Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Ivanka Trump's Chinese-Made Products Conveniently Spared From Dad's Tariffs
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Ivanka Trump's Chinese-Made Products Conveniently Spared From Dad's Tariffs (Read 169 times)
Vypr
LNF Majority Leader

Tribunal of the Holy Office
of the Inquisition

Ivanka Trump's Chinese-Made Products Conveniently Spared From Dad's Tariffs
Jul 9th, 2018 at 8:58am
Print Post  
Ivanka Trump's Chinese-Made Products Conveniently Spared From Dad's Tariffs

Donald Trump’s tariffs on Chinese goods won’t touch Ivanka Trump’s foreign-made products for her fashion line.

While Trump rails at Harley-Davidson motorcycles for moving some production to Europe to dodge EU tariffs, the first daughter and senior White House adviser has never manufactured a single product for her Ivanka Trump brand on American soil.

Trump enacted tariffs Friday morning on $34 billion worth of Chinese goods, affecting hundreds of products from boats to medical devices and auto parts. Products spared include those manufactured by his daughter.

That means Chengdu Kameido Shoes in Sichuan province can continue to supply shoes for the Ivanka Trump brand as it has in the past. It’s currently bidding for a new contract to manufacture 140,000 pairs of shoes for Trump’s company, a spokesman told The South China Morning Post.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ivanka-trump-apos-chinese-made-041020687.html

RWB wrote on Nov 15th, 2017 at 9:32am:
Trump's an idiot everyone knows that

RWB wrote on Jan 27th, 2018 at 2:30pm:
I believe without a doubt Donald Trump is a sexual harasser

IP Logged

Maestro
Hardhat
The Writer's Croft

Re: Ivanka Trump's Chinese-Made Products Conveniently Spared From Dad's Tariffs
Reply #1 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 9:27am
Print Post  
This is not an excuse, just a wondering.

Given the scope of the federal government, is it even possible for a person with a business background to fulfill the role of elected legislator or executive in a way that doesn't impact those interests positively and therefore open him up to accusations of special treatment?

Obama didn't have a significant background in business, but George W. Bush did and he was routinely accused of helping or benefiting from his "big oil buddies."

Going from businessman/businesswoman to politician isn't something that we should disparage. It's as legitimate a leap as anything else. We've had doctors, actors, teachers, clergymen and any other number of such people run for and gain public office. (I would argue that going from the private sector straight to the White House isn't the best leap to make, but that's another thread.)

But it's difficult to imagine any businessman or businesswoman being able to speak on any act of legislation that in any way deals with the private sector without being accused of some kind of perfidy. A doctor voting on health care legislation? Sure, he's an expert, right? A teacher voting on an education bill? You bet! But a businessman voting on a deregulation bill or a tax bill? No way!

Just a thought.

As for this instance, yes Trump is and has been inconsistent on the "good businesses operate in America, bad businesses export their jobs overseas" mantra. Obviously if he's going to be slapping tariffs on countries he's opening himself up to legitimate criticism if he or his family have businesses in those countries which aren't being affected.

"Have you ever noticed that? We base our assessment of the intelligence of others almost entirely on how closely their thinking matches our own. "

-Belgarath, from Belgarath the Sorcerer
IP Logged

Ulysses
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

Secretary of State for
Tea and Biscuits

Reply #2 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 9:30am
Print Post  
Maestro,

Ever heard of a blind trust?

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, carrying a cross, and wearing road kill as a toupée

IP Logged

Vypr
LNF Majority Leader

of the Inquisition

Reply #3 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 9:31am
Print Post  
Maestro wrote on Jul 9th, 2018 at 9:27am:
This is not an excuse, just a wondering.

Given the scope of the federal government, is it even possible for a person with a business background to fulfill the role of elected legislator or executive in a way that doesn't impact those interests positively and therefore open him up to accusations of special treatment?

Obama didn't have a significant background in business, but George W. Bush did and he was routinely accused of helping or benefiting from his "big oil buddies."

Going from businessman/businesswoman to politician isn't something that we should disparage. It's as legitimate a leap as anything else. We've had doctors, actors, teachers, clergymen and any other number of such people run for and gain public office. (I would argue that going from the private sector straight to the White House isn't the best leap to make, but that's another thread.)

But it's difficult to imagine any businessman or businesswoman being able to speak on any act of legislation that in any way deals with the private sector without being accused of some kind of perfidy. A doctor voting on health care legislation? Sure, he's an expert, right? A teacher voting on an education bill? You bet! But a businessman voting on a deregulation bill or a tax bill? No way!

Just a thought.

As for this instance, yes Trump is and has been inconsistent on the "good businesses operate in America, bad businesses export their jobs overseas" mantra. Obviously if he's going to be slapping tariffs on countries he's opening himself up to legitimate criticism if he or his family have businesses in those countries which aren't being affected.

Trump Inc. got a $500 million loan from China right before Trump announced he was going to "save" ZTE and all those Chinese jobs. Also right before we found out Ivanka got all her China trademarks approved. It's too much. Being "in bed" with American businesses is one thing. This is too much.

IP Logged

Maestro
Hardhat
The Writer's Croft

Reply #4 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 9:38am
Print Post  
Ulysses wrote on Jul 9th, 2018 at 9:30am:
Maestro,

Ever heard of a blind trust?

Bush was accused of helping his unnamed friends, not himself. How would a blind trust help with that?

In the mind of the public, once a [insert job here] always a [insert job here]. How many times have you heard Obama called a "community organizer" by his opponents?

We all acknowledge that a businessman's job is to make money. I think that colors our perceptions of him differently than say a doctor, a teacher or even an athlete or actor.

"Have you ever noticed that? We base our assessment of the intelligence of others almost entirely on how closely their thinking matches our own. "

IP Logged

Maestro
Hardhat
The Writer's Croft

Reply #5 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 9:42am
Print Post  
Vypr wrote on Jul 9th, 2018 at 9:31am:
Trump Inc. got a $500 million loan from China right before Trump announced he was going to "save" ZTE and all those Chinese jobs. Also right before we found out Ivanka got all her China trademarks approved. It's too much. Being "in bed" with American businesses is one thing. This is too much.

I already said the criticism against him is legitimate.

IP Logged

Vypr
LNF Majority Leader

of the Inquisition

Reply #6 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 9:44am
Print Post  
Maestro wrote on Jul 9th, 2018 at 9:38am:
Bush was accused of helping his unnamed friends, not himself. How would a blind trust help with that?

In the mind of the public, once a [insert job here] always a [insert job here]. How many times have you heard Obama called a "community organizer" by his opponents?

We all acknowledge that a businessman's job is to make money. I think that colors our perceptions of him differently than say a doctor, a teacher or even an athlete or actor.

So then why have any laws, rules or guidelines at all? Just let him directly and openly use the Presidency to enrich himself and his family and do away with the need to make excuses for it. That's what his supporters would prefer I sense. I know that isn't you.

IP Logged

Maestro
Hardhat
The Writer's Croft

Reply #7 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 9:56am
Print Post  
Vypr wrote on Jul 9th, 2018 at 9:44am:
So then why have any laws, rules or guidelines at all? Just let him directly and openly use the Presidency to enrich himself and his family and do away with the need to make excuses for it. That's what his supporters would prefer I sense. I know that isn't you.

Vypr, this is a ridiculous response to what I said. I hardly even know where to begin.

It's no different from someone wondering if we treat most black men with unwarranted suspicion in this country and you responding with, "why don't we just legalize murder then?"

IP Logged

Ulysses
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

Secretary of State for
Tea and Biscuits

Reply #8 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 10:35am
Print Post  
Maestro wrote on Jul 9th, 2018 at 9:38am:

We're talking about TRUMP, not BUSH.

Do please try to keep up.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, carrying a cross, and wearing road kill as a toupée

IP Logged

Vypr
LNF Majority Leader

of the Inquisition

Reply #9 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 10:36am
Print Post  
Maestro wrote on Jul 9th, 2018 at 9:56am:
Vypr, this is a ridiculous response to what I said. I hardly even know where to begin.

It's no different from someone wondering if we treat most black men with unwarranted suspicion in this country and you responding with, "why don't we just legalize murder then?"

It's not really a response to you so much as it is a rhetorical response to the people who refuse to acknowledge there is a problem at all. I have heard people ask why Trump should have to have given up control of his business at all. People just don't get it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Ivanka Trump's Chinese-Made Products Conveniently Spared From Dad's Tariffs

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules