Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Trump = Chamberlain
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Trump = Chamberlain (Read 528 times)
forgotten centrist
LNF Speaker

bring back the middle
class!

Trump = Chamberlain
Jun 13th, 2018 at 10:13am
Print Post  
Neville Chamberlain, 1938, after meeting with Hitler:
"My good friends, this is the second time there has come back from Germany to Downing Street peace with honour. I believe it is peace for our time. We thank you from the bottom of our hearts. Now I recommend you go home, and sleep quietly in your beds."

Donald Trump, today, after meeting with Kim:
"Before taking office people were assuming that we were going to War with North Korea. President Obama said that North Korea was our biggest and most dangerous problem. No longer - sleep well tonight!"

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1006839007492308992

With a nod to Bert, now I will admit that my head is exploding...

2017 dream team (junior member)
and now as friendly as Jasmine!

IP Logged

Seawolf
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Re: Trump = Chamberlain
Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 10:14am
Print Post  
forgotten centrist wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 10:13am:
"My good friends, this is the second time there has come back from Germany to Downing Street peace with honour. I believe it is peace for our time. We thank you from the bottom of our hearts. Now I recommend you go home, and sleep quietly in your beds."

"Before taking office people were assuming that we were going to War with North Korea. President Obama said that North Korea was our biggest and most dangerous problem. No longer - sleep well tonight!"

Did I miss breaking news?   Undecided

"Without morals a republic cannot subsist any length of time; they therefore who are decrying the Christian religion, whose morality is so sublime and pure (and) which insures to the good eternal happiness, are undermining the solid foundation of morals, the best security for the duration of free governments."

Charles Carroll, signer of the DOI

IP Logged

Seawolf
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #2 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 10:16am
Print Post  
I can not believe that so many of you are so oblivious of your dual standards on this issue.  You and others were trying to point out that Trumps belligerent attitude towards NK would lead us to war.  Now it is his efforts at peace that will lead us to war.  It is simply amusing to watch the change of course mid stream.

"Without morals a republic cannot subsist any length of time; they therefore who are decrying the Christian religion, whose morality is so sublime and pure (and) which insures to the good eternal happiness, are undermining the solid foundation of morals, the best security for the duration of free governments."

Charles Carroll, signer of the DOI

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #3 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 10:17am
Print Post  
JFC

The left has become so similar to the right now they're even stealing their talking points about pissant countries.

Queshank

BowHunter wrote on Nov 30th, 2017 at 10:24am:
I am not aware of any article

IP Logged

Rabbit_Reborn
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

2015 Poster of the Year.
Election stolen 2016.

Reply #4 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 10:51am
Print Post  
forgotten centrist wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 10:13am:

Lol.

Wadsworth wrote on Jun 11th, 2018 at 3:40pm:
You are awfully concerned about who gets to live.  Why is it so important to you?

IP Logged

forgotten centrist
LNF Speaker

bring back the middle
class!

Reply #5 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 10:56am
Print Post  
we've discussed the particulars around the Rocket-man/Dotard summit in other threads.  I was just boggling here at Trump's lack of historical awareness.  This is one of the major quotes around one of the major events in history, and he is practically repeating Chamberlain, unaware that he is doing so.

Sad!

2017 dream team (junior member)
and now as friendly as Jasmine!

IP Logged

Greg55_99
LNF Bunker

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 11:03am
Print Post  
forgotten centrist wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 10:56am:
we've discussed the particulars around the Rocket-man/Dotard summit in other threads.  I was just boggling here at Trump's lack of historical awareness.  This is one of the major quotes around one of the major events in history, and he is practically repeating Chamberlain, unaware that he is doing so.

Sad!

You forgot one from today:

Donald J. Trump
✔  @realDonaldTrump 

Just landed - a long trip, but everybody can now feel much safer than the day I took office. There is no longer a Nuclear Threat from North Korea. Meeting with Kim Jong Un was an interesting and very positive experience. North Korea has great potential for the future!

Jaysus...

Greg

"You want the TRUTH? You can't handle THE TRUTH!!"

IP Logged

Rabbit_Reborn
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

2015 Poster of the Year.
Election stolen 2016.

Reply #7 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 11:07am
Print Post  
If we don't act now to stop the North Korean threat, then there's a chance that in a few years we'll all be speaking Korean.

Wadsworth wrote on Jun 11th, 2018 at 3:40pm:
You are awfully concerned about who gets to live.  Why is it so important to you?

IP Logged

Demos
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Hook 'Em

Reply #8 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 11:35am
Print Post  

How about we inject some more substance into this discussion...

Quote:
The tradition of appeasement in British foreign policy 1865–1939

...Through this paper "Appeasement" will be held to mean the policy of settling international (or, for that matter, domestic) quarrels by admitting and satisfying greivances through rational negotiation and compromise, thereby avoiding the resort to an armed conflict which would be expensive, bloody and possibly very dangerous...

It has been argued in this paper that a 'tradition' of appeasement can be detected in British foreign policy from the mid-nineteenth century onwards, and that this was, in a sense, the 'natural' policy for a small island state gradually losing its place in world affairs, shouldering military and economic burdens which were increasingly too great for it, and developing internally from an oligarchic to a more democratic form of political constitution in which sentiments in favour of pacific and rational settlement of disputes were widely propagated...

"Appeasement" became [after Munich] a word of shame, not pride; a word useful in discrediting one's rivals; conversely, as Eden clearly felt at the time of Suez, a word which had never to be applied to one's own policy if one could possibly help it. It was a sad end for an expression which, in its original form, encapsulated many of the finder aspects of the British political tradition. Even today, while a foreign policy rooted in those traditional elements of morality, economy and prudence may - indeed, is likely to be being - carried out, the last thing its executioners would desire would be to have the word "Appeasement" attached to it.

Source

You can read the whole thing for free on JSTOR (have to register), or probably if you have access through your public library.

IP Logged

Limey.
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #9 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 11:41am
Print Post  
Rabbit_Reborn wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 11:07am:
If we don't act now to stop the North Korean threat, then there's a chance that in a few years we'll all be speaking Korean.

Grin

Under Capitalism, Man exploits Man.

Under Communism, it's the exact opposite.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Trump = Chamberlain

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules