Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Religious Freedom .. .
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Religious Freedom .. . (Read 441 times)
Semi-Omnipotent
LNF Party Leader

Part time God

Religious Freedom .. .
Jul 10th, 2018 at 10:46am
Print Post  
'Faith healing' parents plead guilty in newborn's death

Two members of an Oregon church that shuns traditional medicine in favor of prayer and anointing the sick with oils pleaded guilty Monday to negligent homicide and criminal mistreatment in the death of their newborn daughter, who struggled to breathe for hours as family and friends prayed over her but did not seek medical care.

Sarah Mitchell and her husband, Travis Lee Mitchell, had originally been charged with murder by neglect and criminal mistreatment in the 2017 death of the premature baby. They each were sentenced to almost seven years in prison, with credit for 13 months in custody awaiting trial and credit for good behavior.

It marked the fifth criminal case in Clackamas County, south of Portland, involving the death of a child from the religious community known as the Followers of Christ Church. Several members have been convicted of crimes for failing to seek medical care for their children, including Sarah Mitchell’s sister and brother-in-law.

----

Religious freedom or time for some Jasmine style justice?

IP Logged

billy.pilgrim
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Re: Religious Freedom .. .
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 11:09am
Print Post  
Semi-Omnipotent wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 10:46am:
'Faith healing' parents plead guilty in newborn's death

Two members of an Oregon church that shuns traditional medicine in favor of prayer and anointing the sick with oils pleaded guilty Monday to negligent homicide and criminal mistreatment in the death of their newborn daughter, who struggled to breathe for hours as family and friends prayed over her but did not seek medical care.

Sarah Mitchell and her husband, Travis Lee Mitchell, had originally been charged with murder by neglect and criminal mistreatment in the 2017 death of the premature baby. They each were sentenced to almost seven years in prison, with credit for 13 months in custody awaiting trial and credit for good behavior.

It marked the fifth criminal case in Clackamas County, south of Portland, involving the death of a child from the religious community known as the Followers of Christ Church. Several members have been convicted of crimes for failing to seek medical care for their children, including Sarah Mitchell’s sister and brother-in-law.

----

Religious freedom or time for some Jasmine style justice?   

Let the Sky Fairy decide. Stick them both in a room filled with Ebola virus and see what happens.

the wis-dum of acrhie
"I am sure Trump is like me."
"There is no capitalism under Obama’s rule. He is a fu8&^ communist."

IP Logged

Semi-Omnipotent
LNF Party Leader

Part time God

Reply #2 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
billy.pilgrim wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 11:09am:
Let the Sky Fairy decide. Stick them both in a room filled with Ebola virus and see what happens.

Good point.  Praying for the bloody diarrhea to stop sounds fitting.. .

IP Logged

petep
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

Reply #3 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
Like a Christian scientist with a case of appendicitis.

Of course you are citing such an extreme example. It’d be like citing a rape committed by a person of a particular race, and lumping all with the rapist. Absolutely foolish. Not sure what the point of your post is. Maybe just there are some fringe radical extremists.

IP Logged

Semi-Omnipotent
LNF Party Leader

Part time God

Reply #4 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
petep wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 1:36pm:

Of course you are citing such an extreme example. It’d be like citing a rape committed by a person of a particular race, and lumping all with the rapist. Absolutely foolish. Not sure what the point of your post is. Maybe just there are some fringe radical extremists.

I'm waiting to hear from the Seawolfs about how the court in this case infringed on the parent's right of religious freedom..

Didn't they?

IP Logged

billy.pilgrim
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #5 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
petep wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 1:36pm:

Not at all. These loons choose to endanger themselves and their children. They weren't born conspiracy theorists

the wis-dum of acrhie
"I am sure Trump is like me."
"There is no capitalism under Obama’s rule. He is a fu8&^ communist."

IP Logged

petep
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

Reply #6 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
Semi-Omnipotent wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 1:40pm:
I'm waiting to hear from the Seawolfs about how the court in this case infringed on the parent's right of religious freedom..

Didn't they?

I think you are being a hypocrite. For example abortion. The courts have been clear that a person begins at conception. It is a homo sapien. That is not disputed. It is why a pregnant women killed is ruled a double homicide at any stage of the pregnancy.

The courts have also ruled in favor of woman’s rights regarding abortion, that she and she alone can decide on the life of another human inside her. The courts have ruled it’s not homicide if she does it

So you clearly feel the courts should not allow the parents religious freedom to choice. I’m not saying parents should be able to deny healthy options.

But you can see tbe hypocricy I’m sure.

IP Logged

crepe05
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #7 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
The point of Fiddle-de-de's post is that religion is bad.  He doesn't believe so he doesn't want to allow anyone else to believe in God, so he occasionally mocks them.  Never, ever, does he give credit to God.

My brother is married to a Christian Scientist who also doesn't believe in medication.  She now is in what I call a "nursing Home" but I forget what they call it.  She receives solace from the prayers that are communicated over the intercom or whatever its called, and is slowly getting weaker and weaker because physical therapy also isn't focused on.  However, she is quite content and claims to be pain free.  My brother is not of that faith/belief, so he goes to see her daily and spends 7 or 8 hours there with her.  It would drive me nutso, but he is able to withstand the boringness better than I could, I think.  No complaints from him.

I admire my sister-in-law's faith to see her through what might be the end of her life span, but I prefer meds and physical therapy when needed.  I believe that God gave some people the knowledge to find causes/cures for disease, and I say "Praise God".

I do have enough smarts to say at one point in my 26 day hospital stay after my car accident, to take me off the pain meds asap.  I eventually noticed on my instruction board the words "No narcotics", and I was delighted.

If an adult prefers to practice health measures through faith, then more power to them, I say.  However, forcing it on babies makes me a wee bit weak in the knees, but I do figure that if it's okay for others to practice Sharia Law, then what the heck.  Keep it out of the court system.  The wicket gets very sticky there.  If we can kill babies at 8 months in the womb, then we've already lost any argument against faith healing and babies.

IP Logged

petep
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

Reply #8 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
Can’t argue that.

Many who preach big govt left thinking seek to control.

IP Logged

Semi-Omnipotent
LNF Party Leader

Part time God

Reply #9 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
petep wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 1:48pm:
I think you are being a hypocrite.

Actually I'm exposing hypocrisy..   The Seawolfs must decide if they truly support Religious Freedom or if government should be used to overrule a parent's decision.

The courts have also ruled in favor of woman’s rights regarding abortion, that she and she alone can decide on the life of another human inside her. The courts have ruled it’s not homicide if she does it

~70% of Americans want to keep a woman's right to choose legal. 

So you clearly feel the courts should not allow the parents religious freedom to choice.

I can see two options.. Consider what the parents did as attempted murder, remove the child (if he/she wasn't already dead) from that hostile environment and raise the child in a normal family.. or .. perhaps the child is better off dead considering the life of mental torment he/she was about to face .. 

But you can see tbe hypocricy I’m sure.

Yep .. That's why I posted this..

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Religious Freedom .. .

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules