Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › New USSC justice - libs in trouble now
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) New USSC justice - libs in trouble now (Read 360 times)
patrick2
LNF Speaker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Re: New USSC justice - libs in trouble now
Reply #20 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
Luther wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 6:58am:
Look at Pat getting all excited

He must not know that the left is winning the culture wars where the real battle is at Wink

That's true, but the left has pulled that off with the aid of a powerful ally for nearly a century, the federal courts - but that's about to change.  Wink

IP Logged

patrick2
LNF Speaker

Reply #21 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 2:37pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

patrick2
LNF Speaker

Reply #22 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Limey. wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 1:19pm:
Just out of interest, how does the overtly political appointment of Justices sit with your conception of the separation of powers?

Thanks.

Are you talking to me?  We've put up with libs there for 80 years - why change now?
« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2018 at 3:59pm by patrick2 »  

IP Logged

EF
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #23 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
Archie wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 10:18pm:
I don’t get it. Simple question. Is it or is it not an abortion the taking of a life?
And what does it have to do with the constitution of the United States?
If it is the taking of a life. It is against the law.

Smiley

It is the taking of a life, but it is not, currently, against the law if certain conditions are met.

Even when it WAS against the law, it was not treated like murder.  Seldom was it prosecuted, and never (to my knowledge) was anybody other than the abortionist prosecuted. Those paying him or her to do it or otherwise aiding and abetting in the commission of the act (which would include the pregnant female unless it was performed against her will) were let off scot free.  Aiders and abetters in murder are prosecuted just like the trigger puller.

And this is the issue alleged pro-lifers have to address.  They want it to be illegal, but most of them don't see it as equivalent to murder.  They want to go back to the "good old days" when it was illegal, but still easy to get.  They're offended by it.  They don't really care a rip about the dead baby.

Now do you get it?  I am betting not.

non sumus stulti
but
accidit stercore

IP Logged

EF
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #24 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
Limey. wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 1:19pm:
Just out of interest, how does the overtly political appointment of Justices sit with your conception of the separation of powers?

Thanks.

I don't know of a less political way one can do it.  A chief executive appoints, the higher body of the legislature is charged with confirming (or not, which does happen).  And they serve for life, which means they don't need to worry about keeping anybody happy to keep their job. 

There are problems with any system of selecting justices.  But this is about the least political way I can think of.

non sumus stulti
but
accidit stercore

IP Logged

Limey.
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #25 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
EF wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 3:22pm:
I don't know of a less political way one can do it.  A chief executive appoints, the higher body of the legislature is charged with confirming (or not, which does happen).  And they serve for life, which means they don't need to worry about keeping anybody happy to keep their job. 

There are problems with any system of selecting justices.  But this is about the least political way I can think of.

But the overtly political nature - lots of threads here are gleeful approval of the political leanings of one judge or another by one faction or another.

Courts here in UK are determinedly non-political; the appointment process is from within the court system and legal profession, only rubber-stamped by the Government.

Under Capitalism, Man exploits Man.

Under Communism, it's the exact opposite.

IP Logged

Ulysses
LNF House Leader
LNF Bunker

THE DEMS WON THE HOUSE!
HA HA HA!

Reply #26 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
Limey. wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 3:35pm:
But the overtly political nature - lots of threads here are gleeful approval of the political leanings of one judge or another by one faction or another.

Courts here in UK are determinedly non-political; the appointment process is from within the court system and legal profession, only rubber-stamped by the Government.

That would be since the UK Constitution Reform Act of 2005. Prior to that, the Lord Chancellor, appointed by the Queen on the advice of the PM, combined executive, legislative, and judicial functions in one office, and this could be overtly political, since the LC could elevate jurists of his choosing for consideration for high court appointments. Since 2005, the LC only supervises the process, and must accept the nominations of an independent committee.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, carrying a cross, and wearing road kill as a toupée

IP Logged

patrick2
LNF Speaker

Reply #27 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 4:06pm
Print Post  

The legal profession here is a stalwart member of the left wing - I can think of nothing worse than having them choose the judges. 

IP Logged

EF
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #28 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 7:29pm
Print Post  

I think people who gleefully point to "liberal" and "conservative" judges with the thought that there will be a signficant change in direction are not being realistic.

non sumus stulti
but
accidit stercore

IP Logged

Theres a Gorilla Behind you
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

Erik stole my lunch money

Reply #29 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
Well, they will be disappointed if he turns out to not be an activist judge. Their biggest concern should be how they act during the confirmation. So far they are looking ridiculous.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › New USSC justice - libs in trouble now

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules