Normal Topic Kenshi (Read 57 times)
Queshank
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Kenshi
May 4th, 2018 at 11:50am
Print Post  
I buy a lot of interesting looking early access and kickstart games.

About 5 years ago I bought into Kenshi when it was on sale one day.  Looked promising.  Was a solo developer busting his ass on a labor of love.  Those are the things I look for and I'll just throw money at em and look again later.  I installed it and tried it ... looked interesting but way too complicated at the time.

Fast forward 5 years.  Kenshi shows up on my radar ... seeing the one developer has grown to four.  So I decide to look back at it since I'm reminded I own it.

Still complicated.  But I decided to take the time to learn the game a bit.

And holy shit.

This is a contender for being on my top 5 games I've ever played list. 

The premise is post apocalyptic Japan-ish setting.  The "Fallout" series but rather than a few hundred years after nuclear detonation ... think a few thousand.  Setting mankind back to swords and crossbow days.

At the risk of selling this impressive game short ...

It's an old school RPG-city/base building-survival-crafting-realtimestrategy game with the most open world sandbox I've seen in an RPG in a long time.

It's also the reason I haven't been posting or paying attention to politics much the last couple weeks.  I have a world to explore.

You start with one dude.  You hire people to be craftsmen, soldiers, farmers, whatever you need for how you want to play.  And there's no right way to play.  Hire a squad and just wander around the frontiers killing spiders, raptors and bandits.  Selling the loot and buying better gear. 

Or do what I did. 

1-Start out mining copper. 
2-Sell it til you have enough to hire a partner. 
3-Set him to helping you mine copper. 
4-Buy a shop in a town. 
5-Hire a dude and have him devote his life to making leather armor. 
6-Sell leather armor you make ... bankroll setting up a squad of fighters in good equipment. 
7-Wander around exploring killing increasingly difficult enemies and leveling fighting stats. 
8-Stumble upon a good base location with ample Stone, Iron, Copper, Water, and Fertility. 
9-Set up base, hire more people to be quarrymen, miners, farmers and laborers. 
10-Build a town.  Slowly increase its tech level through research.
11-Train and equip more soldiers to explore old lab and workshop ruins for researchable tech. 
12-When a slaving raid comes, defeat them with a combination of proficient warriors and wall mounted crossbows. 
13-Retaliate by starting a war with the slavers guild and invade their towns. 
14-Realize you're the answer to world peace and prepare to invade the Holy Empire one settlement at a time as you slowly build and train an army of 100 bad ass supersoldiers (freeing slaves helps) in full masterwork samurai armor with katanas.  (Turns out that leather armor guy gets quite good at making armor if you leave him be to work.)

I'm on step 14 now.  43 hours in.  And I've barely explored about 1/3rd of the world so far.

It is a micromanaging obsessive compulsive dream.  Evercrack-ian in its addiction potential once you understand its complexities. 

And waaaaay funner than paying attention to people's heads melting because Trump farted and lied by blaming the dog.

Queshank

BowHunter wrote on Nov 30th, 2017 at 10:24am:
I am not aware of any article

IP Logged

Rabbit_Reborn
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

2015 Poster of the Year.
Election stolen 2016.

Re: Kenshi
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2018 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
Queshank wrote on May 4th, 2018 at 11:50am:
I buy a lot of interesting looking early access and kickstart games.

About 5 years ago I bought into Kenshi when it was on sale one day.  Looked promising.  Was a solo developer busting his ass on a labor of love.  Those are the things I look for and I'll just throw money at em and look again later.  I installed it and tried it ... looked interesting but way too complicated at the time.

Fast forward 5 years.  Kenshi shows up on my radar ... seeing the one developer has grown to four.  So I decide to look back at it since I'm reminded I own it.

Still complicated.  But I decided to take the time to learn the game a bit.

And holy shit.

This is a contender for being on my top 5 games I've ever played list. 

The premise is post apocalyptic Japan-ish setting.  The "Fallout" series but rather than a few hundred years after nuclear detonation ... think a few thousand.  Setting mankind back to swords and crossbow days.

At the risk of selling this impressive game short ...

It's an old school RPG-city/base building-survival-crafting-realtimestrategy game with the most open world sandbox I've seen in an RPG in a long time.

It's also the reason I haven't been posting or paying attention to politics much the last couple weeks.  I have a world to explore.

You start with one dude.  You hire people to be craftsmen, soldiers, farmers, whatever you need for how you want to play.  And there's no right way to play.  Hire a squad and just wander around the frontiers killing spiders, raptors and bandits.  Selling the loot and buying better gear. 

Or do what I did. 

1-Start out mining copper. 
2-Sell it til you have enough to hire a partner. 
3-Set him to helping you mine copper. 
4-Buy a shop in a town. 
5-Hire a dude and have him devote his life to making leather armor. 
6-Sell leather armor you make ... bankroll setting up a squad of fighters in good equipment. 
7-Wander around exploring killing increasingly difficult enemies and leveling fighting stats. 
8-Stumble upon a good base location with ample Stone, Iron, Copper, Water, and Fertility. 
9-Set up base, hire more people to be quarrymen, miners, farmers and laborers. 
10-Build a town.  Slowly increase its tech level through research.
11-Train and equip more soldiers to explore old lab and workshop ruins for researchable tech. 
12-When a slaving raid comes, defeat them with a combination of proficient warriors and wall mounted crossbows. 
13-Retaliate by starting a war with the slavers guild and invade their towns. 
14-Realize you're the answer to world peace and prepare to invade the Holy Empire one settlement at a time as you slowly build and train an army of 100 bad ass supersoldiers (freeing slaves helps) in full masterwork samurai armor with katanas.  (Turns out that leather armor guy gets quite good at making armor if you leave him be to work.)

I'm on step 14 now.  43 hours in.  And I've barely explored about 1/3rd of the world so far.

It is a micromanaging obsessive compulsive dream.  Evercrack-ian in its addiction potential once you understand its complexities. 

And waaaaay funner than paying attention to people's heads melting because Trump farted and lied by blaming the dog.

Queshank

That game sounds incredible. It sounds like somebody went into my head and created a game specifically for me. I thought I wouldn't play many more games in my life (gotta get the next Fallout, whenever that happens... So maybe one game every 5 years?). But this one sounds really great.

If the electorate is corrupted dangerously by facebook accounts and fake news then democracy is an unfit form of government in this new, modern world.

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Re: Kenshi
Reply #2 - May 4th, 2018 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
Rabbit_Reborn wrote on May 4th, 2018 at 12:03pm:
That game sounds incredible. It sounds like somebody went into my head and created a game specifically for me. I thought I wouldn't play many more games in my life (gotta get the next Fallout, whenever that happens... So maybe one game every 5 years?). But this one sounds really great.

That's very much how the game seems to me.  Like somebody designed a game specifically for all of the things that cater to my dopamine pathways. 

The past two weeks I've been having trouble getting any work done.  My wife leaves for the day and I say "Bye honey, have a good day at work!" with a kiss and instead of working I sneak to the computer and play Kenshi.  My hope is if I feed the beast long enough I'll burn out and be able to get back to work unimpeded by dreams of conquest.

The game is incredibly hard and discouraging for newcomers.  And since it's a slow building early access game there aren't a lot of good youtube "guides."  You have to figure out a lot by trial and error. 

Like...you're so weak at first your only option is getting your ass kicked by starving bandits who steal your food and hoping you don't bleed out in the desert or slavers don't come across your unconscious form, shackle you up and haul you off to a work camp.  (The game doesn't end btw.  You can still control your slave character, try to pick the locks and run away in the night...then you're an EX-SLAVE and bounty hunters will periodically attack you on sight.) 

This way you build up your TOUGHNESS stat and your MELEE DEFENSE skill.  So you can stay conscious just a liiiitle bit longer next time.  Getting beat into unconsciousness doesn't seem like the right "path" but it's the fastest.  I've lost a couple dudes to slavers that way but ... always more food for the machine waiting in bars to be hired!

But once you have 3 well armored badasses it's incredibly satisfying seeing roaming packs of starving Outlaw Peasants and sand skimmers just get annihilated by your 3 samurai dudes, 1 martial artist (I've got a medic leveling martial arts just cuz I think the animations are cool) and 2 crossbowmen.  Slap a little first aid on your warriors and get back in there.

There's a very similar to Mount & Blade warband vibe to the map and movement/exploration but without the 1st person combat scenes.  Combat is real time strategy based entirely on positioning and in game stats.

Queshank

BowHunter wrote on Nov 30th, 2017 at 10:24am:
I am not aware of any article

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereEntertainment Board › Kenshi

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules