Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › The Steel Man
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic The Steel Man (Read 152 times)
TowardLiberty
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

anti-state, anti-war and
pro-market

The Steel Man
Feb 13th, 2018 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
A straw man argument involves weakening your opponents point in such a manner as to make it easier to defeat. We have all experienced this at one time or another.

The steel man argument is the exact opposite of the straw man argument. It involves improving your opponents point in such a way as to make it harder to defeat (and then defeating it).

This may seem counter intuitive because it adds to the challenge we face in debate. But the point is to learn from these exchanges and we are not going to do that if we engage in "straw man fallacy" forms of debate. For few will spend time pondering something that is obviously wrong.

And the more we lump people we disagree with into the category of "obviously wrong" the more we cut ourselves off from understanding the world in new ways.

Ultimately, you gain by improving your opponent's arguments. For how well do you truly understand something if you can only defend the idea against the lamest of attacks?

When we truly have faith in something and in our selves we will want to defend our ideas against the strongest attacks, not the weakest.
« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2018 at 10:58pm by TowardLiberty »  

2017 ECONOMIST OF THE YEAR, SHOOTERMAN POSTER OF THE YEAR & LNF ALL-STAR TEAM MEMBER

IP Logged

Jasmine
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker
Conservative Caucus

God Bless America!

Re: The Steel Man
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
You always have such interesting perspectives, TL. I've never heard anyone talk about strengthening a debate opponent's argument before.

Just speaking for myself, though, I have no interest or desire to "defeat" anyone when it comes to political discussion.

Mar 13th, 2018 at 11:23am: "I think a #16 seed will upset a #1 seed in the NCAA Tournament."

IP Logged

Luther
LNF House Leader

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #2 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 5:06am
Print Post  

All throughout our American history, world history, "ordinary people can do extraordinary things"

un·known quan·ti·ty
noun
a person or thing whose nature, value, or significance cannot be determined or is not yet known.

IP Logged

TowardLiberty
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

anti-state, anti-war and
pro-market

Reply #3 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
Jasmine wrote on Feb 13th, 2018 at 9:47pm:
You always have such interesting perspectives, TL. I've never heard anyone talk about strengthening a debate opponent's argument before.

Thanks Jaz. This idea is new to me as well so I thought I would share it.

Quote:
Just speaking for myself, though, I have no interest or desire to "defeat" anyone when it comes to political discussion.

Not even a little bit?

Don't you want to be able to give valid and logical reasons why your view is the correct one?

2017 ECONOMIST OF THE YEAR, SHOOTERMAN POSTER OF THE YEAR & LNF ALL-STAR TEAM MEMBER

IP Logged

Jasmine
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker
Conservative Caucus

God Bless America!

Reply #4 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
TowardLiberty wrote on Feb 14th, 2018 at 1:53pm:
Not even a little bit?

Don't you want to be able to give valid and logical reasons why your view is the correct one?

Not really. I like to share my opinions and (of course) explain my reasons for them. If I get caught up in a "debate," that's fine, but I don't really care about winning it. I figure that my opinions are just that: opinions. I would be horrible if I were on a debate team.

Mar 13th, 2018 at 11:23am: "I think a #16 seed will upset a #1 seed in the NCAA Tournament."

IP Logged

Rabbit_Reborn
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

2015 Poster of the Year.
Election stolen 2016.

Reply #5 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
TowardLiberty wrote on Feb 13th, 2018 at 9:06pm:
A straw man argument involves weakening your opponents point in such a manner as to make it easier to defeat. We have all experienced this at one time or another.

The steel man argument is the exact opposite of the straw man argument. It involves improving your opponents point in such a way as to make it harder to defeat (and then defeating it).

This may seem counter intuitive because it adds to the challenge we face in debate. But the point is to learn from these exchanges and we are not going to do that if we engage in "straw man fallacy" forms of debate. For few will spend time pondering something that is obviously wrong.

And the more we lump people we disagree with into the category of "obviously wrong" the more we cut ourselves off from understanding the world in new ways.

Ultimately, you gain by improving your opponent's arguments. For how well do you truly understand something if you can only defend the idea against the lamest of attacks?

When we truly have faith in something and in our selves we will want to defend our ideas against the strongest attacks, not the weakest.

So what you're saying is that women are less capable than men?

If the electorate is corrupted dangerously by facebook accounts and fake news then democracy is an unfit form of government in this new, modern world.

IP Logged

BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #6 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
TowardLiberty wrote on Feb 13th, 2018 at 9:06pm:

Actually, there's a well-known method when you have to write either an opening statement or a closing argument in a trial to first write it as if you were the opposite counsel. In fact, a little back and forth is even better as you get new ideas each time you switch sides.

When Q hears gallop noises he doesn't think zebras; he thinks there's a Democrat behind a curtain, making gallop noises.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › The Steel Man

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules