Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereChristian Forum › False gods and the Sacrifice of Children
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) False gods and the Sacrifice of Children (Read 559 times)
Seawolf
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

False gods and the Sacrifice of Children
May 20th, 2018 at 9:31am
Print Post  
Dr. Ab Abercrombie

After receiving God’s magnificent grace and abundant supply throughout the generations, the Jewish nation was quick to forget and ultimately reject the God of their salvation. Frequently following God’s rescue and provision, His people would attach themselves to foreign nations for support and protection. In doing so Israel would adopt the traditions, culture, and gods common to the nation upon which they depended.

An excellent account of this occurs in Ezekiel 16 where God, through the prophet, describes how He rescued a lost, despised, and hopeless people (Israel), giving them life and identity as His own children. Using the parable of an abandoned newborn, God illustrates how He rescued and raised the rejected infant to maturity, only to have the child devote its heart to a foreign god (Ezk 16:1-19). In their idolatry, God’s people turned even to the literal sacrifice of their children.

“Moreover, you took your sons and daughters whom you had borne to Me and sacrificed them to idols to be devoured. Were your harlotries so small a matter? You slaughtered My children and offered them up to idols by causing them to pass through the fire” (Ezk 16:20-21).

When New Testament Christians read of such abominations in Scripture, we often have difficulty relating and fail to see its application. After all we no longer witness children placed in the sacrificial fire to honor Molech or Ashtoreth. But as a biblical counselor I would suggest that idolatry is alive and well and children are indeed offered on the altar of countless “high places.”

The worship of self is primary and has fragmented the biblical home into pockets of individual gratification, personal goals, rights and entitlements. Biblical order is often abandoned because God’s structure interrupts one’s selfish ambition (Phil 2:3-4), calling instead for the glory and magnification of God above all else (Mark 12:30).

Too often I counsel with Christian believers who are suffering the spiritual and physical consequences of disobedience, yet fail to understand their misplaced focus.

There is the professional father worshiping at the idol of power and influence who is confused when he has no authority and impact with his wife and children. His wife controls the home and disregards his input. His children are rebellious and disrespectful. He complains: “I am respected everywhere except my own home.”
    There is the wife and mother devoted to beauty, fitness, social status, professional life, and “having it all” who continually feels empty, unfulfilled, and out of place. Her children are being treated for ADHD because they are distracted, disruptive, and underachieving. She laments: “I have everything I ever wanted…but I am miserable.”
    There is the man who kneels at the tower of lust but is never satisfied. He is preoccupied, obsessed, and controlled by this single longing; yet he expects his teenagers to be chaste. He can’t understand why his 16 year-old daughter is pregnant. He complains: “My children were raised in church and should know better.”
    There is the single mother who worships her current suitor; any man who might become her next husband. After all, she is entitled to be happy and her children need a father. Although she is a Christian she engages in sex outside of marriage and exposes her little ones to men who are not trustworthy. She is shocked to learn that her last boyfriend molested her son. She proclaims: “How could this happen…I am a good mother just trying to have a life of my own!”
    And there is the man who abandons his family because he lacks “chemistry” with his wife. His god is self-entitlement and his salvation is his own gratification. He sees his children less and less because they won’t accept his new girlfriend. He warns the kids: “You are going to have to adjust to my life if we are going to see each other. My new relationship comes first and you are going to have to grow up.”

I know this all sounds extreme…but each scenario comes from within the church. Each involves professing believers who have fallen subject to idolatry and their children are paying the consequence. It is a problem as old as the earth and yet to claim commonality with other sinners is simply unacceptable...

https://bcinstitute.com/false-gods-and-the-sacrifice-of-children/

"Without morals a republic cannot subsist any length of time; they therefore who are decrying the Christian religion, whose morality is so sublime and pure (and) which insures to the good eternal happiness, are undermining the solid foundation of morals, the best security for the duration of free governments."

Charles Carroll, signer of the DOI

IP Logged

EF
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Re: False gods and the Sacrifice of Children
Reply #1 - May 20th, 2018 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
Seawolf wrote on May 20th, 2018 at 9:31am:
Dr. Ab Abercrombie

After receiving God’s magnificent grace and abundant supply throughout the generations, the Jewish nation was quick to forget and ultimately reject the God of their salvation. Frequently following God’s rescue and provision, His people would attach themselves to foreign nations for support and protection. In doing so Israel would adopt the traditions, culture, and gods common to the nation upon which they depended.

An excellent account of this occurs in Ezekiel 16 where God, through the prophet, describes how He rescued a lost, despised, and hopeless people (Israel), giving them life and identity as His own children. Using the parable of an abandoned newborn, God illustrates how He rescued and raised the rejected infant to maturity, only to have the child devote its heart to a foreign god (Ezk 16:1-19). In their idolatry, God’s people turned even to the literal sacrifice of their children.

“Moreover, you took your sons and daughters whom you had borne to Me and sacrificed them to idols to be devoured. Were your harlotries so small a matter? You slaughtered My children and offered them up to idols by causing them to pass through the fire” (Ezk 16:20-21).

When New Testament Christians read of such abominations in Scripture, we often have difficulty relating and fail to see its application. After all we no longer witness children placed in the sacrificial fire to honor Molech or Ashtoreth. But as a biblical counselor I would suggest that idolatry is alive and well and children are indeed offered on the altar of countless “high places.”

The worship of self is primary and has fragmented the biblical home into pockets of individual gratification, personal goals, rights and entitlements. Biblical order is often abandoned because God’s structure interrupts one’s selfish ambition (Phil 2:3-4), calling instead for the glory and magnification of God above all else (Mark 12:30).

Too often I counsel with Christian believers who are suffering the spiritual and physical consequences of disobedience, yet fail to understand their misplaced focus.

There is the professional father worshiping at the idol of power and influence who is confused when he has no authority and impact with his wife and children. His wife controls the home and disregards his input. His children are rebellious and disrespectful. He complains: “I am respected everywhere except my own home.”
    There is the wife and mother devoted to beauty, fitness, social status, professional life, and “having it all” who continually feels empty, unfulfilled, and out of place. Her children are being treated for ADHD because they are distracted, disruptive, and underachieving. She laments: “I have everything I ever wanted…but I am miserable.”
    There is the man who kneels at the tower of lust but is never satisfied. He is preoccupied, obsessed, and controlled by this single longing; yet he expects his teenagers to be chaste. He can’t understand why his 16 year-old daughter is pregnant. He complains: “My children were raised in church and should know better.”
    There is the single mother who worships her current suitor; any man who might become her next husband. After all, she is entitled to be happy and her children need a father. Although she is a Christian she engages in sex outside of marriage and exposes her little ones to men who are not trustworthy. She is shocked to learn that her last boyfriend molested her son. She proclaims: “How could this happen…I am a good mother just trying to have a life of my own!”
    And there is the man who abandons his family because he lacks “chemistry” with his wife. His god is self-entitlement and his salvation is his own gratification. He sees his children less and less because they won’t accept his new girlfriend. He warns the kids: “You are going to have to adjust to my life if we are going to see each other. My new relationship comes first and you are going to have to grow up.”

I know this all sounds extreme…but each scenario comes from within the church. Each involves professing believers who have fallen subject to idolatry and their children are paying the consequence. It is a problem as old as the earth and yet to claim commonality with other sinners is simply unacceptable...

https://bcinstitute.com/false-gods-and-the-sacrifice-of-children/

And those were the "good old days."

non sumus stulti
but
accidit stercore

IP Logged

Seawolf
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker

Reply #2 - May 20th, 2018 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
EF wrote on May 20th, 2018 at 12:28pm:
And those were the "good old days."

And the proverbs says there is nothing new under the sun.

"Without morals a republic cannot subsist any length of time; they therefore who are decrying the Christian religion, whose morality is so sublime and pure (and) which insures to the good eternal happiness, are undermining the solid foundation of morals, the best security for the duration of free governments."

IP Logged

EF
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #3 - May 20th, 2018 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
Seawolf wrote on May 20th, 2018 at 3:23pm:
And the proverbs says there is nothing new under the sun.

Yep.  And some of us continue to rue that things ain't like they used to be, failing to realize they never were.
« Last Edit: May 20th, 2018 at 6:30pm by EF »  

non sumus stulti
but
accidit stercore

IP Logged

Seawolf
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker

Reply #4 - May 20th, 2018 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
EF wrote on May 20th, 2018 at 5:59pm:
Yep.  And some of us continue to rue that things ain't like they used to be, failing to realize they never were.

Let's you and I be honest and admit the enemy has taken the old sacrifice of children to a false god and given it a whole new twist.

IP Logged

EF
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #5 - May 20th, 2018 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
Seawolf wrote on May 20th, 2018 at 8:33pm:
Let's you and I be honest and admit the enemy has taken the old sacrifice of children to a false god and given it a whole new twist.

I don't agree.

non sumus stulti
but
accidit stercore

IP Logged

Seawolf
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker

Reply #6 - May 20th, 2018 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
EF wrote on May 20th, 2018 at 9:45pm:
I don't agree.

Explain, I think the piece ties it all together rather well.  We sacrifice our children to the god of self, we are not that different then those of Biblical times who sacrificed their children to the god of Baal.  Either way it is the god of this world, Satan.  He has taken what was done in the Biblical times and twisted it to be a "woman's right to choose"  when in reality it violates the 6th Commandment, no different then what Israel did.

IP Logged

EF
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #7 - May 21st, 2018 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Seawolf wrote on May 20th, 2018 at 10:35pm:
Explain, I think the piece ties it all together rather well.  We sacrifice our children to the god of self, we are not that different then those of Biblical times who sacrificed their children to the god of Baal.  Either way it is the god of this world, Satan.  He has taken what was done in the Biblical times and twisted it to be a "woman's right to choose"  when in reality it violates the 6th Commandment, no different then what Israel did.

I think the piece is mostly purple prose, intended to push and effective at pushing buttons.  Those who sacrificed their children to Baal did so because they thought that a supreme power (Baal) required it or would grant them benefits for it.  Not a big studier of such, but maybe they thought it would end (or prevent) famine.  They were wrong, of course.  Horribly wrong.

non sumus stulti
but
accidit stercore

IP Logged

Seawolf
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker

Reply #8 - May 21st, 2018 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
EF wrote on May 21st, 2018 at 6:16pm:
I think the piece is mostly purple prose, intended to push and effective at pushing buttons.  Those who sacrificed their children to Baal did so because they thought that a supreme power (Baal) required it or would grant them benefits for it.  Not a big studier of such, but maybe they thought it would end (or prevent) famine.  They were wrong, of course.  Horribly wrong.

And so are we because we sacrifice our children to the god of self, I see similarities between the two.  There simply is no justification, short of saving the mother that is acceptable to God for the murdering of children.  Now maybe you know a verse that states otherwise but I have yet to see one where he gave an exception to the mother.

IP Logged

EF
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #9 - May 22nd, 2018 at 10:23am
Print Post  
Seawolf wrote on May 21st, 2018 at 8:50pm:
And so are we because we sacrifice our children to the god of self, I see similarities between the two.  There simply is no justification, short of saving the mother that is acceptable to God for the murdering of children.  Now maybe you know a verse that states otherwise but I have yet to see one where he gave an exception to the mother.

He did not mention abortion at all.  But my stand on the issue of abortion is related to secular law, not religion. 

Secular law allows a lot of things that are not acceptable to God.  Among them are: taking God's name in vain, not honoring the Sabbath, dishonoring one's parents, adultery, and envy.  There are others.  Our founders did not intend to create a Taliban like government. 

non sumus stulti
but
accidit stercore

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereChristian Forum › False gods and the Sacrifice of Children

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules