 2003.  Simply "persuade" the nation to go along with it with a goal manufactured and designed to maximize the potential for generating the necessary support.

Quote:
Have we ever in our country's history had a debate about going to war?

It's been a long time. Part of the reason we haven't had that debate in a long time is because Congress has ceded so much of its war making powers to the executive. They also don't want to take a vote that will make them accountable.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › American military power

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules