Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereReligion Forum › Where's the evidence for nothing existing and then something existing?
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Where's the evidence for nothing existing and then something existing? (Read 359 times)
atreyu
LNF Staffer1

Where's the evidence for nothing existing and then something existing?
May 2nd, 2018 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
I've heard religious people state that everything was created from "nothing", is there any evidence that "nothing" existing is even possible?   It certainly doesn't according to quantum mechanics.

If so, what's some of the properties of nothing?

IP Logged

just_me
LNF Representative2

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Re: Where's the evidence for nothing existing and then something existing?
Reply #1 - May 11th, 2018 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
Open your eyes and you will see it. Smiley

just me

IP Logged

fair-minded know it all
LNF Party Leader

fair-minded conservative
leaning independent

Reply #2 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
atreyu wrote on May 2nd, 2018 at 6:25pm:
I've heard religious people state that everything was created from "nothing", is there any evidence that "nothing" existing is even possible?   It certainly doesn't according to quantum mechanics.

If so, what's some of the properties of nothing?

Even Atheist crackpots like Dawkins theorizes about a time when there was nothing. 

IP Logged

BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #3 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
fair-minded know it all wrote on Jul 9th, 2018 at 3:12pm:
Even Atheist crackpots like Dawkins theorizes about a time when there was nothing. 

That's what happens when you cast your pearls before swine...

Which ironically enough is from "your" bible...

Yes, scientists theorize about "nothing" and unlike you bozos, they're capable of doing it with some substance.

When Q hears gallop noises he doesn't think zebras; he thinks there's a Democrat behind a curtain, making gallop noises.

IP Logged

Limey.
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #4 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
fair-minded know it all wrote on Jul 9th, 2018 at 3:12pm:

Just out of interest, have you read any of Dawkins' works on religion?

Under Capitalism, Man exploits Man.

Under Communism, it's the exact opposite.

IP Logged

fair-minded know it all
LNF Party Leader

fair-minded conservative
leaning independent

Reply #5 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 5:30am
Print Post  
BowHunter wrote on Jul 9th, 2018 at 5:17pm:
That's what happens when you cast your pearls before swine...

Which ironically enough is from "your" bible...

Yes, scientists theorize about "nothing" and unlike you bozos, they're capable of doing it with some substance.

Grin Grin Grin The laughter continues.  Steven Hawking reverted to the mystical medieval theory of spontaneous creation to explain the Universe's "self creation."   The Emperor still has no clothes.

IP Logged

BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #6 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
fair-minded know it all wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 5:30am:
Grin Grin Grin The laughter continues.  Steven Hawking reverted to the mystical medieval theory of spontaneous creation to explain the Universe's "self creation."   The Emperor still has no clothes.

Better that than to have no brain.

When Q hears gallop noises he doesn't think zebras; he thinks there's a Democrat behind a curtain, making gallop noises.

IP Logged

EF
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #7 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
Limey. wrote on Jul 9th, 2018 at 7:11pm:
Just out of interest, have you read any of Dawkins' works on religion?

I have not.  At least not any books.  I have read articles he has written and articles written about his books.  I would not characterize him as an "atheist crackpot."  Or a crackpot of any sort. 

I did get the impression he was kind of an "evangelical atheist."  Not content to just be an atheist himself, he tries to gain converts.  Which makes atheism almost a "religion" by definition.

I do agree that most belief systems are man made attempts to find a higher power.  Atheists believe that all of them are.   Believers in every religion almost universally believe that all of them but the one they believe in are.

But a higher power must reveal itself, or at least make it easy to be found, if one is to know more about that higher power than it is the Creator.   

Atheists and creationists (and that latter term only refers to people who believe in a Creator; it does not mean only fundamentalist Christians who believe the earth is only 6,000 years old and that dinosaurs were passengers on Noah's Ark) can see what exists.  Both wonder how it came to be, and that there are really only two options, and that one must suspend some disbelief to embrace either of them.  The question is which requires more suspension of disbelief:

That an inexplicable, eternal (no beginning, no end) creator, who self exists outside of the constraints of time and space, created an infinitely dense singularity that exploded, at which point time and space were created and matter was flung into a void that was not space and continues to expand into that void that is not space.

Or that infinitely dense singularity self existed, outside of the constraints of time and space, on its own without benefit of an intelligent creator.

Religions are, mostly, man's attempt to keep that creator happy, whoever and whatever it is.  Many people have seen it as a good way to make money and use people for personal benefit.  Richard Dawkins hates those people, and so do I.

non sumus stulti
but
accidit stercore

IP Logged

Limey.
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #8 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
Dawkins is an exceptionally good writer and his main work on religion, the God Delusion, is an exceptionally well-written book.

His tone seems to be slightly alarmed puzzlement, blended with exasperation and intermittent anger, rather than evangelical hatred of religion.

Seawolf refuses point blank to even consider reading anything by Dawkins.

As a point of interest, he (Dawkins not Seawolf) numbers many distinguished churchmen as personal friends.

Actually, Seawolf may too, I don't know. Is it easier to be a distinguished churchman in America where you can just start a church and be the Bishop just like that?

I'd like to be a Bishop. Those hats lend an air of timelessness and dignity. At least, on an older guy. They might look silly on a college student.

Under Capitalism, Man exploits Man.

Under Communism, it's the exact opposite.

IP Logged

EF
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #9 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
Limey. wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 3:05pm:
Dawkins is an exceptionally good writer and his main work on religion, the God Delusion, is an exceptionally well-written book.

His tone seems to be slightly alarmed puzzlement, blended with exasperation and intermittent anger, rather than evangelical hatred of religion.

Seawolf refuses point blank to even consider reading anything by Dawkins.

As a point of interest, he (Dawkins not Seawolf) numbers many distinguished churchmen as personal friends.

Actually, Seawolf may too, I don't know. Is it easier to be a distinguished churchman in America where you can just start a church and be the Bishop just like that?

I'd like to be a Bishop. Those hats lend an air of timelessness and dignity. At least, on an older guy. They might look silly on a college student.

I think you can do that.  Just get you one of those funny hats and start calling yourself Bishop Limey.  Might hurt your employment prospects and social life, though.

I may get Dawkins' book, but I'd rather have an objective summary of it.  And I think I have, essentially, had that objective summary, if piecemeal.  But I am willling to give him another look.

I do not agree that science and religion are mutually exclusive, though, and I think he does.  If I did, I would likely be an atheist, too.

non sumus stulti
but
accidit stercore

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereReligion Forum › Where's the evidence for nothing existing and then something existing?

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules