Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Seattle may pull ‘head tax’ after Amazon, Starbucks cry foul
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Seattle may pull ‘head tax’ after Amazon, Starbucks cry foul (Read 85 times)
AmericanMom
LNF Representative2

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Seattle may pull ‘head tax’ after Amazon, Starbucks cry foul
Jun 12th, 2018 at 8:45am
Print Post  
hmm... this is a quick turn around to something that was passed with unanimous city council support yet some few weeks later they are already seeking to repeal their own decision...  Could it be they were told stuff it by the companies this would have effected?? 

Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan and city council members on Monday said they would consider legislation to repeal a “head tax” on the city’s large businesses, just weeks after the measure’s passage drew public criticism from Amazon, Starbucks and others.

Backed by Durkan and seven of the nine members of the Seattle City Council, the repeal effort is underway despite the tax’s unanimous passage on May 14. The approved version of Seattle’s “head tax” had called for large employers to contribute $275 per employee annually in an effort to raise roughly $50 million per year toward efforts to address Seattle’s growing homelessness crisis through affordable housing and outreach efforts.

“It is clear that the ordinance will lead to a prolonged, expensive political fight over the next five months that will do nothing to tackle our urgent housing and homelessness crisis,” Durkan and the council members said in a statement. “These challenges can only be addressed together as a city, and as importantly, as a state and a region.”

Seattle City Council President Bruce Harrell is set to sponsor the repeal legislation at a special meeting on Tuesday. The council’s members are also expected to hold a vote at the meeting.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/seattle-may-pull-head-tax-after-amazon-starb...

IP Logged

Rabbit_Reborn
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

2015 Poster of the Year.
Election stolen 2016.

Re: Seattle may pull ‘head tax’ after Amazon, Starbucks cry foul
Reply #1 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 8:51am
Print Post  
Got to hit back early against the state.

Because after a long enough period of time, the taxes would have become permanent, and any push-back would have been met with cries about the indignity of taking money away from those who most need it.

Despite the fact that the tax would have done nothing to alleviate the problem.

Nothing.

Wadsworth wrote on Jun 11th, 2018 at 3:40pm:
You are awfully concerned about who gets to live.  Why is it so important to you?

IP Logged

AmericanMom
LNF Representative2

Reply #2 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 8:56am
Print Post  
Rabbit_Reborn wrote on Jun 12th, 2018 at 8:51am:
Got to hit back early against the state.

Because after a long enough period of time, the taxes would have become permanent, and any push-back would have been met with cries about the indignity of taking money away from those who most need it.

Despite the fact that the tax would have done nothing to alleviate the problem.

Nothing.

In reading comments about this proposed decision there already is cries of "what about the poor"
   Like with any tax set to "help" the poor, as you said, it would have done nothing to fix the problem, I live near Eugene, Oregon and they have an overwhelming homeless problem. The city has created an atmosphere where the homeless are welcome, downtown is not the beautiful friendly place it once was and business owners and residents are fed up with the cities attitude about the whole mess.

IP Logged

admin
LNF Administrator

To contact Admin send
a PM

Reply #3 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
- companies said they would leave

Welcome to the Liberty News Forum - News and Political Discussion Forum.
IP Logged

USyeah
LNF House Leader

Reply #4 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 10:23pm
Print Post  

POOF it's gone

" The Seattle City Council on Tuesday repealed a newly enacted “head tax” on the city’s largest companies, including Amazon.com, in the face of seemingly insurmountable big-business opposition to a revenue measure meant to combat homelessness."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-seattle-tax/seattle-city-council-repeals-head...

IP Logged

Jasmine
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker
Conservative Caucus

God Bless America!

Reply #5 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 5:36am
Print Post  
Good news. There may be hope for that city after all.

Mar 13th, 2018 at 11:23am: "I think a #16 seed will upset a #1 seed in the NCAA Tournament."

IP Logged

Luther
LNF House Leader

Reply #6 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 6:57am
Print Post  
Jasmine wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 5:36am:

No Roll Eyes

All throughout our American history, world history, "ordinary people can do extraordinary things"

un·known quan·ti·ty
noun
a person or thing whose nature, value, or significance cannot be determined or is not yet known.

IP Logged

Jiminy Cricket
LNF Representative

Reply #7 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 7:26am
Print Post  
Cow tow to the edicts of corporate America? Never! Let's watch those companies leave. That'll teach ' 'em. We don't need no stink in' companies! Resist the capitalists.

IP Logged

Fuddy Duddy
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #8 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 9:44am
Print Post  
Jasmine wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 5:36am:

There will be an uprising.  That psycho tax will be the straw, and force people to look at what the council is doing.  That dumb mayor knowing it was a bad idea tried to provide herself cover by saying "well, if the council votes overwhelmingly I will sign it".  PSHAW! 

I believe that I am the only one on her that ACTUALLY has a city of Seattle address, so based on BLM rules, I am the only one allowed to speak on it, and what I say is accurate.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Seattle may pull ‘head tax’ after Amazon, Starbucks cry foul

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules