Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Do you Support Trade War Trump?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Do you Support Trade War Trump? (Read 1,932 times)
JohnnyBgood
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Im guilty of Locker room
talk too

Re: Do you Support Trade War Trump?
Reply #60 - Mar 6th, 2018 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
No, Europe should not receive the rule.

Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek

IP Logged

forgotten centrist
LNF Speaker

bring back the middle
class!

Reply #61 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 1:25am
Print Post  
Steel tariffs backfired when Bush implemented them years ago, and they will backfire now.  There are something like 50k US workers in the domestic steel industry, and something in the millions of US workers who work with steel products in their jobs.

Also, I read about some study which determined that the net effect of foreign competition is smaller by an order of magnitude than the net effect of automation -- on jobs.

And where did the aluminum tariff come from?  Aluminum is made where electricity is cheap, like Iceland.  By raising the cost of aluminum as a factory-input, Trump is encouraging factories that use lots of aluminum to relocate to Iceland to avoid the tariff.

This will suck out whatever hot air the Trump tax cuts blew into the stock market...

2017 dream team (junior member)
and now as friendly as Jasmine!

IP Logged

Rabbit_Reborn
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

2015 Poster of the Year.
Election stolen 2016.

Reply #62 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 9:39am
Print Post  
Possibly Logical wrote on Mar 2nd, 2018 at 7:58am:
I am curious about conservatives' thoughts on Trump's liberal economic policy. Does anyone here think the tariffs on steel are a good idea?

(Personally, I think this is the biggest mistake of Trump's presidency.)

Edited title

Of course I am against it.

But make no mistake, there are millions of people who support it.

Many of them are not on Twitter or even sites like LNF. But they are legion.

Do not underestimate Trump's decisions. They are all geared towards potential re-election. This is for the Rust Belt, which decided his current term, and could do so again.

Wadsworth wrote on Jun 11th, 2018 at 3:40pm:
You are awfully concerned about who gets to live.  Why is it so important to you?

IP Logged

Demos
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Hook 'Em

Reply #63 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 11:47am
Print Post  

Quote:
@PatrickSvitek

[Ted] Cruz this a.m. voiced disagreement w/ Trump on tariffs but noted he "made an off-the-cuff comment & the details will matter a lot more."
- Are you saying he changes his mind?
- Cruz, after a brief chuckle: "I think the president has shown wide flexibility on many policy issues."

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/971423043632488448

Lulz.

IP Logged

wyattstorch2004
LNF Speaker

GO CUBS

Reply #64 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
forgotten centrist wrote on Mar 7th, 2018 at 1:25am:
Steel tariffs backfired when Bush implemented them years ago, and they will backfire now.  There are something like 50k US workers in the domestic steel industry, and something in the millions of US workers who work with steel products in their jobs.

Also, I read about some study which determined that the net effect of foreign competition is smaller by an order of magnitude than the net effect of automation -- on jobs.

And where did the aluminum tariff come from?  Aluminum is made where electricity is cheap, like Iceland.  By raising the cost of aluminum as a factory-input, Trump is encouraging factories that use lots of aluminum to relocate to Iceland to avoid the tariff.

This will suck out whatever hot air the Trump tax cuts blew into the stock market...

Yes, Trump of all people should understand that taxes on producers will drive them to other countries or drive them out of business...

IP Logged

Demos
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Hook 'Em

Reply #65 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 4:43pm
Print Post  

Quote:
Donald Trump signs off on sweeping tariffs, defying trade war warnings

As he signed off on contentious trade tariffs, Trump declared the American steel and aluminium industries had been “ravaged by aggressive foreign trade practices”.

“It’s really an assault on our country,” he continued. “I’ve been talking about this a long time, a lot longer than my political career.”

Canada and Mexico are exempted from the tariffs, which will come into effect in 15 days, the White House said...

Trump said he would be flexible toward “real friends,” touting an exemption for Canada and Mexico...

Trump added Australia to a list of likely carve-outs, and indicated that other trade and military allies could be exempted.

“We have a very close relationship with Australia,” he said. “We have a trade surplus with Australia, great country, long term partner, we’ll be doing something with them”...

As Trump approved the tariffs, 11 partners in the Asia-Pacific were in Santiago, Chile, to sign a multilateral trade deal embraced by president Barack Obama but rejected by Trump...

Source

Canada and Mexico already exempted, and more exemptions likely. Seems possible that by the time these tariffs are put in place they'll be falling on very few nations. But that'll get buried over the next 15 days of news and Trump got to look tough on trade for the nostalgic voters.

IP Logged

USyeah
LNF House Leader

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #66 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 9:35pm
Print Post  

it's a bargaining chip in NAFTA talks.

IP Logged

Demos
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Hook 'Em

Reply #67 - Mar 12th, 2018 at 12:21pm
Print Post  

USyeah wrote on Mar 8th, 2018 at 9:35pm:
it's a bargaining chip in NAFTA talks.

Canada and Mexico already exempted from the tariffs with no apparent concessions in exchange. Not much of a chip.

IP Logged

USyeah
LNF House Leader

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #68 - Mar 12th, 2018 at 9:29pm
Print Post  

yes & if negotiations go no where, or get bogged down,
T can add them to the tariff list. 
as I said a bargaining chip, you haven't negotiated much have you   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Demos
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Hook 'Em

Reply #69 - Mar 12th, 2018 at 10:34pm
Print Post  

USyeah wrote on Mar 12th, 2018 at 9:29pm:
yes & if negotiations go no where, or get bogged down,
T can add them to the tariff list. 
as I said a bargaining chip, you haven't negotiated much have you   Roll Eyes

Maybe you haven't noticed, but the trend here is removing countries that the tariffs apply to due to the backlash. They're not likely to go back on, particularly as Congress seems to be ready to act on this issue.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Do you Support Trade War Trump?

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules