Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › So, I'm a bit of a hypocrite
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic So, I'm a bit of a hypocrite (Read 138 times)
Maestro
Hardhat
The Writer's Croft

So, I'm a bit of a hypocrite
May 15th, 2018 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
Ok, so a while back I complained about how most modern politicians don't actually write their own books, but pretend that they do. People who spend hundreds of days a year on the road giving speeches, making TV appearances, etc. are not sitting at a keyboard writing a 400+ page book. They are talking to an actual writer who then turns their conversations into a readable book.

Having said all of that, I saw Gerald Ford's "A Time to Heal" at our library this week and I picked it up. And, I have to admit, it's fascinating.

I doubt many people used "fascinating" to describe Gerald Ford before 1974, but this book really is. I've read another book about Ford called "Write it When I'm Gone" which is equally fascinating.

Contrary to what many historians might think, I think Ford might be one of, if the the most interesting man to sit in the White House. The way he got there, the decisions he made, what he had to deal with. I'm too young to have lived through much of it (I was an infant during the last part of his administration), but I find the whole situation really interesting.

"Have you ever noticed that? We base our assessment of the intelligence of others almost entirely on how closely their thinking matches our own. "

-Belgarath, from Belgarath the Sorcerer
IP Logged

Ulysses
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

Secretary of State for
Tea and Biscuits

Re: So, I'm a bit of a hypocrite
Reply #1 - May 15th, 2018 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
I was in my 20's during Ford's brief term. I remember someone opining at one point that all the jokes about him being uncoordinated were a bit unfair. As a former athlete, he was apparently rather well-coordinated.

His speaking style however was rather wooden and uninspiring, which was fair game.

And, although he insisted there was no prior agreement or understanding, he's maintained that pardoning Nixon was simply the right thing to do for the man and the nation. I've never fully accepted that.

I believe more than anything that pardon handed the election to Jimmy Carter, who was as far removed from a Nixon as could be.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, carrying a cross, and wearing road kill as a toupée

IP Logged

Jasmine
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker
Conservative Caucus

God Bless America!

Reply #2 - May 15th, 2018 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
So was that book ghostwritten, Maestro?

I don't think Ford even served a full term, right? For that reason, I often forget him. I was 1 year old when Carter was elected.

President Trump turned you into a snowflake? Woman up!

IP Logged

Maestro
Hardhat
The Writer's Croft

Reply #3 - May 15th, 2018 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
Jasmine wrote on May 15th, 2018 at 6:24pm:
So was that book ghostwritten, Maestro?

I have no proof. I suspect it, though. Writing well is hard work and takes tons of time.

Nixon though, that's a different story. He might have written his. By all accounts, he had tons of time after leaving office and wasn't really known for collaborating. It's also a little difficult to imagine him letting someone else write his story.

Quote:
I don't think Ford even served a full term, right? For that reason, I often forget him. I was 1 year old when Carter was elected.

He finished Nixon's second term. Nixon's first VP resigned for financial malfeasance (unrelated to Watergate). Nixon nominated Ford (the House minority leader at the time) to replace him and Ford was confirmed by the Congress under the rules of the 25th Amendment in 1974. Before that, vacant Vice Presidencies were just left empty until the next election.

When Nixon resigned, Ford became President, making him the only President to never be elected to either the Presidency or the Vice-Presidency. Carter then beat Ford in the 1976 election.

"Have you ever noticed that? We base our assessment of the intelligence of others almost entirely on how closely their thinking matches our own. "

IP Logged

Jasmine
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker
Conservative Caucus

God Bless America!

Reply #4 - May 15th, 2018 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
Maestro wrote on May 15th, 2018 at 6:30pm:
I have no proof. I suspect it, though. Writing well is hard work and takes tons of time.

Nixon though, that's a different story. He might have written his. By all accounts, he had tons of time after leaving office and wasn't really known for collaborating. It's also a little difficult to imagine him letting someone else write his story.

I think ghostwritten books are usually better because the quality of writing is professional level. It's still the subject's stories and voice and recollections, and I'm sure the subject has final say on whatever's written.

It's cool that you have a passion for political history. Smiley

IP Logged

Maestro
Hardhat
The Writer's Croft

Reply #5 - May 15th, 2018 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
Jasmine wrote on May 15th, 2018 at 6:39pm:
I think ghostwritten books are usually better because the quality of writing is professional level. It's still the subject's stories and voice and recollections, and I'm sure the subject has final say on whatever's written.

I don't mind the concept, I just think politicians ought to be big enough to say "With so-and-so" under their giant name on the cover.

Quote:
It's cool that you have a passion for political history. Smiley

Man, there's little that's more exciting than how people divvy up power among themselves. It's captivating stuff.

IP Logged

Jasmine
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker
Conservative Caucus

God Bless America!

Reply #6 - May 15th, 2018 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
Maestro wrote on May 15th, 2018 at 6:42pm:
I don't mind the concept, I just think politicians ought to be big enough to say "With so-and-so" under their giant name on the cover.

I thought they did. They definitely should. It's only right.

Quote:
Man, there's little that's more exciting than how people divvy up power among themselves. It's captivating stuff.

It's not an autobiography or a memoir, but I highly recommend "Days of Fire" by Peter Baker of the NY Times. It is an excellent account of the Bush/Cheney White House years. It really goes behind the scenes and brilliantly captures key moments of their administration. The part about Sept. 11 alone makes it captivating reading. It is also very objective and balanced.

IP Logged

Maestro
Hardhat
The Writer's Croft

Reply #7 - May 15th, 2018 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
Ulysses wrote on May 15th, 2018 at 5:45pm:
I was in my 20's during Ford's brief term. I remember someone opining at one point that all the jokes about him being uncoordinated were a bit unfair. As a former athlete, he was apparently rather well-coordinated.

Ha! I thought you were younger than I. That's neither an insult nor a compliment. I'm just admitting an error. You're right about the unfair portrayal. He falls on camera a couple of times and is labelled a klutz when he is clearly more physically coordinated than the average person.

Quote:
His speaking style however was rather wooden and uninspiring, which was fair game.

That is a fair point, though I think Ford and Carter were both probably right on the turning point of when gobs of Presidential charisma went from being an asset to a necessity. Politics tends to trail behind technology by a generation or so. While we have had Presidents before that with tons of charisma (FDR) we had plenty who seemed to have very little. I would argue that it wasn't until the late 70's that being charismatic on camera really mattered. Yeah, I know, JFK, but he's the exception that proves the rule.

Quote:
And, although he insisted there was no prior agreement or understanding, he's maintained that pardoning Nixon was simply the right thing to do for the man and the nation. I've never fully accepted that.

I understand that. There's a part of me that bristles under the idea that we should pardon people before the trial is over and I also appreciate the idea that nobody is above the law. But, the Founders debated some of that when they gave the pardoning power to the POTUS and using the pardon to heal social wounds was something they considered, though they were speaking more in terms of rebellions.

Still, I think Ford was right. I don't think there was a deal (I could do another thread on that). He basically sacrificed his political career for that move and I think it was the right course of action.

Quote:
I believe more than anything that pardon handed the election to Jimmy Carter, who was as far removed from a Nixon as could be.

I mostly agree.

IP Logged

Maestro
Hardhat
The Writer's Croft

Reply #8 - May 15th, 2018 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
Jasmine wrote on May 15th, 2018 at 6:47pm:
I thought they did. They definitely should. It's only right.

It's not an autobiography or a memoir, but I highly recommend "Days of Fire" by Peter Baker of the NY Times. It is an excellent account of the Bush/Cheney White House years. It really goes behind the scenes and brilliantly captures key moments of their administration. The part about Sept. 11 alone makes it captivating reading. It is also very objective and balanced.

I'll take a look at it. I like reading about Bush's term as well. 9/11 was our generation's Watergate/Pear Harbor/etc.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › So, I'm a bit of a hypocrite

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules