Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Trump had 34% approval rating the week before he won the presidency.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Trump had 34% approval rating the week before he won the presidency. (Read 679 times)
Queshank
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Re: Trump had 34% approval rating the week before he won the presidency.
Reply #20 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
Wadsworth wrote on Mar 11th, 2018 at 1:28pm:
Sure Roll Eyes

You didn't watch Obama's 2004 keynote speech that had the media and the Democrats all abuzz about this guy being a presidential candidate that LED to the young, inexperienced Obama even stepping up in the first place?

C'mon man.  This should be stuff you were paying attention to.  It's Democratic Propaganda approved.

Queshank

BowHunter wrote on Nov 30th, 2017 at 10:24am:
I am not aware of any article

IP Logged

TowardLiberty
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

anti-state, anti-war and
pro-market

Reply #21 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
Queshank wrote on Mar 11th, 2018 at 1:38pm:
Many of the people making these predictions are the same people who predicted thermonuclear war with North Korea. 

Well that may be true for some of those making these predictions. But you know thats not where I am getting this from.

Its economic theory.

And it is already being borne out in reality as the EU, Canada and China have announced plans to increase tariffs on US exports. Quote:
I'm comfortable with waiting to see. 

I am not because I have no question in my mind what will happen.

Quote:
The AFLCIO is on board the Trump train due to these tariffs. So are the United Steel Workers.  Blue collar Democrats in states like Pennsylvania. 

The perception of reality is just as important as reality TL.  Especially where the economy is concerned.

Queshank

Well thats certainly true but its is not true to the extent it means we can escape the consequences of our actions, or the influence of economic forces.

“We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand
« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2018 at 4:02pm by TowardLiberty »  

2017 ECONOMIST OF THE YEAR, SHOOTERMAN POSTER OF THE YEAR & LNF ALL-STAR TEAM MEMBER

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #22 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
Mojo-Jojo wrote on Mar 11th, 2018 at 1:13pm:
Meh, I'm not too worried.

Just a few states that were quite close last time and Trump loses in 2020. As long as we don't run Hillary, I think Trump's a one-term wonder.

A question for you tho Mojo.

Who the Democrats got?

Like I just pointed out to Wadsworth ... 2004 we had Obama in the wings.  We definitely knew we had Hillary too. 

Who do the Democrats have right now?  Warren who insists she's not running in 2020?  80 year old Bernie? 

I don't know if you've noticed the Democratic Party infighting going on in the primaries in Texas and California ... but there's a lot of pain in the Democratic Party's future that's being ignored while hatred of Trump galvanizes anti Trump sentiment.  But when it comes time to put candidates forward and engage in a traditional campaign ... who?

In 2010 Obama lost 65 seats in the House of Representatives.   Did it lead to him being voted out in 2012?  Weird.  Nope.

Trump isn't going to lose 65 seats.  And to my mind and things I'm looking at there seems like a slim possibility he won't lose the majority.  It's slim, but it's there as a possibility.  But even in a worst case anti Trump tsunami ... he doesn't lose 65 seats.

Much too much is being made of the "Blue Wave" as well.  Especially when if Trump does lose the House ... it works out even better for his re election chances to have Congress as a foil.

Queshank
« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2018 at 2:03pm by Queshank »  

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #23 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
TowardLiberty wrote on Mar 11th, 2018 at 1:46pm:
Well that may be true for some of those making these predictions. But you know thats not where I am getting this from.

Its economic theory.

Yeah but we've been hearing economic theory predict doom and gloom economic meltdowns ever since the Obama recovery began.  At some point you guys gotta come through with something if the American people are going to take notice.  I'm not trying to be an ass there TL, but there's been predictions of complete Econocaust here on the boards from the libertarian wing for about a decade.  At which point is the theory going to start trumping the reality?

And the most important signs of economic strength are consumer confidence ... hit 130.8%in February of 2018.  And small business confidence which is also at historical highs also in February with 59% of small businesses planning expansion.

These are important factors TL.  And I would argue possibly the two most important factors.

Quote:
And it is already being bore out in reality as the EU, Canada and China have announced plans to increase tariffs on US exports.

Yes.  A lot of posturing and maneuvering is being done.

Which country in the world still has the biggest club when it comes to trade?  Which country consumes the most in the world?  Who feels the most pain at losing the world's biggest customers?  Companies do a lot to retain whale sized customers TL.  Those governments will be getting some pushback of their own from their companies and their citizenry.

Quote:
I am not because I have no question in my mind what will happen.

In theory.  GAWD that sounds like I'm being an asshole.  But I'm not trying to be.  I'm simply saying in theory this is what we should all expect to happen.  It's not unheard of for theory to take a few hits now and then.

Quote:
Well thats certainly true but its is not true to the extent it means we can escape the consequences of our actions, or the influence of economic forces.

“We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand

How long can we ignore it tho.  That's the operative element.  Can we ignore it for 2 1/2 years?  Especially if someone goes out of their way to make us ignore it?

Queshank

IP Logged

Wadsworth
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #24 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
Queshank wrote on Mar 11th, 2018 at 1:41pm:
You didn't watch Obama's 2004 keynote speech that had the media and the Democrats all abuzz about this guy being a presidential candidate that LED to the young, inexperienced Obama even stepping up in the first place?

C'mon man.  This should be stuff you were paying attention to.  It's Democratic Propaganda approved.

Queshank

So that convinced you?  One speech?

Jasmine wrote on May 6th, 2018 at 7:43pm:
Yes, I heard about this. Just goes to show McLame’s true loyalties. Hopefully, Trump won’t go to his funeral very, very soon.

TowardLiberty wrote on Mar 29th, 2018 at 8:34pm:
I'll try but it might be beyond my ability. Insulting is "like 90% of what I do here."

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #25 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
Wadsworth wrote on Mar 11th, 2018 at 2:17pm:
So that convinced you?  One speech?

You're missing the point.

That's what made it conceivable and led to Obama throwing his hat in the ring.

I know many people who were convinced by that.  I had family members who kept it on DVR and replayed it.  No shit.

If you didn't notice what a big splash Obama made in 2004 you're new to paying attention to the political scene Wads.  I guess that's always possible.  Better late than never.

Queshank

IP Logged

Wadsworth
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #26 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
Queshank wrote on Mar 11th, 2018 at 2:24pm:
You're missing the point.

That's what made it conceivable and led to Obama throwing his hat in the ring.

I know many people who were convinced by that.  I had family members who kept it on DVR and replayed it.  No shit.

If you didn't notice what a big splash Obama made in 2004 you're new to paying attention to the political scene Wads.  I guess that's always possible.  Better late than never.

Queshank

I think Jasmine is right about you.  You are all over the place.

Jasmine wrote on May 6th, 2018 at 7:43pm:
Yes, I heard about this. Just goes to show McLame’s true loyalties. Hopefully, Trump won’t go to his funeral very, very soon.

TowardLiberty wrote on Mar 29th, 2018 at 8:34pm:
I'll try but it might be beyond my ability. Insulting is "like 90% of what I do here."

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #27 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
Wadsworth wrote on Mar 11th, 2018 at 2:26pm:
I think Jasmine is right about you.  You are all over the place.

There's a lot of ground to cover Wads.  You gotta catch up.

We've been specifically talking about one thing. 

Texas going for a Democratic president. 

You suggested we never envisioned a black president in 2006 either and somehow imagine that's just like imagining a Democrat winning Texas in 2020. 

I pointed out that's not true ... Obama was given the keynote speech in 2004 and had wildly favorable reviews.  It's what led to him throwing his hat into the ring with a funny foreign sounding name and very little experience.  Obviously people were seeing a "possibility."

Your entire theory suggesting a Democrat might win Texas is flawed.

As for myself, I never doubted the power a TV star with the financial clout of Trump could bring to the elections.  You maybe were misled and distracted by late night comedy having a field day with the ridiculousness of it.   That's fine.  A lot of people were.  Nobody remembers Ronald Reagan was a movie star I guess.  (Yes, yes I know he was governor of California too.  How'd he get there?)

I'm not all over the place Wads.  I'm educating you on a perspective you haven't been paying attention to.  This is what education looks like.  You're welcome.  Ya gotta keep up buddy.  I don't do classes for the short bus.

Queshank

IP Logged

TowardLiberty
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

anti-state, anti-war and
pro-market

Reply #28 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
Queshank wrote on Mar 11th, 2018 at 2:03pm:
Yeah but we've been hearing economic theory predict doom and gloom economic meltdowns ever since the Obama recovery began.  At some point you guys gotta come through with something if the American people are going to take notice.  I'm not trying to be an ass there TL, but there's been predictions of complete Econocaust here on the boards from the libertarian wing for about a decade.  At which point is the theory going to start trumping the reality?

I have a different read on it. Perhaps some have been predicting gloom and doom but many others, myself included, have said that we are going to blow a massive bubble in the economy. The theory states that this bubble comes undone when interest rates increase.

The housing bubble in 07 was popped at 5%. Before that the dot com bubble was popped at 6%. Anyone calling for a meltdown at ZIRP levels is premature according to the theory of the business cycle I am familiar with.

So far reality has matched theory pretty well.
Quote:
And the most important signs of economic strength are consumer confidence ... hit 130.8%in February of 2018.  And small business confidence which is also at historical highs also in February with 59% of small businesses planning expansion.

These are important factors TL.  And I would argue possibly the two most important factors.

Sure. People feel good during a bull market. Why wouldn't they?

If the economic cycle is turning then that sentiment can reverse very quickly.

Quote:
Yes.  A lot of posturing and maneuvering is being done.

Which country in the world still has the biggest club when it comes to trade?  Which country consumes the most in the world?  Who feels the most pain at losing the world's biggest customers?  Companies do a lot to retain whale sized customers TL.  Those governments will be getting some pushback of their own from their companies and their citizenry.

No doubt that is all true what concerns me is the fact that some seem to want to portray tariffs as an unambiguous good rather than a short term cost for bringing others to the table. The fact that it is a cost ought to be recognized.

Quote:
In theory.  GAWD that sounds like I'm being an asshole.  But I'm not trying to be.  I'm simply saying in theory this is what we should all expect to happen.  It's not unheard of for theory to take a few hits now and then.

How long can we ignore it tho.  That's the operative element.  Can we ignore it for 2 1/2 years?  Especially if someone goes out of their way to make us ignore it?

Queshank

Oh I have no idea. It very well could go that long or even longer. That said I would put my money on a financial crisis happening before then.

2017 ECONOMIST OF THE YEAR, SHOOTERMAN POSTER OF THE YEAR & LNF ALL-STAR TEAM MEMBER

IP Logged

Phillip 2.0
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #29 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
Queshank wrote on Mar 11th, 2018 at 1:13pm:
Are you guys doubting that Donald Trump had low approval ratings when he was elected and that he has low approval ratings across the country now?

Really?

I mean if you guys want I can share the state by state approval ratings map you can get from simply doing a "donald trump approval by state" search.

And I can point out which states he has 40%+ (as I said, NOT Texas) ... and tell you how many electoral votes each of those states have.

But honestly, if you can't do that and aren't interested enough to do that for yourself you deserve to lose the election anyway.  I've got my Australia backup plan.  I'm fine.

Queshank

Instead of all these words, you could have just posted sources...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Trump had 34% approval rating the week before he won the presidency.

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules