Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereReligion Forum › Interesting opinion piece
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Interesting opinion piece (Read 784 times)
EF
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Re: Interesting opinion piece
Reply #20 - May 19th, 2018 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
Seawolf wrote on May 19th, 2018 at 10:02pm:
Well, politics plays no part in our walk, so to say there is a right or left leaning Christian is a fallacy contrary to the teachings of Jesus.  You are either a follower or you are not.  There simply is no left or right.  Now to the world that is how they see everything, let or right regarding politics.  I am not sure you realize this but there are Dems and Republican who are also Christians.  Also, categorizing someone is a weakness in that you can not easily put anyone in a box.  Everyone is unique with their views and their opinion, so your generalization is a failure at best... 

Be that as it may, there are plenty of 'em.  More on the right than the left from my experience.  At least they claim they're Christian.  Some even use the adjective "ardent."

non sumus stulti
but
accidit stercore

IP Logged

Frank1
LNF Majority Leader

Reply #21 - May 20th, 2018 at 10:36am
Print Post  
EF wrote on May 14th, 2018 at 12:02pm:
https://www.salon.com/2018/05/14/how-the-religious-right-is-shrinking-itself-ove...

How the religious right is shrinking itself: Overzealous Christianity is driving people away

Interesting excerpt:

The story might just be a little more complicated, however than saying that a lot of loyal, churchgoing Christians suddenly lost faith after confronting homophobia in the pews.

"The people that end up leaving were pretty marginal to begin with," Djupe said, noting that this isn't "affecting those that are deeply committed to their churches."

A lot of people join a church because it's "socially desirable" in their communities, he explained, but attend infrequently. "The more that religion is out there doing things that some people disagree with," the more likely such marginal congregants are to cut all ties and make the once-taboo declaration that they have no religion at all. That means, of course, that the churches are left with the true believers.

In that scenario, Djupe explaned, among those people who are still religious, "There are actually more people that go to church a lot more. There are people that don’t go and there are people that go pretty frequently, and not as many marginal members as there used to be.”

I think this opinion is absolutely correct.  A lot of people go to church out of conformity to perceived societal expectations rather than because they have a deep belief in what is taught at church.

The lesson for the church is not to change in order to accomodate luke-warm church members.  If church's do that they will in fact drive away the people of strong faith and gain almost nothing in return.

The Church's must simply continue to teach what they have always taught and "weather the storm" as "the world" draws away the luke-warm and half-committed.

Christ Pantocrator

To say homo sapiens, is to say Homo religiosus; there is no man without God. ~Frithjof Schuon

IP Logged

Seawolf
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #22 - May 20th, 2018 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
EF wrote on May 19th, 2018 at 10:33pm:
Be that as it may, there are plenty of 'em.  More on the right than the left from my experience.  At least they claim they're Christian.  Some even use the adjective "ardent."

In the end does it matter to God who will judge all of mankind?  You can claim anything you want but God will judge our hearts and all that matters is you are covered in the blood of Jesus Christ.  All this other nonsense carries no weight when it comes to eternity.  It is more important that your walk is rooted in God's word and in Jesus Christ.  We can call ourselves right wing or left wing but it is what Jesus will call us all in that day.  THAT is the day we all should worry about, nothing else matters on this earth.

"Without morals a republic cannot subsist any length of time; they therefore who are decrying the Christian religion, whose morality is so sublime and pure (and) which insures to the good eternal happiness, are undermining the solid foundation of morals, the best security for the duration of free governments."

Charles Carroll, signer of the DOI

IP Logged

EF
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #23 - May 20th, 2018 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
Seawolf wrote on May 20th, 2018 at 3:27pm:
In the end does it matter to God who will judge all of mankind?  You can claim anything you want but God will judge our hearts and all that matters is you are covered in the blood of Jesus Christ.  All this other nonsense carries no weight when it comes to eternity.  It is more important that your walk is rooted in God's word and in Jesus Christ.  We can call ourselves right wing or left wing but it is what Jesus will call us all in that day.  THAT is the day we all should worry about, nothing else matters on this earth.

Nevertheless, they are what they seem to be (ultra righties).  And they claim to be Christians, and they regularly conflate the two.  That's one of the reasons I doubted that claim.  By one's actions and deeds one is known.  They're plainly ultra righties by their actions and deeds.  Christian?  Not so much if any.

non sumus stulti
but
accidit stercore

IP Logged

Limey.
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #24 - May 21st, 2018 at 7:38am
Print Post  
Seawolf wrote on May 19th, 2018 at 10:02pm:
Well, politics plays no part in our walk, so to say there is a right or left leaning Christian is a fallacy contrary to the teachings of Jesus.  You are either a follower or you are not.  There simply is no left or right.  Now to the world that is how they see everything, let or right regarding politics.  I am not sure you realize this but there are Dems and Republican who are also Christians.  Also, categorizing someone is a weakness in that you can not easily put anyone in a box.  Everyone is unique with their views and their opinion, so your generalization is a failure at best... 

People sort of self-identify, and many are open about it.

You may -in fact I know you do - disagree that someone professing Christianity actually is a Christian, but I’m uncomfortable accepting your assessment (that’s not a dig at you, Seawolf, just at those who claim to be arbiters).

Similarly with politics; there are factions within factions, and factions within those. Is there a ‘creed’ for the Right (or the Left for that matter)?

Setting that aside, many people describe themselves as Right wing and also as Christian.

I really can’t see how the two are compatible.

Under Capitalism, Man exploits Man.

Under Communism, it's the exact opposite.

IP Logged

Limey.
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #25 - May 21st, 2018 at 7:40am
Print Post  
Seawolf wrote on May 20th, 2018 at 3:27pm:

I may be wrong but I read that as “I can spend my life treating people like crap but if I really really really am Christian inside I will go to heaven anyway because people don’t really matter to Jesus”.

Under Capitalism, Man exploits Man.

Under Communism, it's the exact opposite.

IP Logged

Seawolf
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker

Reply #26 - May 21st, 2018 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
Limey. wrote on May 21st, 2018 at 7:38am:
People sort of self-identify, and many are open about it.

You may -in fact I know you do - disagree that someone professing Christianity actually is a Christian, but I’m uncomfortable accepting your assessment (that’s not a dig at you, Seawolf, just at those who claim to be arbiters).

Similarly with politics; there are factions within factions, and factions within those. Is there a ‘creed’ for the Right (or the Left for that matter)?

Setting that aside, many people describe themselves as Right wing and also as Christian.

I really can’t see how the two are compatible.

The Bible is very clear that you can tell by their fruits.  There really is no second guessing if someone is or is not when their acts and behavior are in contradiction to sctipture.  I can give one excellent example, you can not possibly claim to be walking in Christ while you support abortion.  The two are in direct oppostion to each other.  The Mosaic law clearly states that murder is a sin, sixth commandment.  So you could not possibly say that murdering a child in the womb is in line with the Bible.  Living as an adulterer is another example.  There are many behaviors that are obvious red flags regarding someone's faith.  It is possible for a new believer to still retain some behaviors simply because he has yet to learn God's word.  You can be right leaning or left leaning in your political views and still be a Christian as long as those views are in line with the Gospel.  Being left or right as a Christian, I need examples because God's word is pretty specific regarding salvation and our walk.

"Without morals a republic cannot subsist any length of time; they therefore who are decrying the Christian religion, whose morality is so sublime and pure (and) which insures to the good eternal happiness, are undermining the solid foundation of morals, the best security for the duration of free governments."

IP Logged

Seawolf
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker

Reply #27 - May 21st, 2018 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
Limey. wrote on May 21st, 2018 at 7:40am:
I may be wrong but I read that as “I can spend my life treating people like crap but if I really really really am Christian inside I will go to heaven anyway because people don’t really matter to Jesus”.

Not sure where you read this in my remarks, feel free to highlite the remarks you are discussing.

IP Logged

JohnnyBgood
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Im guilty of Locker room
talk too

Reply #28 - May 22nd, 2018 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
EF wrote on May 15th, 2018 at 3:59pm:
My personal opinion is that many in the so-called Christian religious right are more right wing than Christian. 

Very true

Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek

IP Logged

JohnnyBgood
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Im guilty of Locker room
talk too

Reply #29 - May 22nd, 2018 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
Seawolf wrote on May 15th, 2018 at 5:41pm:
Then please educate me what is a right wing Christian in CONTEXT to the teachings of Jesus?  The Bible says there is no wiggle room so I am failing to understand what a right wing Christian is.  To me you are either a follower of Christ or you are not, no right or left but I may have missed something in my Bible studies so please enlighten em.   Undecided

Its when you bring your religion out to defend your political party and racial sexist opinions. That should have nothing to do with US rights. Gays can marry because this is the US. Now bake the cake!

Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereReligion Forum › Interesting opinion piece

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules