Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Ben Bernanke: Economy going "over the cliff" by 2020
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Ben Bernanke: Economy going "over the cliff" by 2020 (Read 383 times)
TowardLiberty
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

anti-state, anti-war and
pro-market

Re: Ben Bernanke: Economy going "over the cliff" by 2020
Reply #20 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
Queshank wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 1:16pm:
How Bernanke's Fed Triggered the Great Recession - Forbes - July 2011

How did Bernanke create this horrible morass? First, in 2006-2007 he deliberately inverted the Treasury yield curve, even while knowing it would cause a recession and credit-financial crisis. Second, he imposed on the reeling economy a $1.7 trillion flood of "quantitative easing" (QE), euphemistic for the hazardous policy of money-printing. His first policy caused economic stagnation, his second policy caused monetary inflation, and combined, his policies have generated "stagflation" -- the corrosive mix last seen in the 1970s. It's the direct opposite of the supply-side polices (pro-growth, sound-money) that made the 1980s and 1990s so prosperous.[/i]

Queshank

Yikes. Can you believe Forbes published this piece?!

I'll take each point one by one.

The idea that Bernanke deliberately inverted the yield curve is silly. Fed tightening policy put a damper on future growth expectations and that is what sent people into the 10 year, as a flight to safety, and that led to a decrease in yields for the 10 year, thus resulting in an inverted yield curve.

That's not Bernanke's doing. That is Greenspan. Bernanke did not become chairman until 06, when the Fed had reached the end of its tightening cycle.

Secondly, QE did not cause the crisis, it was a response to the crisis. Now we can debate the merits of QE but the fact is the crisis came first.

I am shocked to see the Forbes folks get the facts so wrong on such a simple point.

As to the analysis of what these policies actually accomplished, I would tend to agree with the article. Their use of theory is fine but their grasp of the facts is tenuous.

Open Trade, Open Borders, Taco Trucks on Every Corner

IP Logged

TowardLiberty
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

anti-state, anti-war and
pro-market

Reply #21 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
Queshank wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 1:23pm:
You're right I mispoke.  It's not the capital R Reason, but is one of many reasons.  I more meant it's the best mile marker.

And it is deteriorating.  Which lends credibility to Bernanke's observations.  I should point out I'm not arguing that Bernanke is wrong.  Just trying to get the whole picture.

Queshank

Understood. And for that it is a great tool. And like you say, lends some credibility to his prediction.

The other thing that leads credibility to it is the fact that Fed has never engaged in tightening that didn't slow down economic activity. A soft landing does not appear to be in the cards, historically speaking.

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #22 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
TowardLiberty wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 1:33pm:
Yikes. Can you believe Forbes published this piece?!

Right???! lol

Quote:
I'll take each point one by one.

The idea that Bernanke deliberately inverted the yield curve is silly. Fed tightening policy put a damper on future growth expectations and that is what sent people into the 10 year, as a flight to safety, and that led to a decrease in yields for the 10 year, thus resulted in an inverted yield curve.

That's not Bernanke's doing. That is Greenspan. Bernanke did not become chairman until 06, when the Fed had reached the end of its tightening cycle.

Secondly, QE did not cause the crisis, it was a response to the crisis. Now we can debate the merits of QE but the fact is the crisis came first.

I am shocked to see the Forbes folks get the facts so wrong on such a simple point.

As to the analysis of what these policies actually accomplished, I would tend to agree with the article. Their use of theory is fine but their grasp of the facts is tenuous.

Most people blame Greenspan when they point to the Fed.  Not Bernanke.  I actually thought it was entertaining this one guy holds this opinion.  He really is the only one.  I've researched him to try to figure out his political biases but he looks like he hasn't published much since 2011.  Wonder why...

Queshank

BowHunter wrote on Nov 30th, 2017 at 10:24am:
I am not aware of any article

IP Logged

TowardLiberty
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

anti-state, anti-war and
pro-market

Reply #23 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
Queshank wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 1:37pm:
Right???! lol

Most people blame Greenspan when they point to the Fed.  Not Bernanke.  I actually thought it was entertaining this one guy holds this opinion.  He really is the only one.  I've researched him to try to figure out his political biases but he looks like he hasn't published much since 2011.  Wonder why...

Queshank

Well, it gives me hope. If this guy can get published at Forbes, maybe I should apply to be an editor or something. lol

IP Logged

TowardLiberty
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

anti-state, anti-war and
pro-market

Reply #24 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
I check into him a little more and he does seem like a curious fellow. I wonder what other ideas he has.

Link me if you find anything.

IP Logged

patrick2
LNF Speaker

Reply #25 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
Ulysses wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 12:53pm:
And none of those quotes show that Bernanke was responsible for the US housing and financial meltdown of 2008.

You missed the point, megabrain.  Smiley  He made stupid predictions in the past that were wildly wrong, and now here he's making predictions again.

IP Logged

USyeah
LNF House Leader

Reply #26 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 8:06pm
Print Post  

one is not an economist unless they have made completely wrong predictions.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Ben Bernanke: Economy going "over the cliff" by 2020

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules