Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › New policy change in Baltimore could make police officers financially responsible
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) New policy change in Baltimore could make police officers financially responsible (Read 735 times)
crepe05
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Re: New policy change in Baltimore could make police officers financially responsible
Reply #60 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 6:07am
Print Post  
walkstall wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 12:56am:
Good officers are having no problems coming West getting jobs and getting more pay.  They are coming West so they do not have to put up with back East BS!!

Those are the smart ones.  Hopefully, they will stop at the eastern edge of California, though.  Entering that crazy state would be worse than Baltimore.

IMO, Baltimore's idea for the police and holding them financially responsible for liability in lawsuits is extremely dangerous for the citizens and for the police.  To accomplish this, the state would need to raise the pay of the officers quite a bit.  Remember, these men and women are state govt employees and are not the best paid people in the nation.  They have families whom they support financially.  How many of us want to live on their salary and at the same time perform one of the most dangerous jobs in the nation? 

The police officers who are rotten apples, so to speak, are the vast minority in our police departments.  Fire them like an employer would fire any employee who wasn't doing his job correctly.  Put them on trial if there is suspision of them comitting a crime.  If you must, sue them, but don't make a special law for them so that they and their family can be financially ruined for whatever reason.

From my own personal opinion, as I read through all of the previous posts and saw the talk of respect for life, I wonder how many of those who respect life also believe in abortion, which I consider the taking of anoher's life.  Life itself is filled with a lot turns, both left and right, that are intertwined more than we realize at times.  This situation is one of those twists.

IP Logged

Wally-Anon
Hardhat
Conservative Caucus

Cunning... is but the
low mimic of wisdom ~Plato

Re: New policy change in Baltimore could make police officers financially responsible
Reply #61 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 6:41am
Print Post  
crepe05 wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 6:07am:
Those are the smart ones.  Hopefully, they will stop at the eastern edge of California, though.  Entering that crazy state would be worse than Baltimore.

IMO, Baltimore's idea for the police and holding them financially responsible for liability in lawsuits is extremely dangerous for the citizens and for the police.  To accomplish this, the state would need to raise the pay of the officers quite a bit.  Remember, these men and women are state govt employees and are not the best paid people in the nation.  They have families whom they support financially.  How many of us want to live on their salary and at the same time perform one of the most dangerous jobs in the nation? 

The police officers who are rotten apples, so to speak, are the vast minority in our police departments.  Fire them like an employer would fire any employee who wasn't doing his job correctly.  Put them on trial if there is suspision of them comitting a crime.  If you must, sue them, but don't make a special law for them so that they and their family can be financially ruined for whatever reason.

From my own personal opinion, as I read through all of the previous posts and saw the talk of respect for life, I wonder how many of those who respect life also believe in abortion, which I consider the taking of anoher's life.  Life itself is filled with a lot turns, both left and right, that are intertwined more than we realize at times.  This situation is one of those twists.

New York State is recognized as having the highest standard for recruitment, training and retention among all our our states.  I ended my career in an administrative capacity with the rank of Captain.  I had the opportunity of occasionally traveling to other states for DOJ train the trainer seminars. I am proud to say that many of the western and southern states looked to New York for best practices so they could better handle the same problems we all have to deal with.  Having said this, I had offers to relocate and I know some who did.  However, just as my country is not beyond hope and is worth fighting for, so is my state.   I have lived in the south and have family there and travel there often.  I like the climate there far more than the one here (I am referring to both the weather and the politics).  I can't change the weather, but together with others, We can change the political climate of New York.  The same is true with the United States of America, together we can and will change the political climate of our country and make America Great Again and this includes a respect for the sanctity of the lives children who are yet to be born.  Wink  (our military can't all retreat to a cozy state side duty station, some have to be engaged with the enemy, right on the front lines, it's the same with Conservatives who chose to live in their home states even though they are Blue. (by the way, NYS, arguably, is Blue because of the scores of colleges and universities spread among our cities and towns throughout the state; it's a blessing and a curse!)

" The few will always act like the few.

Machiavelli

WWWAIM  
IP Logged

TowardLiberty
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

anti-state, anti-war and
pro-market

Reply #62 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
Harrys Sockpuppet4335 wrote on Feb 11th, 2018 at 5:02pm:
I'm not gonna play the parsing game.

A government entity imposing a required insurance policy on an employee is unconstitutional, just as Obamacare is.

Well civil asset forfeiture and the war on drugs are also unconstitutional. But we have them anyway. Quote:
Risk is the basis for insurance. The higher the risk, the higher the cost of the insurance. Young and bad drivers pay extremely high premiums to drive because of the risk. The same risk assessment would apply to new hires for a police department. The young and inexperienced would pay rates for that insurance, even if you could find an insurance company that would underwrite the risk to start, that their entire salary and probably more would be required as a premium for the coverage.

The same sort of liability applies to new drivers yet their premiums are not that high. Typically its only around 100 a month.

Insurance companies would be looking at personality profiles and making risk assessments. As the officer spends some time on the beat the insurance company would acquire more information about the risk associated with this particular officer and tailor the premium accordingly.

Quote:
If you were asked how much you would charge to indemnify a young guy with no experience who carried a weapon and worked in an environment filled with stressful events and the criminal element, were told that his job was to control that criminal environment and make split second decisions in order to control that criminal environment with limited training, and that he was allowed to use his weapon at his young age and with his limited experience while performing his duty of controlling that criminal, unpredictable environment, what would your answer be?

Before answering that I would need a break down of the costs (in terms of fines and so on) that I was liable for and then I would need to hire an actuary to calculate my risk. Then I would hire a financial team to calculate the return I could expect from a given portfolio of investment. At that point it would be a simple calculation to come up with an answer to your question.

My guess is somewhere around 150- 200 a month per officer. Of course I wouldn't insure just anybody.

Certain psychological profiles would be excluded a priori.

Open Trade, Open Borders, Taco Trucks on Every Corner

IP Logged

walkstall
Hardhat
Conservative Caucus
LNF Bunker

WYSIWYG

Reply #63 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
TowardLiberty wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 3:12pm:
Well civil asset forfeiture and the war on drugs are also unconstitutional. But we have them anyway.

The same sort of liability applies to new drivers yet their premiums are not that high. Typically its only around 100 a month.

Insurance companies would be looking at personality profiles and making risk assessments. As the officer spends some time on the beat the insurance company would acquire more information about the risk associated with this particular officer and tailor the premium accordingly.

Before answering that I would need a break down of the costs (in terms of fines and so on) that I was liable for and then I would need to hire an actuary to calculate my risk. Then I would hire a financial team to calculate the return I could expect from a given portfolio of investment. At that point it would be a simple calculation to come up with an answer to your question.

My guess is somewhere around 150- 200 a month per officer. Of course I wouldn't insure just anybody.

Certain psychological profiles would be excluded a priori.

LOL  How much do you think a doctor pays a year, and does not pack a gun.   

Quote:
Doctors must pay up to $200,000 per year in insurance, depending on their specialty. Doctors are forced to pass these costs to patients, which explains in large part the cost increases. A number of doctors have even gone on strike around the country to protest the rising malpractice insurance costs.

IP Logged

USyeah
LNF House Leader

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #64 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 12:02am
Print Post  

how much does a Dr. make compared to a cop?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › New policy change in Baltimore could make police officers financially responsible

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules