Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Promises Kept: Donald Trump Signs Steel and Aluminum Tariffs to Protect Workers
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Promises Kept: Donald Trump Signs Steel and Aluminum Tariffs to Protect Workers (Read 422 times)
stu_gatze
LNF Speaker

Conservatism today, tommorow..&
forever!

Promises Kept: Donald Trump Signs Steel and Aluminum Tariffs to Protect Workers
Mar 9th, 2018 at 8:36am
Print Post  

By: Charlie Spiering
8 Mar 2018

President Donald Trump signed his official establishment of tariffs on aluminum and steel on Thursday in a dramatic ceremony in the Oval Office.

The tariffs were exactly as he proposed them last week — 25 percent on steel, ten percent on aluminum.

Trump said that the tariffs were important to sign, citing the industry communities that were devastated by bad trade deals and failed promises from failed politicians.

Our factories were left to rot and to rust all over the place,” Trump said. “Thriving communities were turned into ghost towns.”

During his remarks, Trump explained how fundamental the tough actions on trade and tariffs were to his presidency and the core his personal beliefs.

Those who poured their souls into building this great nation were betrayed. But that betrayal is now over,” he said. “I’m delivering on a promise I made during the campaign and I’ve been making it for a good part of my life.”

Trump indicated that steel production was essential to national security, pointing out that the national capacity for both steel and aluminum had diminished.

“Steel is steel,” he said. “You don’t have steel you don’t have a country.”

MORE>http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2018/03/08/promises-kept-donald-trump-si...

"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
                David Horowitz

IP Logged

Rabbit_Reborn
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

2015 Poster of the Year.
Election stolen 2016.

Re: Promises Kept: Donald Trump Signs Steel and Aluminum Tariffs to Protect Workers
Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 8:42am
Print Post  
stu_gatze wrote on Mar 9th, 2018 at 8:36am:

http://media.breitbart.com/media/2018/03/Trump-Signs-Tarrifs-Mandel-NganAFPGetty...

By: Charlie Spiering
8 Mar 2018

President Donald Trump signed his official establishment of tariffs on aluminum and steel on Thursday in a dramatic ceremony in the Oval Office.

The tariffs were exactly as he proposed them last week — 25 percent on steel, ten percent on aluminum.

Trump said that the tariffs were important to sign, citing the industry communities that were devastated by bad trade deals and failed promises from failed politicians.

Our factories were left to rot and to rust all over the place,” Trump said. “Thriving communities were turned into ghost towns.”

During his remarks, Trump explained how fundamental the tough actions on trade and tariffs were to his presidency and the core his personal beliefs.

Those who poured their souls into building this great nation were betrayed. But that betrayal is now over,” he said. “I’m delivering on a promise I made during the campaign and I’ve been making it for a good part of my life.”

Trump indicated that steel production was essential to national security, pointing out that the national capacity for both steel and aluminum had diminished.

“Steel is steel,” he said. “You don’t have steel you don’t have a country.”

MORE>http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2018/03/08/promises-kept-donald-trump-si...

Trump is different in that he does seem to be following through with quite a bit of what he said he would. In a vacuum, I suppose that's commendable.

He's wrong from an economic perspective, obviously. But he's right from a political perspective, as there are indeed large numbers of people who believe that protectionist policies are beneficial.

They are not, of course.

I mean, they might be in the short term for a segment of the population. But in the long term (or even the medium term?) they are simply terrible.

Wadsworth wrote on Jun 11th, 2018 at 3:40pm:
You are awfully concerned about who gets to live.  Why is it so important to you?

IP Logged

Limey.
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Re: Promises Kept: Donald Trump Signs Steel and Aluminum Tariffs to Protect Workers
Reply #2 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 9:26am
Print Post  
Rabbit_Reborn wrote on Mar 9th, 2018 at 8:42am:
Trump is different in that he does seem to be following through with quite a bit of what he said he would. In a vacuum, I suppose that's commendable.

He's wrong from an economic perspective, obviously. But he's right from a political perspective, as there are indeed large numbers of people who believe that protectionist policies are beneficial.

They are not, of course.

I mean, they might be in the short term for a segment of the population. But in the long term (or even the medium term?) they are simply terrible.

Indeed.

It’s all part of the problem with democracy; idiots vote for idiotic stuff.

I suppose it’s personal responsibility on a national scale.

Under Capitalism, Man exploits Man.

Under Communism, it's the exact opposite.

IP Logged

moneymakes
LNF Intern10

blocked and spat out

Reply #3 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 10:18am
Print Post  
Sorry folks,
these traiffs are a subsidy for the Aluminum and Steel industry paid for by the consumer and by all industries that are using tools of any kind. In the case of Brazil the US COAL industrie is gonna suffer!  Check it out

IP Logged

Willys Wonka - Ex-Member
LNF Party Leader

Part time God

Reply #4 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 10:46am
Print Post  
Limey. wrote on Mar 9th, 2018 at 9:26am:
Indeed.

It’s all part of the problem with democracy; idiots vote for idiotic stuff.

I suppose it’s personal responsibility on a national scale.

The Right has been on a campaign to dumb down American's for decades now.. .

We've gone from .. . ..

"There is nothing which can better deserve our patronage than the promotion of science and literature. Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
- George Washington

to Reagan's opening salvo in the Republican War on Education . ..

"Why should we subsidize intellectual curiosity?"
- Ronald McReagan

IP Logged

stu_gatze
LNF Speaker

Conservatism today, tommorow..&
forever!

Reply #5 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 11:39am
Print Post  
Rabbit_Reborn wrote on Mar 9th, 2018 at 8:42am:

They are not, of course.

-------------------------------------------------

No Rabbit, .. at the moment, we CANNOT say that Trump is wrong from an ''economic perspective'', because, we do not know how things will ULTIMATELY work out for the better or for the worse!  Wink

Trump is addressing it, though.

"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
                David Horowitz

IP Logged

Demos
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Hook 'Em

Reply #6 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 11:46am
Print Post  

stu_gatze wrote on Mar 9th, 2018 at 11:39am:
No Rabbit, .. at the moment, we CANNOT say that Trump is wrong from an ''economic perspective'', because, we do not know how things will ULTIMATELY work out for the better or for the worse!

We have plenty of historical evidence of how protectionist policies work out. If you want some recent evidence, look at Bush's 2002 tariffs. Those reportedly lead to more job losses (among steel using industries) than the steel industry employed. There was also a sharp rise in costs for companies using steel.

That's if these tariffs go into full effect. They might not; Canada and Mexico (two of the largest steel importers) are already exempted, and Trump indicated other countries, like Australia, etc., might be exempted as well.

IP Logged

Rabbit_Reborn
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

2015 Poster of the Year.
Election stolen 2016.

Reply #7 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 11:47am
Print Post  

No Rabbit, .. at the moment, we CANNOT say that Trump is wrong from an ''economic perspective'', because, we do not know how things will ULTIMATELY work out for the better or for the worse!  Wink

Trump is addressing it, though.

Yes we do know.

Just like we would know if states started enacting tariffs on goods from other states.

And we would know the results if neighborhoods started enacting tariffs on goods made from outside of their neighborhoods.

Bad.

Wadsworth wrote on Jun 11th, 2018 at 3:40pm:
You are awfully concerned about who gets to live.  Why is it so important to you?

IP Logged

Wadsworth
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #8 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
Rabbit_Reborn wrote on Mar 9th, 2018 at 11:47am:
Yes we do know.

Just like we would know if states started enacting tariffs on goods from other states.

And we would know the results if neighborhoods started enacting tariffs on goods made from outside of their neighborhoods.

Bad.

Also, tarrifs were tried by both Obama and GWB.  Neither worked out so well

Rabbit_Reborn wrote on Oct 18th, 2018 at 1:53pm:
The average person is going to starve and die.

Thus has it always been with humanity, before the advent of the Great Society.

In Order For You To Insult Me, I must First Have To Value Your Opinion

IP Logged

TowardLiberty
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

anti-state, anti-war and
pro-market

Reply #9 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 12:52pm
Print Post  

[size=14]No Rabbit, .. at the moment, we CANNOT say that Trump is wrong from an ''economic perspective''

Yes, we can. If there is one thing economists agree on it is that tariffs redistribute wealth and punish consumers.

Much of the early development in economic science was geared toward showing how free trade was the path to wealth, not protectionism.

There is no debate to be had here. There is no "common good" argument for tariffs. There is only a corporatist, rent seeking argument. There is only a corporate welfare argument.

We know this not only because theory tells us, but historical data confirms it.

Open Trade, Open Borders, Taco Trucks on Every Corner

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Promises Kept: Donald Trump Signs Steel and Aluminum Tariffs to Protect Workers

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules