Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › How much damage will tariffs really do?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) How much damage will tariffs really do? (Read 851 times)
Queshank
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Re: How much damage will tariffs really do?
Reply #10 - Mar 12th, 2018 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
Ulysses wrote on Mar 12th, 2018 at 12:37pm:
Don't believe everything you can link on the Internet!

Where did I claim that???

You are confusing Republican racism with Republican corporatism.

A handful of Rust Belt Dems support Trump's tariffs. The Democratic Party in general has resisted tariffs for decades. You are confusing these few with the rest of the party.

And Unions are not necessarily Democratic captives. I recall Richard Nixon being VERY cozy with the Teamsters, for example.

Unlike some here, I don't regard your scribblings or your links as Gospel. I prefer to think for myself.

So your protest here is that the Democrats don't support tariffs?

Regardless of what notables like Dick Gephardt and Elizabeth Warren have to say on the subject?

Your disagreement with my point is limited to unions being Republican not Democratic institutions?

That's really your takeaway?

Do you have anything to say about the actual point of the OP?  Why are tariffs imposed by the EU on our goods okay and just hunky dory ... but a suggestion we'd do the same is a disaster of epic proportions and likely to kick off a global trade war?

Queshank

BowHunter wrote on Nov 30th, 2017 at 10:24am:
I am not aware of any article

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #11 - Mar 12th, 2018 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
Lomelis wrote on Mar 12th, 2018 at 12:35pm:
No, I don't support tariffs by anyone.  But I don't agree that we should respond to tariffs with tariffs.  If those countries want to harm their own people that's on them.

Is the EU being harmed?

Queshank

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #12 - Mar 12th, 2018 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
BTW Ulysses, I am enjoying your insistence that places like Financial Times, the Wall Street Journal, CNBC and CNN Money are "fake news."

Damn Internet amirite?

Queshank

IP Logged

Lomelis
LNF Speaker

Wonderboy

Reply #13 - Mar 12th, 2018 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
Queshank wrote on Mar 12th, 2018 at 12:41pm:
I get it.  You've got valid reasons for thinking tariffs are bad.

For some reason there's people who disagree with you. 

That's the point in starting this thread.

This thread is about the lack of addressing the tariffs the world already slaps on goods.  It's a weakness in your argument Demos.

It's not me you need to convince.  That's what I'm trying to stress here.

Why are tariffs bad for us, but not bad for the EU?  How has the EU managed to avoid catastrophic job loss in their wine and cheese and champagne and food industries?  And more specifically, why haven't those overseas tariffs sparked trade wars?

Queshank

The European economy has been pretty stagnant with very little growth and the election of Trump can be seen as a response to the tariffs and "unfair" economic activities by China and the EU.

In essence they have started a trade war, the last election was a response to the rest of the world about the dumping and tariffs.

Trump was the response from the snowflakes in the rustbelt states that enough is enough.

Ignorant Blessings from Wads:

Wadsworth wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 4:13pm:
Watched it.  A shotgun is for long ranged shooting.  That is why hunters like them.  An AR-15 is not.  That video was misleading.

IP Logged

Lomelis
LNF Speaker

Wonderboy

Reply #14 - Mar 12th, 2018 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
Queshank wrote on Mar 12th, 2018 at 12:43pm:
Is the EU being harmed?

Queshank

Of course.  France, Spain, Italy, you know many of those places protecting their wine and cheese have terrible economies.  Wage growth has stagnated, unemployment is high, and there are serious movements in these countries to leave the EU.  Just like Britain.

Ignorant Blessings from Wads:

Wadsworth wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 4:13pm:
Watched it.  A shotgun is for long ranged shooting.  That is why hunters like them.  An AR-15 is not.  That video was misleading.

IP Logged

Demos
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Hook 'Em

Reply #15 - Mar 12th, 2018 at 1:07pm
Print Post  

Queshank wrote on Mar 12th, 2018 at 12:41pm:
For some reason there's people who disagree with you.

Sure, because they think it's in their interest to implement protectionist tariffs, regardless of any evidence to the contrary. 

Quote:
This thread is about the lack of addressing the tariffs the world already slaps on goods.

We address this through trade agreements, which attempt to reduce barriers to trade, such as the TTIP. It's one of the things that we were dealing with through TPP, which we are now not a part of.

Quote:
Why are tariffs bad for us, but not bad for the EU?

Who says they're not bad for the EU? 

Even the EU argues they're bad: http://letstalktrade.eu/does-protectionism-work_en

Quote:
How has the EU managed to avoid catastrophic job loss in their wine and cheese and champagne and food industries?

The EU hasn't experienced job losses as a results of its protectionist tariffs? 

Quote:
And more specifically, why haven't those overseas tariffs sparked trade wars?

Some of these things have threatened to cause trade wars, but those are usually ended as the result of negotiations and trade agreements that reduce tariffs and other barriers to trade.

IP Logged

Jasmine
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker
Conservative Caucus

God Bless America!

Reply #16 - Mar 12th, 2018 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
I don’t care if Trump’s tariffs damage or benefit us. I’m just against this action on principle. I don’t support protectionist policies.

President Trump turned you into a snowflake? Woman up!

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #17 - Mar 12th, 2018 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
Lomelis wrote on Mar 12th, 2018 at 1:00pm:
The European economy has been pretty stagnant with very little growth and the election of Trump can be seen as a response to the tariffs and "unfair" economic activities by China and the EU.

In essence they have started a trade war, the last election was a response to the rest of the world about the dumping and tariffs.

Trump was the response from the snowflakes in the rustbelt states that enough is enough.

So would you say that these are responsive tariffs?  Does that mean they're "defensive tariffs?"

And can stagnant growth in the European economy really be seen as due to tariffs?  Germany doesn't have stagnant growth.  They saw a 6 year high in 2017.  France is seeing growth.

So it can't ALL be due to tariffs right?  I mean obviously Greece and Italy aren't.  But can we say Greece and Italy's economic woes are due to tariffs if those same woes aren't repeating themselves across the EU?

This kind of gets at the question I'm asking in the thread.  "How much damage do tariffs do?"  Can we quantify it?

Queshank

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #18 - Mar 12th, 2018 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
Lomelis wrote on Mar 12th, 2018 at 1:03pm:
Of course.  France, Spain, Italy, you know many of those places protecting their wine and cheese have terrible economies.  Wage growth has stagnated, unemployment is high, and there are serious movements in these countries to leave the EU.  Just like Britain.

France doesn't have a terrible economy. 

CNN says "Europe is Charging Ahead" as of January '18.

Wage growth has stagnated over the past 30 years in the US.  Is that because we have tariffs?  Or is it because the explosion in productivity has been due to computerization and automation over the past 30 years and that might be part of the reason for stagnant wage growth in France, Spain etc?

How can the European economy be growing faster than the US economy as the CNN article says above, if they have a protectionist system if protectionist systems are terrible for economies?  (Incidentally another quote from the article "France is shaping up to be a bright spot in 2018 ...could overtake Germany's GDP in the not so distant future."

(Some links there from Harvard and CNN for Ulysses to dismiss as Fake News.  This is a fun time.)

Queshank

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #19 - Mar 12th, 2018 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
Demos wrote on Mar 12th, 2018 at 1:07pm:
Sure, because they think it's in their interest to implement protectionist tariffs, regardless of any evidence to the contrary. 

We address this through trade agreements, which attempt to reduce barriers to trade, such as the TTIP. It's one of the things that we were dealing with through TPP, which we are now not a part of.

Some more cognitive dissonance to force Ulysses to nerdrage some more since I know you've seen me share this.  It means nothing that Reich is anti TPP.  Just more evidence for the Trumpian stylings of Democrats.  I love that shit.

Quote:
Who says they're not bad for the EU? 

Even the EU argues they're bad: http://letstalktrade.eu/does-protectionism-work_en

The EU hasn't experienced job losses as a results of its protectionist tariffs? 

Some of these things have threatened to cause trade wars, but those are usually ended as the result of negotiations and trade agreements that reduce tariffs and other barriers to trade.

And the point is ... there's simply too many variables at play for one thing to be picked out as the problem.  And it's always interesting to me that economists pick the variables that mean the most to them ... and then the Democrats and Republicans pick the economists that they like the best.  I literally had one Democrat tell me he doesn't need to understand the economy he has a Nobel prize winning economist in the form of Paul Krugman to lean on.  I truly enjoyed sharing Krugman suggesting 25% tariffs on China in recent years.

Queshank

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › How much damage will tariffs really do?

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules