Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Trump Blasts ‘Very Dishonest and Weak’ Trudeau for ‘False Statements’ on Trade
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Trump Blasts ‘Very Dishonest and Weak’ Trudeau for ‘False Statements’ on Trade (Read 498 times)
petep
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

Re: Trump Blasts ‘Very Dishonest and Weak’ Trudeau for ‘False Statements’ on Trade
Reply #20 - Jun 11th, 2018 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
So why didn’t the other countries jump all over the idea of no tariffs in any direction? Simple question. I mean if it’s so unfair to them as is, they should be all over this idea.

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Re: Trump Blasts ‘Very Dishonest and Weak’ Trudeau for ‘False Statements’ on Trade
Reply #21 - Jun 11th, 2018 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
forgotten centrist wrote on Jun 11th, 2018 at 10:58am:
In the US, the government subsidizes farmers, to smooth out the inevitable bumps in agricultural supply and demand.

A holdover from the 30s.  A system that has been obsolete for some time now.

Milking taxpayers - The Economist - Feb, 2015

American farm subsidies are egregiously expensive, harvesting $20 billion a year from taxpayers’ pockets. Most of the money goes to big, rich farmers producing staple commodities such as corn and soyabeans in states such as Iowa.

Few politicians are inclined to vote against farm subsidies: though farmers make up only a small number of voters, even in agricultural states, they are loud and organised enough to punish lawmakers who vote against a farm bill. Opposition to spending is muted; few voters realise how much of their money is given to farmers and even fewer would change their vote because of it.

Mostly, farmers just use their checks from the government to pay their tax bill.   One of the most entertaining parts of client meetings with farmers was to listen to them bitch about all the people on welfare.  The inevitable first 20 minutes of any such meeting with a farmer.  And then go through their $130,000 in checks from the federal government to properly report it on line 6b of the schedule F.

It's a subsidy that should have died quite some time ago.

The mere existence of a subsidy is not an effective argument for that subsidy's existence.

Queshank

BowHunter wrote on Nov 30th, 2017 at 10:24am:
I am not aware of any article

IP Logged

forgotten centrist
LNF Speaker

bring back the middle
class!

Reply #22 - Jun 11th, 2018 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
Queshank wrote on Jun 11th, 2018 at 1:54pm:
The mere existence of a subsidy is not an effective argument for that subsidy's existence.

Like I said, it's not necessarily a bad idea.  But it will directly hit many of Trump's main supporters.  I'm not sure he's aware of that.

In a way, Canada's system is more appropriate.  In the US, we are using general tax funds to subsidize agriculture commodities, keeping prices low.  This means everyone gets charged, but only the buyers benefit.

In Canada, they boost prices to protect farmers.  This means only buyers get charged to support farm stability.  It sources the subsidy directly from those who buy the product.

My own opinion is that commercial crop insurance ought to be sufficient to handle the task of evening out crop pricing.  If the government weren't doing it, we'd still have people figuring this out.

2017 dream team (junior member)
and now as friendly as Jasmine!

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #23 - Jun 11th, 2018 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
forgotten centrist wrote on Jun 11th, 2018 at 2:00pm:
Like I said, it's not necessarily a bad idea.  But it will directly hit many of Trump's main supporters.  I'm not sure he's aware of that.

I think that's easily handled by shaming farmers as Welfare Queens Smiley  Because they are.  And they do feel shame.  I always made a point of going through the "checks from the ... government ..." as I went through farmers' bookwork.  The ones who bitched the loudest about whatever bullshit they saw on Sean Hannity the night before were the ones I made sure to say "Another check from the government?"

I've heard many farmers say that program should be done away with.  But also admit if the money's going to just sit there they're going to grab a piece of it.

I'm also pretty skeptical Trump's "not" "aware of that."  I think people focused on the farmer vote are ignoring how much more important other issues are to them.  The Trumplicans will lock up the farmer vote just by referencing Muslim terrorists and gays.  Let's not forget, when "the left" talks about American Nazis, they're pretty much referencing farmers.  I would argue Farmer's Union spokesmen might not be speaking for all farmers ... or in fact very many.

Quote:
In a way, Canada's system is more appropriate.  In the US, we are using general tax funds to subsidize agriculture commodities, keeping prices low.  This means everyone gets charged, but only the buyers benefit.

In Canada, they boost prices to protect farmers.  This means only buyers get charged to support farm stability.  It sources the subsidy directly from those who buy the product.

You've convinced me.  I was initially going to argue that both are bad, but you're right.  People who want milk should be the ones who pay for it.  And frankly, convincing people through higher prices to make other choices besides milk isn't necessarily a bad idea.  The reason so much milk is in every household is probably because of the artificially low prices.  (which would probably be lower ...)

Quote:
My own opinion is that commercial crop insurance ought to be sufficient to handle the task of evening out crop pricing.  If the government weren't doing it, we'd still have people figuring this out.

And it is.  It doesn't even take much for a farmer to receive insurance benefits for a damaged crop.  And they aren't even supposed to try to harvest any to reclaim any of it ... they plow the affected acreage under.

Queshank

BowHunter wrote on Nov 30th, 2017 at 10:24am:
I am not aware of any article

IP Logged

Ulysses
LNF House Leader
LNF Bunker

¡RESIST!

Reply #24 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 3:29am
Print Post  
forgotten centrist wrote on Jun 11th, 2018 at 2:00pm:

The advantage to the American way of doing it is that while boosting food prices is a regressive form of taxation, subsidizing food producers with general tax receipts is a progressive way of doing it. This way the lower income classes have to pay less for the food they eat, instead of more.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, carrying a cross, and wearing road kill as a toupée

IP Logged

Vypr
LNF Majority Leader

Tribunal of the Holy Office
of the Inquisition

Reply #25 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 3:41am
Print Post  
petep wrote on Jun 11th, 2018 at 1:51pm:
So why didn’t the other countries jump all over the idea of no tariffs in any direction? Simple question. I mean if it’s so unfair to them as is, they should be all over this idea.

Because Trump wasn't serious. He "floats" all kind of shit because he is stream of consciousness. He rarely if ever thinks through what he's talking. He just spouts whatever floated to the top of his head. His followers latch onto it as though he's a genius (a GENIUS I TELL YOU!) when in reality it's just more bullshit.

RWB wrote on Nov 15th, 2017 at 9:32am:
Trump's an idiot everyone knows that

RWB wrote on Jan 27th, 2018 at 2:30pm:
I believe without a doubt Donald Trump is a sexual harasser

IP Logged

petep
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

Reply #26 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
Didn’t u write something similar about the n Korea meeting some time ago. And look. It happened.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Trump Blasts ‘Very Dishonest and Weak’ Trudeau for ‘False Statements’ on Trade

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules