Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereEntertainment Board › Hannah Gadsby's "Nanette"
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Hannah Gadsby's "Nanette" (Read 89 times)
Queshank
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Hannah Gadsby's "Nanette"
Jul 6th, 2018 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
I kept seeing this as "revolutionizing comedy." 

Vox says:

Why Hannah Gadsby’s searing comedy special Nanette has upended comedy for good

USA Today says:

'Nanette': How Hannah Gadsby's Netflix special could revolutionize stand-up comedy

Washington Post:

Why Hannah Gadsby’s Netflix special ‘Nanette’ is so remarkable

Entertainment Weekly:

Hannah Gadsby on breakout success of Nanette and her future in comedy: 'I need to stop'

The Atlantic:

Nanette Is a Radical, Transformative Work of Comedy

Refinery29:

Nanette Is The Netflix Special That's Going To Change Comedy — & The World

NPR:

Hannah Gadsby's 'Nanette' Is A Scorching Piece On Comedy And Trauma

I could go on and on. 

I've watched it.  The first half 3 times with 2 different viewing partners (both women.)  One tapped out bored at the 20 minute mark.  The other was pissed and done watching at the 30 minute mark and only finished watching because of my coercion. The first time I watched it I was unaware it was a political speech masquerading as a comedy special.  So I was caught off guard and my reaction was supremely negative to the out of touch delusional and kind of ignorant rantings of Hannah Gadsby.  The second time I was prepared and watched with more interest.

Short version because I've already done one long review and I'm mentally preparing a complete rebuttal of the piece.  But my reaction is: I don't think anything has driven home more starkly and concretely the vast gulf between the modern leftist and the rest of humanity.  And more importantly ... it has demonstrated just how out of touch our journalists are.  I can't help but wonder in fascination at the "type" of person who views this comedy piece in such a rose colored fashion.  The type of person who thinks only marginalized people struggle, overcome obstacles and work hard to get anywhere in life. 

And I'll go into more detail if there's people who disagree or who have seen it and want to talk about it.

I would love to get more feedback on this piece.  Has anybody here seen it?  I encourage you to go watch it.  I'm curious for the opinions of we common folk rather than the bloviating of the punditry class.

Queshank

BowHunter wrote on Nov 30th, 2017 at 10:24am:
I am not aware of any article

IP Logged

Maestro
Hardhat
The Writer's Croft

Re: Hannah Gadsby's "Nanette"
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
No, I haven't seen it, but now it sounds like you're asking me to torture myself so we can talk about how it felt afterwards...

Maybe I'll watch some clips if I can find them before committing myself to watching an entire special.

"Have you ever noticed that? We base our assessment of the intelligence of others almost entirely on how closely their thinking matches our own. "

-Belgarath, from Belgarath the Sorcerer
IP Logged

BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #2 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 10:45am
Print Post  
Maestro wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 8:09pm:
No, I haven't seen it, but now it sounds like you're asking me to torture myself so we can talk about how it felt afterwards...

Maybe I'll watch some clips if I can find them before committing myself to watching an entire special.

You mean you're too anal to just stop watching it when it no longer interests you?

You should see a doctor about that.

When Q hears gallop noises he doesn't think zebras; he thinks there's a Democrat behind a curtain, making gallop noises.

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #3 - Jul 17th, 2018 at 11:36am
Print Post  
Maestro wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 8:09pm:

Maestro, that is EXACTLY what I'm asking! 

And c'mon.  Don't act like it's such a big deal.  We do it all the time.  I torture myself watching Trump speeches.  Listening to Rachel Maddow's nightly conspiracy theorizing.  Watching Congress in session.  I would put this "comedy" special on par with those in cultural importance.

This "comedy" farce was atrocious.  It's starting to come together that the problem on the left ... the reason they've become so illiberal and so authoritarian ... is they literally have no empathy or understanding of reality.  They live in an insulated bubble of talk show punditry.

They're like the denizens of the Capital in the "Hunger Games."

To give you a heads up on what you're in for.  The entire hour long special is a pity party about poor Hannah Gadsby's hard life.  How she thinks she's way funnier than she is (she constantly says both that and talks about how damn funny her jokes are ... some of which are rehashed jokes I've heard before from others who did them better.)  And how her entire act has herself as the butt of the joke.  An act which she barely put any work into ... by her own admission in interviews I've watched since ... and that as a reality show contestant winner never had to work to launch.  (I could find you 3 clips from the past ten years of her standup that would cover every joke in this Nanette special ... but you'd miss the spectacularly deluded 30 minute pity party so where's the fun in that.)

Quote:

There's no clips of the money shots.  There's no clips of the tears, the pity inducing rage and the #MeToo shoutouts.  This is such a blatant capitalization on the current political environment I'm stunned to my core there are so many "journalists" shitting themselves fawning all over her.

You owe it to yourself to watch this to see just how divorced from reality the illiberal neoleft has become.  Not just the special.  But these articles and reviews at major news outlets.  As a lifelong liberal I'm suddenly a stranger in a foreign land.

Queshank

IP Logged

Jasmine
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker
Conservative Caucus

God Bless America!

Reply #4 - yesterday at 1:42am
Print Post  
Out of curiosity, I YouTubed "Nanette" and the name of that lezbo comedienne, and I watched a few videos. Not in their entirety, because they were boring.

The only thing funny about the videos is the way she looks. She looks like the type of freak that we'd openly mock and taunt during high school.

I know she supposedly has some kind of ulterior motive to present herself that way, but it's just not appealing to any of my senses.

President Trump turned you into a snowflake? Woman up!

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #5 - yesterday at 2:22pm
Print Post  
Jasmine wrote yesterday at 1:42am:
Out of curiosity, I YouTubed "Nanette" and the name of that lezbo comedienne, and I watched a few videos. Not in their entirety, because they were boring.

The only thing funny about the videos is the way she looks. She looks like the type of freak that we'd openly mock and taunt during high school.

I know she supposedly has some kind of ulterior motive to present herself that way, but it's just not appealing to any of my senses.

I'm a weird dude Jasmine.  I thought Nanette was incredibly boring.  Yet for some reason I have watched everything I can find on Hannah Gadsby.  Clips of standup.  Old interviews.  New interviews.  To see if there's something I'm missing.  I've listened to music in the past and thought it was kinda meh and then later became a HUGE fan once I "got" it.  So I thought I'd make sure I'm not missing something.

The first time I watched it I made it 30 minutes in and was just boooored.  A few "kind of" funny jokes.  And a few that as I watched them I reacted like ... "Hey...that's the Angus joke I've been telling for 25 years with different props."  (My favorite joke but she managed to twist it enough to make it unfunny.)

I got my wife to watch it with me the 2nd time.  She actually got pissed off at about the 25 minute mark going into a rant of her own and refusing to watch it anymore.  But I kept seeing all these articles like the ones I shared in the first post.  So I made a pact with her to watch it again.  We both sat through the whole miserable affair.  And then I turned it into a social experiment and I've been trying to get every leftist I know to watch it to gauge reactions.  The next leftist woman I watched it with simply asked "Can we shut it off?  I'm bored." at the 20 minute mark.

The reason for the long winded prelude is ...

Check out this video where Hannah Gadsby literally complains that she is talented and really super funny and the only explanation for why she wasn't "breaking through" and getting more success is because her story "isn't compelling enough."  It's not her Jasmine, it's you.  And the left is lapping this shit up because she's a lesbian who calls out Donald Trump in a list of #MeToo powerful men.  Literally 5 minutes after she expresses support for Monica Lewinsky, she goes through a list of powerful men that should be punished by society and leaves Bill Clinton off the list.  Weird.

Okay and now it's important in my mind to realize that Hannah Gadsby's breakthru in comedy was ... winning a talent competition.  She took the "American Idol" route to break into her new career.  She doesn't play clubs.  She's never toured and put in the work.  She's never had a hostile, drunk audience in the basement of a Holiday Inn.  She only does annual festivals.  And writes one show a year.

Check out this interview with Seth Meyers where she basically owns up to being rather lazy.  "And like everything in my life" getting into comedy was "an accident."  "I don't move that quickly."

Personally I'm disappointed that the illiberal neo-left honestly thinks that's what comedy or the arts has ever been about.  Robin Williams famously developed his comedic chops as a defense mechanism because he was bullied relentlessly as a chubby child.  Guys like Bill Burr and Joe Rogan talk on their podcasts regularly about touring shitty dives and sleeping stacked in a room before they ever "broke through" and that they continued to do even AFTER they achieved some small measure of success.  Hannah on the other hand thinks she puts in more work than normal comedians because she writes "a new festival show every year."

She seems to represent a mindset on the left that things should just be handed to people.  Talent and success in the arts and in business aren't something people work hard and devote their life to.  It's something they're given. 

It's disgusting.  I'm honestly shocked and a little bit mortified.  And it shouldn't be condoned.  It's a thought process that should be stamped out.  Strangled in the cradle.  Before it takes root and leads to a cultural collapse.  It's not just anti American, it's anti Human.

Please.  Any leftist.  Tell me why I should be considering Hannah Gadsby the next George Carlin.  Reading the comments section of one review someone does a breakdown comparing Gadsby to Carlin, I shit you not. 

Queshank

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #6 - yesterday at 2:26pm
Print Post  
I took a trip to Scotland once to trace my roots and visit my extended family.  And while I was there I stopped into a pub to have a few drinks.  The pub wasn't very busy, so in time it wound up being just me and Angus the bartender, drinking a few drinks and having a good chat.

At one point in the evening as we're getting into our cups, Angus points to a cabinet over in the corner of the pub and says, "Y'see that cabinet o'er there?  I built that cabinet with me own two hands.  But do they call me Angus the Cabinet Maker?  No.  They don't call me Angus the Cabinet Maker."

A little while later after a few more pints, Angus again draws my attention and points out the window to a ship harbored in the bay.  "Y'see that ship out there?  I built that ship with me own two hands.  But do they call me Angus the Ship Maker?  No.  They don't call me Angus the Ship Maker."

And the night wears on.  Angus and I are becoming quite good friends by this point, having shared many stories from our childhood.  Bonding as only men in their cups can.  And Angus asks how I like the beer.  "That beer yer drinkin'?  I brewed that beer with me own two hands.  But do they call me Angus the Brewer?  No.  They don't call me Angus the Brewer.

But ya f*ck one goat..."

Queshank

IP Logged

Lovefingers
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

Erik stole my lunch money

Reply #7 - yesterday at 9:57pm
Print Post  
I have not watched the Nanette show but I know the comedienne. I think she's funny but not the comedy god she is being portrayed.  I think one of the problems is her delivery. It's so subtle and low key that a lot of what she says gets missed.

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #8 - yesterday at 10:55pm
Print Post  
Lovefingers wrote yesterday at 9:57pm:
I have not watched the Nanette show but I know the comedienne. I think she's funny but not the comedy god she is being portrayed.  I think one of the problems is her delivery. It's so subtle and low key that a lot of what she says gets missed.

There's a clip I saw of her talking about her name being a palindrome from 2008.  It was far and away the funniest thing I saw in my perusal of her material.  And a few of the jokes from that clip are in Nanette ... ten freaking years later.  (No harm in a cuddle ... I got a letter.) But not the funniest bits unfortunately.

This is the clip:

I just don't think she's got a lot in the tank.  She won a competition.  And then she spent ten years spinning her wheels getting nowhere. I have found no other clips that match that one in solid material from 2008. And then along came the circumstances for Harvey Weinstein and Donald Trump gave her an opportunity to give a political speech and capitalize on the zeitgeist. 

I like her subtle and low key delivery.  It sets up the type of contrast that could let her really lay a hammer down on a punch line.  I just don't think she's skilled enough to capitalize on it.  Perhaps if she were to take her show on the road and put in some work ...

Queshank

IP Logged

Lovefingers
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

Erik stole my lunch money

Reply #9 - Today at 1:02am
Print Post  
Queshank wrote yesterday at 10:55pm:
There's a clip I saw of her talking about her name being a palindrome from 2008.  It was far and away the funniest thing I saw in my perusal of her material.  And a few of the jokes from that clip are in Nanette ... ten freaking years later.  (No harm in a cuddle ... I got a letter.) But not the funniest bits unfortunately.

This is the clip:

I just don't think she's got a lot in the tank.  She won a competition.  And then she spent ten years spinning her wheels getting nowhere. I have found no other clips that match that one in solid material from 2008. And then along came the circumstances for Harvey Weinstein and Donald Trump gave her an opportunity to give a political speech and capitalize on the zeitgeist. 

I like her subtle and low key delivery.  It sets up the type of contrast that could let her really lay a hammer down on a punch line.  I just don't think she's skilled enough to capitalize on it.  Perhaps if she were to take her show on the road and put in some work ...

Queshank

I think you nailed it. There are a few comedians that I really like but couldn't move foreword with their material. There are female comedians and then there are female comedians.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereEntertainment Board › Hannah Gadsby's "Nanette"

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules