Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Solar installations in US now bigger than all other types combined
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Solar installations in US now bigger than all other types combined (Read 392 times)
billy.pilgrim
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Re: Solar installations in US now bigger than all other types combined
Reply #10 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 8:50am
Print Post  
Rabbit_Reborn wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 7:49am:
Yikes. Doesn't that seem inefficient?

If solar is producing far fewer gigawatts than other forms of energy, why does it take so many more jobs to get that done?

I'm not asking to be combative or antagonistic, just looking at it from a 40,000 foot view.

For the record, I hope solar becomes more available and more efficient. I don't care about that.

You should have backed up a lot further.

Why is it inefficient to have labor represent a larger portion of the cost of energy?

With oil (and somewhat differently, nuclear) and coal you have mostly huge corporations using up natural resources and extracting huge profits while putting little back into the economy and often leaving a mess for taxpayers to clean up (for tens of thousands of years with nuclear).

Almost seems like it could be a card from the  recipe book on how to destroy the middle class while building an aristocracy.

the wis-dum of acrhie
"I am sure Trump is like me."
"There is no capitalism under Obama’s rule. He is a fu8&^ communist."

IP Logged

Fiddler
LNF Representative3

Trolls exterminated while
you wait ...

Reply #11 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 9:22am
Print Post  
Jiminy Cricket wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 7:35am:
I think it should be mentioned that there are environmental issues associated with solar power...such as that the panels don't last forever and some (maybe all) contain heavy metals that are toxic. 

The panels don't last forever but they do have a 20-30 year life where they produce at least 80% of their rated power.  And as other semiconductors, they do contain heavy metals but unlike coal, that releases lead, mercury, cadmium and arsenic, as well as radioactive isotopes into the environment (there's no such thing as "clean coal"), the toxins in the production of photovoltaics and in the semiconductors themselves are contained.

Another consideration is that the materials for solar cells are mined once where as coal is continuously mined. 

Studies from the Norwegian University of Science and Technology support this..

But over time, the environmental impact of extracting those raw materials declines, pollution decreases and the total quantity of those materials likely needed for renewables is a fraction of the volume of those materials being mined today, the study says.
“I was surprised that all the pollution went down for renewables,” the study’s lead author, Edgar Hertwich, an energy and process engineering professor at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology, told Climate Central. “I expected some of the toxics might be rising because of the materials used. Metal ores contain a lot of heavy metals. I expected that to be significant. I was really surprised it didn’t show up.”

They will need to go to land fills to be buried.

Again, the toxins you're concerned with are contained.. bound within the semiconductors.  Coal releases it's byproducts into the environment.

Solar panels can be anchored to roofs that may be damaged during wind storms, or they take up large areas of land to generate sufficient energy.

When compared with the land impacted by the mining of coal, alternate energies are orders of magnitude less..

IP Logged

Rabbit_Reborn
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

2015 Poster of the Year.
Election stolen 2016.

Reply #12 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 9:32am
Print Post  
billy.pilgrim wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 8:50am:
You should have backed up a lot further.

Why is it inefficient to have labor represent a larger portion of the cost of energy?

Because that's generally true, unless it can be explained otherwise.

200 years ago, around 80-90% of people worked in an industry related to agriculture and food production, distribution, etc.

Now that's more around 2-3%.

That's how things go when things become more efficient.

It rarely works backwards. I need an explanation on why this would be a good thing.

With oil (and somewhat differently, nuclear) and coal you have mostly huge corporations using up natural resources and extracting huge profits while putting little back into the economy and often leaving a mess for taxpayers to clean up (for tens of thousands of years with nuclear).

Oil companies are back in the black now, but have many cycles where they go deep into the red. 2015 wasn't profitable for any of them.

As for "putting little back into the economy", I think you're just 100% wrong on this. The oil companies are, primarily, publicly owned and pay pretty strong dividends when times are good. What is it you think they're doing with these "huge profits" compared to other companies?

Almost seems like it could be a card from the  recipe book on how to destroy the middle class while building an aristocracy.

Hydrocarbons are one of the fundamental reasons we live as we do today instead of how they lived from 200,000 years ago up until the 1700s.

Wadsworth wrote on Jun 11th, 2018 at 3:40pm:
You are awfully concerned about who gets to live.  Why is it so important to you?

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #13 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 9:42am
Print Post  
Rabbit_Reborn wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 9:32am:

200 years ago, around 80-90% of people worked in an industry related to agriculture and food production, distribution, etc.

It rarely works backwards. I need an explanation on why this would be a good thing.

Could one make the argument we're replacing the consumption of finite resources with the consumption of sweat labor?  A new dynamic that perhaps works out well for our burgeoning world population?  (I have no crappity smacking idea what I'm talking about here.)

Queshank

BowHunter wrote on Nov 30th, 2017 at 10:24am:
I am not aware of any article

IP Logged

forgotten centrist
LNF Speaker

bring back the middle
class!

Reply #14 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 10:01am
Print Post  
Kudos to Jiminy Cricket for pointing out that we ought to assess the full impact of solar.  But then we have to assess the full impact of fossils, too.  As others have pointed out, there are many external costs of fossils:
- significant pollution
- acid rain, smog, and particulates
- mercury runoff
- ash containment
- strip-mining and mountaintop-removal mining
- water contamination from fracking
- fossil profits funding rogue states
- oil spills
- transportation risks
- dependence on transnational corporations
- vulnerability to commodity speculation bubbles

And this doesn't even mention global warming or the trillions we just dropped in Iraq to bolster global oil security.

As for the concern that solar is a high-labor energy sector, why is that a bad thing?  If the cost per-kilowatt is competitive, why is it bad that it relies on more labor?  Instead of paying for commodity speculation and capital-intensive costs (refineries, extraction, etc), we'd be paying labor-intensive costs.

I'd rather we have workers earning the money than commodity speculators.

2017 dream team (junior member)
and now as friendly as Jasmine!

IP Logged

Wadsworth
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #15 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 10:06am
Print Post  
patrick2 wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 2:05am:
Solar remains a very small piddling contributor to US energy:

https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/images/charts/energy_consumption_by_source_l...

But it will grow

Jasmine wrote on May 6th, 2018 at 7:43pm:
Yes, I heard about this. Just goes to show McLame’s true loyalties. Hopefully, Trump won’t go to his funeral very, very soon.

TowardLiberty wrote on Mar 29th, 2018 at 8:34pm:
I'll try but it might be beyond my ability. Insulting is "like 90% of what I do here."

IP Logged

Wadsworth
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #16 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 10:07am
Print Post  
Luther wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 6:47am:
Did anyone notice renewable energy  isn't far from the coal numbers?

Coal is dying and renewable is growing

Yes, I heard about this. Just goes to show McLame’s true loyalties. Hopefully, Trump won’t go to his funeral very, very soon.

I'll try but it might be beyond my ability. Insulting is "like 90% of what I do here."

IP Logged

Wadsworth
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #17 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 10:10am
Print Post  
Rabbit_Reborn wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 7:49am:
Yikes. Doesn't that seem inefficient?

If solar is producing far fewer gigawatts than other forms of energy, why does it take so many more jobs to get that done?

I'm not asking to be combative or antagonistic, just looking at it from a 40,000 foot view.

For the record, I hope solar becomes more available and more efficient. I don't care about that.

More than likely it will become more available and more efficient.  Many in my neighborhood already had them installed.  They are very happy with the money they are saving.

IP Logged

billy.pilgrim
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #18 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 10:26am
Print Post  
Queshank wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 9:42am:
Could one make the argument we're replacing the consumption of finite resources with the consumption of sweat labor?  A new dynamic that perhaps works out well for our burgeoning world population?  (I have no crappity smacking idea what I'm talking about here.)

Queshank

Every now and then we agree

the wis-dum of acrhie

IP Logged

billy.pilgrim
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #19 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 10:28am
Print Post  
Rabbit_Reborn wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 9:32am:

Oil companies are back in the black now, but have many cycles where they go deep into the red. 2015 wasn't profitable for any of them.

As for "putting little back into the economy", I think you're just 100% wrong on this. The oil companies are, primarily, publicly owned and pay pretty strong dividends when times are good. What is it you think they're doing with these "huge profits" compared to other companies?

Hydrocarbons are one of the fundamental reasons we live as we do today instead of how they lived from 200,000 years ago up until the 1700s.

You're still at 40,000 ft. Drop back to 93,000,000 miles to see fundamental reason.

the wis-dum of acrhie

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Solar installations in US now bigger than all other types combined

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules