Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › In Today's CDN (Cognitive Dissonance News)
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) In Today's CDN (Cognitive Dissonance News) (Read 565 times)
Queshank
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

In Today's CDN (Cognitive Dissonance News)
May 15th, 2018 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
We're discussing how Trump violated the Constitution by implementing a "Muslim" ban.

Can someone please explain to me how a ban that leaves off the list travelers from Saudi Arabia ... the birthplace of Islam ... the home of Mecca, where all Muslims are required to make a pilgrimage at some point in their life ... is a "Muslim" ban?

I don't care about Trump's rhetoric.

I don't care about judge's decisions, unless you're prepared to argue the courts were right from Dred Scott to Citizen's United.

Just explain how letting people come from the Capital of Islam can be rationalized as a Muslim ban.

Thank you.

Queshank

BowHunter wrote on Nov 30th, 2017 at 10:24am:
I am not aware of any article

IP Logged

Limey.
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Re: In Today's CDN (Cognitive Dissonance News)
Reply #1 - May 15th, 2018 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
Wasn’t the main focus of everybody’s distaste about this precisely the omission of Saudi?

From here, it looked like this.

1. You’ve a lot of frankly stupid, frankly bigoted people who bark like dogs if someone says ‘muslim’ (we have them too)

2. ‘Ban Muslims!!!’ gets these losers voting.

3. You can’t really ban Muslims for all sorts of reasons

4. But you can make life difficult for lots of them and that’s enough for the morons

5. Saudis are too important to upset, even though in an anti-terrorist context security services should be checking them out early.

6. It’s a win win for that clever Mr. Trump. He looks like the racist wanker his voters want him to be but he’s covered by pointing at easy travel for Saudis etc. And he didn’t upset the Saudis.

Neatly done.

Under Capitalism, Man exploits Man.

Under Communism, it's the exact opposite.

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #2 - May 15th, 2018 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
Limey. wrote on May 15th, 2018 at 3:07pm:
Wasn’t the main focus of everybody’s distaste about this precisely the omission of Saudi?

From here, it looked like this.

1. You’ve a lot of frankly stupid, frankly bigoted people who bark like dogs if someone says ‘muslim’ (we have them too)

2. ‘Ban Muslims!!!’ gets these losers voting.

3. You can’t really ban Muslims for all sorts of reasons

4. But you can make life difficult for lots of them and that’s enough for the morons

5. Saudis are too important to upset, even though in an anti-terrorist context security services should be checking them out early.

6. It’s a win win for that clever Mr. Trump. He looks like the racist wanker his voters want him to be but he’s covered by pointing at easy travel for Saudis etc. And he didn’t upset the Saudis.

Neatly done.

My concerns run along more practical political lines.

The biggest problem the left has these days is their pearl clutching and repellent overreaction to nearly everything the right believes.  The New York Times editorial board recently went so far as to call conservative ideas dangerous to the future of our country.  Not Trump's ideas. Conservative ideas in general in a plea to Justice Kennedy they published begging him not to retire for the good of the country.  (Yeah they're objective.)

This wouldn't be so bad, considering there are extremist elements on the right that do the same thing, if it was just the extremists on the left acting so outrageously. 

But it's not just the extremists on the left.   It's the ENTIRE left.  It's the editorial board of the New York Times.  It's everyone at CNN.  It's MSNBC.  It's not just Thom Hartman on his daily radio show.  This overreactionary hissy fit shit has become the main platform of the Democratic Party.  Not a day goes by when I'm not reminded of Judge Smails from Caddyshack when I talk to a rank and file Democrat or see one of them talking on television.

Democratic/liberal ideas?  Nah.  crappity smack those.  Those are so passe'.  It's all about shitting a brick because Trump is the president, and if you're not on board with that, get the hell out of our party you Russian troll.

Do I support Donald Trump's travel ban?

crappity smack no.  It's blatant political grandstanding.  Sarah Palinesque red meat for his base.

But it's working.  And the left is letting it work.  They're reinforcing it and HELPING it work.

They need to pick their battles.  I know I might be too deep into all this shit.  I might have some serious confirmation bias working on me.  I acknowledge that.  I'm as human as the people I'm constantly criticizing.  But it's also possible I'm paying attention to ALL the signs and not just the ones I like.  I read CNN's website every day. I listen to Rachel Maddow's podcast every night (and Chris Hayes' but not every day).  And I never listen to Fox News.  Period.  So how am I getting such a different take on events from everyone else?

Today I had a conversation with someone who out of the blue asked me what I thought of Trump's blatant and repeated violations of the Constitution. 

I thought she was talking about what is going on with ZTE and was making an insinuation about the emoluments clause. 

I said "I think it's disgusting, but I also think people need to be careful not to turn something that can easily be interpreted as a move in the impending Chinese tradewar into a partisan anti Trump issue and destroy the issue for broader consumption." 

She didn't even know what I was talking about and said "I mean his constant violations of the Constitution." 

I said "Give me some examples?"

She said "Well his Muslim ban is a clear violation of the Constitution."

I said what I asked up here.  "I'm not sure we can call that a Muslim ban when it doesn't ban people from Saudi Arabia, the birthplace of Islam.  It'd be like calling something a Jewish ban but being A-OK with letting people come from Israel."

She freaked out at me and yelled "I'M NOT DOING THIS" and hung up on me.

These people are freaking me the crappity smack out.  I can only imagine the impression they're leaving on actual conservatives and Trumplicans.

Queshank

IP Logged

Maestro
Hardhat
The Writer's Croft

Reply #3 - May 15th, 2018 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
Queshank wrote on May 15th, 2018 at 3:38pm:
Today I had a conversation with someone who out of the blue asked me what I thought of Trump's blatant and repeated violations of the Constitution. 

I thought she was talking about what is going on with ZTE and was making an insinuation about the emoluments clause. 

I said "I think it's disgusting, but I also think people need to be careful not to turn something that can easily be interpreted as a move in the impending Chinese tradewar into a partisan anti Trump issue and destroy the issue for broader consumption." 

She didn't even know what I was talking about and said "I mean his constant violations of the Constitution." 

I said "Give me some examples?"

She said "Well his Muslim ban is a clear violation of the Constitution."

I said what I asked up here.  "I'm not sure we can call that a Muslim ban when it doesn't ban people from Saudi Arabia, the birthplace of Islam.  It'd be like calling something a Jewish ban but being A-OK with letting people come from Israel."

She freaked out at me and yelled "I'M NOT DOING THIS" and hung up on me.

These people are freaking me the crappity smack out.  I can only imagine the impression they're leaving on actual conservatives and Trumplicans.

Queshank

I have to ask, but it's OK if you don't want to answer.

What was the context of this phone call? Friend, family member, coworker, wrong number?

(I'm really hoping it was the last).

"Have you ever noticed that? We base our assessment of the intelligence of others almost entirely on how closely their thinking matches our own. "

-Belgarath, from Belgarath the Sorcerer
IP Logged

admin
LNF Administrator

To contact Admin send
a PM

Reply #4 - May 15th, 2018 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
- its the Constitution that gives the President the power to say who can come into the nation - for any reason - those that oppose Trump are un-Constitutional

Welcome to the Liberty News Forum - News and Political Discussion Forum.
IP Logged

billy.pilgrim
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #5 - May 15th, 2018 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
Queshank wrote on May 15th, 2018 at 2:20pm:
We're discussing how Trump violated the Constitution by implementing a "Muslim" ban.

Can someone please explain to me how a ban that leaves off the list travelers from Saudi Arabia ... the birthplace of Islam ... the home of Mecca, where all Muslims are required to make a pilgrimage at some point in their life ... is a "Muslim" ban?

I don't care about Trump's rhetoric.

I don't care about judge's decisions, unless you're prepared to argue the courts were right from Dred Scott to Citizen's United.

Just explain how letting people come from the Capital of Islam can be rationalized as a Muslim ban.

Thank you.

Queshank

Because he said it would be, but for a bunch of reasons he was unable or unwilling to deliver.

the wis-dum of acrhie
"I am sure Trump is like me."
"There is no capitalism under Obama’s rule. He is a fu8&^ communist."

IP Logged

Ulysses
LNF House Leader
LNF Bunker

¡RESIST!

Reply #6 - May 15th, 2018 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
admin wrote on May 15th, 2018 at 4:25pm:
- its the Constitution that gives the President the power to say who can come into the nation - for any reason - those that oppose Trump are un-Constitutional

Bullshit.

Opposing Trump does NOT make someone "un-Constitutional".

Pathetic.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, carrying a cross, and wearing road kill as a toupée

IP Logged

Maestro
Hardhat
The Writer's Croft

Reply #7 - May 15th, 2018 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
Ulysses wrote on May 15th, 2018 at 4:29pm:
Bullshit.

Opposing Trump does NOT make someone "un-Constitutional".

Pathetic.

That's not what he was saying.

Here's a link for you. Might help.

"Have you ever noticed that? We base our assessment of the intelligence of others almost entirely on how closely their thinking matches our own. "

-Belgarath, from Belgarath the Sorcerer
IP Logged

Queshank
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #8 - May 15th, 2018 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
Maestro wrote on May 15th, 2018 at 4:03pm:
I have to ask, but it's OK if you don't want to answer.

What was the context of this phone call? Friend, family member, coworker, wrong number?

(I'm really hoping it was the last).

LOL

It was my mom Maestro.  I called her to ask if she needed help setting up her new cell phone.  She started in on Trump.

Queshank

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #9 - May 15th, 2018 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
billy.pilgrim wrote on May 15th, 2018 at 4:25pm:
Because he said it would be,

So now he doesn't lie?

Queshank

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › In Today's CDN (Cognitive Dissonance News)

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules