Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Legitimacy?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Legitimacy? (Read 1,475 times)
Ulysses
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Bert plays with himself

Re: Legitimacy?
Reply #60 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
Queshank wrote on Jun 14th, 2018 at 3:07pm:
First you tell me why you think I'm arguing with myself.

I can think Ivanka and Donald's business dealings in China and Asia and well ... everywhere around the world are complicated and rife with the potential for ethical misconduct AND think only the rabid partisan left gives a shit at the same time. 

It's not a problem for me. 

What I'm genuinely confused by is why it's a problem for you and the rest of the board leftists.

Queshank

IP Logged

Wadsworth
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #61 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
Ulysses wrote on Jun 14th, 2018 at 3:58pm:

That explains it. Smiley

The most ridiculous statement ever from Lomelis
Lomelis wrote on Nov 8th, 2019 at 3:03am:
This is why people need to turn against the gov in general.  Only going to get worse.

IP Logged

Ulysses
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Bert plays with himself

Reply #62 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 4:16pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

petep
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

Reply #63 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
I’ve learned one thing from this thread. Wads keeps getting schooled by TL and he doesn’t even understand it.

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #64 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
Ulysses wrote on Jun 14th, 2018 at 3:58pm:

Ulysses wrote on Jun 14th, 2018 at 4:16pm:

Wow.

I wish I could laugh but this is just sad Ulysses.  I didn't realize you were one of those old guys sitting in a recliner with an afghan watching infomercials late into the night.  Now I feel bad for judging you by the standards I would judge a peer.

Daniel Amen

John Seibyl of the Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging has stated that there is no debate that SPECT is not valuable for diagnosing psychological disorders. 

Questions have been raised about the ethics of selling SPECT scans on the basis of unproven claims: neuroscience professor Martha Farah calls such use "profitable but unproven" and says "Tens of thousands of individuals, many of them children, have been exposed to the radiation of two SPECT scans and paid thousands of dollars out of pocket (because insurers will not pay) against the advice of many experts".

Professor of psychology Irving Kirsch has said of Amen's theory: "Before you start promulgating this and marketing it and profiting from it, you should ethically be bound to demonstrate it scientifically in a peer-reviewed, respected journal" as otherwise "you're just going down the path of being a snake oil salesman".

In a 2011 paper the neuroscientist Anjan Chatterjee discussed example cases that were found on the Amen Clinic's website including a couple with marital difficulties and a child with impulsive aggression. The paper noted that the examples "violate the standard of care" because a normal clinical diagnosis would have been sufficient and that there "was no reason to obtain functional neuroimaging for diagnostic purposes in these cases." Most patients do not realize that the SPECT scans rely on unproven claims.

As reported by the Washington Post in 2012, officials at major psychiatric and neuroscience associations and research centers see Amen's claims for the use of SPECT as "no more than myth and poppycock, buffaloing an unsuspecting public."

In 2012, The Washington Post Magazine ran a cover story titled "Daniel Amen is the most popular psychiatrist in America. To most researchers and scientists, that's a very bad thing."

The Washington Post detailed Amen's lack of acceptance among the scientific community and his monetary conflict of interest.

Journalist Sanjiv Bhattacharya wrote that Amen's critics likened him "to a self-help guru rather than a scientist, on account of all the books, DVDs and nutritional supplements which he hawks so shamelessly on infomercials" and that Amen was "the most controversial psychiatrist in America [who] may also be the most commercially successful." Amen has responded to such criticism by claiming that the criticism comes jealousy of his financial success and also claiming that his largest source of referrals is from previous patients.

In 2008, Tufts professor and author Daniel Carlat published an article on Amen's use of SPECT imaging. After visiting Amen's clinics, Carlat called Amen's interpretations of the scans "spectacularly meaningless."

You've found the Donald Trump of cognitive science.  Well done you. 

What a great example for how well those techniques work on the spongy minded low information voters of America.  I'm honestly going to bookmark this thread for future attempts at convincing my leftist brethren what they're up against with Trump and how easy it is for people to walk waaaay out there on a limb by following a trail of confirmation bias.  Thank you for this gift Ulysses. 

Queshank

The question isn't whether or not we're descended from monkeys.  The question is, when are we going to stop descending?

IP Logged

Ulysses
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Bert plays with himself

Reply #65 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
Q doesn't realize that the euphoria he gets from pot mostly results from the decreased brain activity it causes... so those troubling thoughts prompted by reality don't intrude on his waking slumber state.

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #66 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
Ulysses wrote on Jun 14th, 2018 at 4:45pm:
Q doesn't realize that the euphoria he gets from pot mostly results from the decreased brain activity it causes... so those troubling thoughts prompted by reality don't intrude on his waking slumber state.

You're right Ulysses.  Thank you for your contributions and your concern for my well being.

Queshank

The question isn't whether or not we're descended from monkeys.  The question is, when are we going to stop descending?

IP Logged

Ulysses
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Bert plays with himself

Reply #67 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 5:20pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Wadsworth
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #68 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
petep wrote on Jun 14th, 2018 at 4:20pm:
I’ve learned one thing from this thread. Wads keeps getting schooled by TL and he doesn’t even understand it.

Sad that you think that way.

This is why people need to turn against the gov in general.  Only going to get worse.

IP Logged

Wadsworth
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #69 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
TowardLiberty wrote on Jun 14th, 2018 at 3:49pm:
I'm not angry!!! You're the angry one!!!

lol

You are so entertaining TL.  If your goal is to anger me, then you have failed miserably.  I would say that the one who is trolling the other is the angry bird

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Legitimacy?

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog